• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of building another SMR.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I already have a SMR in .45 cal and a Tennessee in .40 cal.. Both stocks from Pecatonica. I love the SMR profile and it fits me well. I've really wanted a slim, light SMR in .36 caliber. I find that Pecatonica is always willing to accommodate a buyer with custom requests. So, I'm thinking of having them cut an SMR stock with a 3/4" barrel channel and a 5/16" ramrod groove. A Colerain barrel w/round bottom rifling. No inletting for the lock as I like doing that myself. I'll be using either a Chambers Late Ketland or a Chambers Queen Anne. So, chime in and give your thoughts/recommendations. Yes, you too Dave Persons! LOL!

hello friend

I’m working on a tenn mountain rifle from pecatonica and it’s a 45 cal . the stock was inletting for the barrel and ram rod . I letting the lock and butt plate and all I got left is inlet the ram rod pipes .
for your build colerain barrels is one of the best . I have a 32cal that mr Curtis build, I believe that Tip use colerain barrels . I and I build a 20ga with a colerain barrel with a queen Ann lock.
I want to try a rice barrel for my next project .

hello friend

I’m working on a tenn mountain rifle from pecatonica and it’s a 45 cal . the stock was inletting for the barrel and ram rod . I letting the lock and butt plate and all I got left is inlet the ram rod pipes .
for your build colerain barrels is one of the best . I have a 32cal that mr Curtis build, I believe that Tip use colerain barrels . I and I build a 20ga with a colerain barrel with a queen Ann lock.
I want to try a rice barrel for my next project .
This is my .40 cal. Tennessee Mountan rife. Stock from Pecatonica. I can't wait to shoot it.

Attachments

• 20201206_124946.jpg
    20201206_124946.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20201206_125016.jpg
    20201206_125016.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201204_111347.jpg
    20201204_111347.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 20201204_110632.jpg
    20201204_110632.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 20201204_112138.jpg
    20201204_112138.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 129
I’m probably doing the opposite of you this winter. Last winter I done a PR Tenn .32 cal and 3/4” bbl. Plan to do a .45 Tenn with 13/16 bbl this time. Was really happy with the .32 so a mate in .45 seems logical. I’m sticking with square cut rifling and L&R Manton lock.

Hi Pooch,
No southern mountain rifle in existence has a round-faced English lock from the 1760s. They were not built until the 19th century. I also urge you to change your cheek pieces. They should have a concave profile not convex and be much smaller. Look at Kibler's SMR for a guide. Moreover, if you had so much trouble with the L&R Bedford lock, why on earth would you choose another L&R? Here is reworking an L&R Queen Anne:
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60628.msg607217#msg607217
dave

Hi Pooch,
No southern mountain rifle in existence has a round-faced English lock from the 1760s. They were not built until the 19th century. I also urge you to change your cheek pieces. They should have a concave profile not convex and be much smaller. Look at Kibler's SMR for a guide. Moreover, if you had so much trouble with the L&R Bedford lock, why on earth would you choose another L&R? Here is reworking an L&R Queen Anne:
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60628.msg607217#msg607217
dave
I am not choosing an L&R lock Dave. Chambers makes a Late Ketland and Queen Anne. What would your suggestion be for a lock on this SMR? I'm listening for sure.

Hi,
As usual, Dane is bang on. Chambers late Ketland or Kibler's . A bit of history that helps. Round-faced locks were popular on all quality guns during the first half of the 18th century. However, by mid century the fashion was for flat locks. The French already change decades earlier and the British fashion changed in the 1760s. Germans still used round-faced locks on a few guns but they usually made flat locks with detached pans and bolsters. By 1760 or so, round-faced locks were used only on cheap trade guns, livery guns, and military guns. Occasionally, a big water fowl gun will still have one and the Germans still made some high end guns with them. In the 19the century the fashion everywhere was for flat locks and Americans could import good English locks at low prices. In fact, cheaper than they could be made in America, so many SMRs had imported English locks that were flat faced. Most of what we call SMRs were made after 1820 when even cheap Ketland, Barnett, etc trade gun locks were flat.

dave

Got a email off to Pecatonica asking if they have the .36 cal, 3/4" barrel in stock. I've built four flintlock rifles and each one get s a little better. The inletting for inlays, wire and furniture in general don't present a problem for me. I'm fortunate in that that is easy for me. The problem for me is having the knowledge of how a particular stock should be shaped. As Dave Person has stated the cheek piece on a SMR needs to be concave rather than convex. These are the things a person needs to know and that info can be found here on this forum. Again, my hat is off to all of you!

Hi Pooch,
Look very closely at the shape and contours of Kibler SMRs. I am not saying that to plug Jim's guns but because he used a really fine original rifle as a model. It has all the classic features of the best SMRs. You cannot do better than try and copy many of those design features exhibited by his kit. Good luck.

dave

Spoke with Pecatonica a few minutes ago. Placed my order for a .36 Caliber, 3/4" x 42" barrel. Last one that they had. I'm having them cut the dovetails for the sights and the under lugs. Why aren't I cutting my own dovetails? Because I can. LOL. I'm debating on the type of wood for the stock. Toss up between CM4 and Cherry. I love them both. Any suggestions fella's? My reading leads me to believe that some were adorned with silver along with the iron furniture. Brass was not available. Silver coins were the source of the silver . . . from what I have read. Any suggestions are welcome so feel free to comment.

Cut out the profile on tracing paper today. Ordered my stock blank from Pecatonica. Was planning on CM4 but . . . the online catalog is far outdated. Stock blanks have increased in price by $35.00. So I settled for CM3. But I know I'll like it anyway. They always supply better than expected quality. I've never been disappointed with them. Barrel should be here soon as they charged my debit card on 07/07.

Attachments

• 20210712_142917.jpg
    20210712_142917.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210712_142936.jpg
    20210712_142936.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210712_145133.jpg
    20210712_145133.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Back