• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THINKING ABOUT COLORING MY HEAD.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I recently purchased a TOTW wax caste Iroquois Tomahawk The head is made out of 4140 Alloy Steel and is a bit on the silvery side. I am using a file and some emery cloth to "age" it a bit, however it still looks on the lighter side rather than steel that was directly forged. I am thinking of using their Brown or Blue color on the head in order to make it look more aged and authentic. Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on me doing this. Thanks.
Based on the title I thought you were referring to war paint..........

f8ad15b49831117e82133f4f6520b044--longhunter-cherokee-nation.jpg

I was right curious. I instantly thought of our hands when our daddy would make us hull bushels of walnuts he brought down from the trees above the high pastures. And he was the only one who liked the daggone things! We sure colored our hands!! I kinda like black walnut ice cream now, tho. But all six of my kids do not!!

Mustard Browning is actually vinegar aging..., the mustard simply helps it to stay in an even layer if that's what is desired, for straight, hot vinegar being liquid will bead up on metal and may give a "measles" appearance.

As for one side not taking the aging as another I'd venture to guess that how the 'hawk was quenched and them tempered made one side a bit harder, just enough to cause an difference when aged.

LD
That must be it. I tried 3 times to get the other side to age like the first... just wouldn’t do it.

Vinegar fumes are actually much more acidic than liquid vinegar.

That's a good point,

But I think what's happening to accelerate the rusting is that the mustard or the vinegar/paper application rely on interaction with the surrounding air and the room temperature to oxidise the steel, while the vapor application that you suggest surrounds the object with a cloud of acid and air and heat, which is why it accelerates the process.

LD

As a suggestion you could use some cold blue on the head and go straight to a prolonged dip in straight bleach. Don't breath the fumes. Just wet the head with any cheap cold blueing solution and go straight into a plastic throw away vessel with enough bleach to cover the head. Give it a few minutes, NOT hours. Will lightly pit the steel and darken the steel. Rinse well with cold water. Dry. Lightly scour with 0000 steel wool. Oil the head. Will look very old when done. Experiment with any carbon steel scrap you have. The results are actually very durable and reasonably rust free.

As a suggestion you could use some cold blue on the head and go straight to a prolonged dip in straight bleach. Don't breath the fumes. Just wet the head with any cheap cold blueing solution and go straight into a plastic throw away vessel with enough bleach to cover the head. Give it a few minutes, NOT hours. Will lightly pit the steel and darken the steel. Rinse well with cold water. Dry. Lightly scour with 0000 steel wool. Oil the head. Will look very old when done. Experiment with any carbon steel scrap you have. The results are actually very durable and reasonably rust free.
Thanks NorthFork, sounds like a really good idea. The steel is 4140. Will it work on that as I don't know if 4140 is carbon steel or not?

4140 is carbon steel. Yes it will work. But please, please try it on a scrap piece of steel first. It is not reversible once done.

Back