• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking about getting my first cap and ball revolver.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone seems to go ga-ga over the 1851 Navy. Sure they were popular back in the day, but they don't hit to POA. When I was a kid, Dad brought home an 1861 navy - better blade front sight, and one of the most beautiful revolvers Colt ever built. Over 50 years later, I still have it & it's a tack driver.
Replica Arms 1861 Colt Navy to post.jpg

1858 $Rem Navy Model.jpeg

Of course, if you don't like the wedge to disassemble a Colt, the 1858 Remington is a solid choice. I have both .36 cal & .44 cal & the sights are a little better. The .36 cal ball breaks the sound barrier with hotter loads and has a distinctive 'crack' when fired.
Both Uberti & Pietta use start-of-the-art machining, so shop by price & availability. Steel frame only.

In my somewhat limited experience I would suggest go for a Remington 1858 clone as a first venture into the dark side. The one piece frame instantly eliminates a possible cause of frustration from cylinder gap/wedge issues. You may also see fewer cap jams.

If you do decide on an open frame Colt possibly Pietta would be a better choice due to the Uberti arbour issues although a quick search would give many possible resolutions.

As for calibre, it's purely personal choice, I go for .44 as I just like big holes in stuff but a .36 would be probably be cheaper to feed.

Steel or brass frame depends on you. If you like shooting lots of full power loads I would go steel, if you are happy plinking with lighter loads, brass would most likely suffice.

Having said all that, it probably won't be your last BP pistol so buy something that takes your fancy and go from there.

I'm seriously debating buying my first cap and ball revolver. I'm relatively new to muzzleloading, and I am uneducated in the ways of the cap and ball revolver. In your guys' opinions, what is a good "beginner" cap and ball revolver? I was looking at an Uberti 1851 Navy, but if you guys have any better ideas, let me know. Thanks!
- Grant
I just got my first BP revolver this yr. after everything I’ve read & heard about them, the Ruger Old Army - ROA takes the top place in quality & performance. So that’s what I got. It has lived up to its reputation & I couldn’t be more pleased with it.
I saw that your budget is around 500.00 & you’re looking for an “ entry level “ BP pistol. I’d recommend you change your perspective on that & instead of buying a cheaper gun, then sell it later to upgrade, to save up enough money now to just buy a ROA right from the start & keep it forever.

A $500 budget basically opens many options for you. My recommendation is -

1) Buy Uberti - many will argue over a quality difference but Uberti has the edge and you can't argue with the aesthetics given the fact that Uberti hides the ugly Black Powder disclaimers whereas Pietta puts them prominently on the barrel. Just ugly and stupid to put this info so prominently on a replica.
2) Buy 44 caliber - more fun to shoot a larger load, which you can also reduce if required. Also, when you want another gun - which just happens once you get into BP, your 44 equipment, balls, etc. can be shared as there are many 44 caliber options to make owning, buying, shooting, and enjoying additional guns easier.
3) Buy a Colt replica - The history and evolution of the revolver are in your hand when you shoot a colt.
4) Buy a replica of an actual historic gun, caliber, and barrel length - an actual historical shooting experience is just plain enjoyable
5) Avoid brass frame options. Your budget eliminates the requirement to skimp and buy a lesser quality gun.
6) Consider replacement nipples for your gun from the start in your budget - Ampco, slick shot (my preference), etc. More colt replica new and used options pop up if you watch and you need to factor in the equipment needed to shoot and clean.
7) Start looking for percussion caps after you read this and buy some when found regardless of price so you can shoot your gun when you get it instead of just fondling it for a while. BP is available so less of an issue right now.

1st choice recommendation - Uberti 1860 Army 44
2nd choice - Uberti 2nd Generation Dragoon 44 - big guns are really fun to shoot and make for great conversation at the range. Suggesting 2nd generation only because that was the version that originally sold the most but a deal on any model Dragoon is worth it.
3rd choice - If 44 is not the way to go for you then the Uberti 1851/1861Navy as others have noted.

Enjoy your BP journey.

Last edited:
I personally would go with a Pietta 1858 steel Remington. The sights are much better than the Colt clones and cap jams are less of a hassle. The cylinder is super easy and fast to remove too. After you get your feet wet, then move on to a 51 Navy steel frame. Being a .36 you can feel the difference when you shoot it, less recoil and lighter. I stared with the Remington then moved on to the Colts. My last purchase was a Dragoon that is a powerhouse.

This was my first BP purchase and love shooting it.

E2F1ED5A-330E-4FF1-AE3D-85700BC02C4B.jpeg

A $500 budget basically opens many options for you. My recommendation is -

1) Buy Uberti - many will argue over a quality difference but Uberti has the edge and you can't argue with the aesthetics given the fact that Uberti hides the ugly Black Powder disclaimers whereas Pietta puts them prominently on the barrel. Just ugly and stupid to put this info so prominently on a replica.
2) Buy 44 caliber - more fun to shoot a larger load, which you can also reduce if required. Also, when you want another gun - which just happens once you get into BP, your 44 equipment, balls, etc. can be shared as there are many 44 caliber options to make owning, buying, shooting, and enjoying additional guns easier.
3) Buy a Colt replica - The history and evolution of the revolver are in your hand when you shoot a colt.
4) Buy a replica of an actual historic gun, caliber, and barrel length - an actual historical shooting experience is just plain enjoyable
5) Avoid brass frame options. Your budget eliminates the requirement to skimp and buy a lesser quality gun.
6) Consider replacement nipples for your gun from the start in your budget - Ampco, slick shot (my preference), etc. More colt replica new and used options pop up if you watch and you need to factor in the equipment needed to shoot and clean.
7) Start looking for percussion caps after you read this and buy some when found regardless of price so you can shoot your gun when you get it instead of just fondling it for a while. BP is available so less of an issue right now.

