• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thinking About Having a Scottish Musket Made.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,
Rule 3 Posts must be in English.
Please use the PM feature if you are going with a language other than English. Thanks

LD
While Ime sure the poster is in earnest I don't have a command of German or whatever it was written in (.I did Ironically buy a German English English German translator book but only since it had very thin quality paper to make cartridge's & patches from !.) I can follow spoken French, Spanish & even some Fang Alor & Zulu . .But from the jist of his post he referrer's to Felix Werder a Swiss maker from mid 17c ' Tiguri' .viz Todays Zurich maybe then the German part. I did make a 45 rifle 'after' Felix Werder nice early flint per the post ago pic Pukka sent for me . Very fond of it has a hunting rifle . So till I can read what the poster seeks or bump into some German traveler Ime unable to help the poster .I do understand some Yorkshire dialects If that helps. & can speak tolerably good ''Strine" from being in Australia a lot .
Have just run over the Post sent me by' Roger ' I think I get the drift he's I think saying he too makes guns 'After 'Felix Werder and is I think complimenting my one attempt at this makers work (Only the original has a hammered brass barrel ) . I swamped an Orian 45 cal brl made all the lock and added a tool box on the LH side ( it's never shown the reverse & I like tool boxes ) If I understood him Ime appreciative so Danke /Thank you .If he likes I can take more detailed pics of what I call 'Felix'

Regards Rudyard

Sorry that I wrote my message in German. The question was, after which original was the rifle made? The only Felix Werder carbine I know is the one from the Historical Museum in Vienna and it has a later flintlock (see also A. Hoff and W. Boeheim). I'm a collector and I'm writing a book about Felix Werder. In addition I am looking for all originals and copies worldwide.
many thanks
Roger

Sorry that I wrote my message in German. The question was, after which original was the rifle made? The only Felix Werder carbine I know is the one from the Historical Museum in Vienna and it has a later flintlock (see also A. Hoff and W. Boeheim). I'm a collector and I'm writing a book about Felix Werder. In addition I am looking for all originals and copies worldwide.
many thanks
Roger
The rifle was based on the style of the Felix Werder guns that formed a suite of carbine & two pistols apparently presented for some reason & resides in some Swiss ? Museum . each I think had his' Invented' feature presumably the hammered brass barrels The basis of his article . That form of lock & its style isn't meant to copy exactly but just draws from his general style An article by Arne Hoff in Robert Helds vol 1 (And only ) excellent 'Arms & Armor annual ' While the Carbine has a flat underside lock he also made pistols that had the Wheellock shaped locks figs 1 & 11 of his article and these locks are not so very far from my interpretation . I didn't intend a copy just drew from his work .Hence the 'After' & it's a 45 cal rifle .pics to enclose later .. Why I made it is simply I liked the style and thought it a good piece to draw from .If anything I see it as in his honour. Him & me fellow gunmakers. I don't know any other guns original or newly made in his style or by him
Regards Rudyard.
1672816853352.png

1672816842698.png
1672816835273.png
1672816827571.png

1672816816265.png

Last edited:
Dear Rudyard
Thank you very much for the information. A really nice rifle. I was hoping to find another Felix Werder original but this imitation is really successful. Congratulation.
Best regards Roger

Dear Rudyard
Thank you very much for the information. A really nice rifle. I was hoping to find another Felix Werder original but this imitation is really successful. Congratulation.
Best regards Roger
Dear Roger . I'me pleased you like my rifle your Avatar seems to show at least one other Werder pistol and possibly related flask . I like archaic guns of any nation the shapes interest me,' Felix' for such I call it is pleasant to carry & I hunted with it a good bit in the local mountains. As I did with a cheek stock wheellock Suhl region circa 1660s I made copying a friends original. its 45 as well '.Modern people' find these sorts awkward but after a long hunt they become quite normal .
Regards Rudyard

The rifle was based on the style of the Felix Werder guns that formed a suite of carbine & two pistols apparently presented for some reason & resides in some Swiss ? Museum . each I think had his' Invented' feature presumably the hammered brass barrels The basis of his article . That form of lock & its style isn't meant to copy exactly but just draws from his general style An article by Arne Hoff in Robert Helds vol 1 (And only ) excellent 'Arms & Armor annual ' While the Carbine has a flat underside lock he also made pistols that had the Wheellock shaped locks figs 1 & 11 of his article and these locks are not so very far from my interpretation . I didn't intend a copy just drew from his work .Hence the 'After' & it's a 45 cal rifle .pics to enclose later .. Why I made it is simply I liked the style and thought it a good piece to draw from .If anything I see it as in his honour. Him & me fellow gunmakers. I don't know any other guns original or newly made in his style or by him
Regards Rudyard.View attachment 187362

View attachment 187361View attachment 187360View attachment 187359
View attachment 187358
Is there an advantage to the brass lock plate, besides looking super cool?

Is there an advantage to the brass lock plate, besides looking super cool?
Yes it can be sand cast & worked up any shape otherwise non I can think of any but the original had one I believe it had a brass barrel too but I couldn't make that its softer but Ile never wear it out .
Regards Rudyard

many thanks
Roger
Hi Roger, I have what I believe to be an original Felix Werder flintlock lock. It is signed "Felix Werder. F." What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20231207_131525.jpg
    20231207_131525.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231207_131503.jpg
    20231207_131503.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231207_131058.jpg
    20231207_131058.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Not sure how' Felix' popped up again , The lock is undoubtably by Felix Werder if Ime any judge my rifles lock is by me' After' Brer Felix . Then we drifted off into Snap matchlocks & Shishoni's and all sorts of wonderous & weird stocking styles .Got to love it Eh?. Whether Abo 99 is still with us on this merry ride I know not But to he and all of us' fellow travellers ' I wish you all the Compliments of the Season & successfull reserching in the New year .
Regards Rudyard

Back