1st choice recommendation - Uberti 1860 Army 44
2nd choice - Uberti 2nd Generation Dragoon 44 - big guns are really fun to shoot and make for great conversation at the range. Suggesting 2nd generation only because that was the version that originally sold the most but a deal on any model Dragoon is worth it.
3rd choice - If 44 is not the way to go for you then the Uberti 1851/1861Navy as others have noted.

Enjoy your BP journey.
Actually, the 3rd Model Dragoon had the longest production run of that series . . . 1851-61 . . . over 10,000. The 2nd Model was the least produced save for the Whitneyville. I definitely agree with you that ANY Dragoon is a Dragoon worth having!!!
With a name like "Goon", there'll be no argument from me!! Lol!!

Mike

Actually, the 3rd Model Dragoon had the longest production run of that series . . . 1851-61 . . . over 10,000. The 2nd Model was the least produced save for the Whitneyville. I definitely agree with you that ANY Dragoon is a Dragoon worth having!!!
With a name like "Goon", there'll be no argument from me!! Lol!!

Mike
Can't argue with facts. Especially when they are correct ;) Definitely in agreement that any Goon is better than no Goon and the rest is academic.

I do understand that the Uberti 3rd model is not representative of an actual model with stock cutouts and the older style loading level latch. By that model, Colt apparently had the newer, better, stronger latch on the Dragoon like they had on on the Navy. But, if those facts also fall to scrutiny and better knowledge, I'll stay with my recommendation for 2nd generation because I like the square trigger guard and hammer roller.

I started shooting black power in 1979. Got my first C&B revolver for Christmas 2021. It was like starting over. The only piece of equipment I had that was appropriate was a power measure. I got a Pieta 1851 Navy 36.

I started shooting black power in 1979. Got my first C&B revolver for Christmas 2021. It was like starting over. The only piece of equipment I had that was appropriate was a power measure. I got a Pieta 1851 Navy 36.
How’s it shootin for ya?

There is not much difference between Uberti and Pietta these days. I have some 2018 and 2019 Pietta that are fantastic shooters. I don't know how badly Covid hit them. The supply chain for these guns is still very ragged. Finding caps can also be a challenge.

I would recommend the Remington New Model Army (1858) over any of the Colt designs. The Remington is a technologically superior evolution of the revolver over the Colt design. The gun barrel does not have to be removed from the frame to remove the cylinder. The sights are not part of the hammer and so do not move on firing. There is only a single screw holding the grips on the 1858 and when removed the wood comes off so the gun can easily be "dunk cleaned". I only recommend this if you have compressed air for blasting the nooks and crannies dry. With the Colts, you must remove the backstrap to remove the grips and at that point you're half-way to a complete tear-down anyway. The Remington is also marginally better at not getting cap jams.

As others have said, I prefer historical reproductions and so I avoid "fantasy" versions such as "Navy" revolvers in .44 caliber, or guns with brass frames that never had them.

Once you go down this road you may wish to check out Eras Gone Bullet Molds - they offer a variety of bullet molds that will produce very accurate copies of historical revolver bullets.

Eras Gone Bullet Molds.
My last two Pietta's are covid era arms. Both are excellent mechanically and cosmetically.

Can't argue with facts. Especially when they are correct ;) Definitely in agreement that any Goon is better than no Goon and the rest is academic.

I do understand that the Uberti 3rd model is not representative of an actual model with stock cutouts and the older style loading level latch. By that model, Colt apparently had the newer, better, stronger latch on the Dragoon like they had on on the Navy. But, if those facts also fall to scrutiny and better knowledge, I'll stay with my recommendation for 2nd generation because I like the square trigger guard and hammer roller.
Well, that's fine that you like what you like but facts are facts and the round trigger guard that denotes 3rd Model started in '51 and sold till '61. Shoulder stock cut outs and flip up sights were military only so . . . redefining history for new folks is misleading at best. 2,000 + 2nd Models vs. 10,000 + 3rd Models doesn't quite add up.

Mike

IF you can find a ROA in GOOD condition for $500 or less or a bit more, I would definitely buy it :thumb: . They are great revolvers. Be careful of how you install and lock the base pin in the frame because you can bend it on ramming the ball home if not installed correctly. Parts are almost nonexistent for these guns BUT you can find new base pins from an aftermarket manufacture along with some other parts, but they are not cheap. BP revolvers are FUN - good luck and let us know how you made out:ThankYou::ghostly:

I'm seriously debating buying my first cap and ball revolver. I'm relatively new to muzzleloading, and I am uneducated in the ways of the cap and ball revolver. In your guys' opinions, what is a good "beginner" cap and ball revolver? I was looking at an Uberti 1851 Navy, but if you guys have any better ideas, let me know. Thanks!
- Grant

Before cartridge revolvers came along the development of percussion revolvers had pretty much been taken to the practical limits of ergonomics and metallurgy. Even with the limitations of what the reproduction industry produces these days you have a lot to choose from. The 1851 is an excellent choice for starting out whether you get a .36 caliber or one of the "never was" .44's that are a staple of both Pietta and Uberti.
A .44 on a 1851 frame is such a naturally wonderful fit that everyone oughta have one. In .36 caliber it's a perfectly balanced handgun. My reaction is "What's not to like?"

I would go with a Colt Navy. The Colt design allows more shots before fouling binds things up. After a couple of cylinders full my Remington's cylinder starts to bind up and will eventually bend the hand spring trying to rotate the cylinder. A .36 uses less lead and less powder saving money for your next purchase :thumb:
The Colt Navy is one of the most "feel good in the hands" revolvers!

Back