• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

THINKING ABOUT COLORING MY HEAD.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a TOTW wax caste Iroquois Tomahawk The head is made out of 4140 Alloy Steel and is a bit on the silvery side. I am using a file and some emery cloth to "age" it a bit, however it still looks on the lighter side rather than steel that was directly forged. I am thinking of using their Brown or Blue color on the head in order to make it look more aged and authentic. Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on me doing this. Thanks.

I have darkened a knife blade with hot vinegar. It isn't blue and it isn't brown rust. Just darker. It took four or five dunkings before it was dark enough. Rust resistant, too.

The process is heat straight vinegar in a pan on the stove. Once good and hot, dip the knife in and let it stay there for 30 seconds to a minute. Then rinse in cold water. Then repeat until it is dark enough for you.

I have darkened a knife blade with hot vinegar. It isn't blue and it isn't brown rust. Just darker. It took four or five dunkings before it was dark enough. Rust resistant, too.

The process is heat straight vinegar in a pan on the stove. Once good and hot, dip the knife in and let it stay there for 30 seconds to a minute. Then rinse in cold water. Then repeat until it is dark enough for you.
Thank you pilot
Blue it and rub back with steel wool then use it will darken right out. Or bury it in the back yard for a few months dig it up, steel wool off the rust oil it.
Thank you App Hunter I would have never thought of that.

I used plain yellow mustard to age mine. I may have read about using it on this forum to age knife blades. Just dab it on and let it sit for a day or two. One side turned out really nice but the other side wouldn’t ”age” as well for some reason.

I used Mark Lee rust blue on this hawk then used steel wool on it
IMG_0953_1.JPG

I used plain yellow mustard to age mine. I may have read about using it on this forum to age knife blades. Just dab it on and let it sit for a day or two. One side turned out really nice but the other side wouldn’t ”age” as well for some reason.
Do you think that there was some oil or grease on thother side than
After filing and sanding I first wiped on Kiblers aging solution for a grey aged color, then wrapped the head in white vinegar soaked paper towels for a day. Another coat of Kiblers solution. Finally light carding with maroon ScotchBrite.
View attachment 59865
That's the same one I have. Looks great! :thumb:

I used to mix a strong ferric chloride solution for putting a nice black finish on carbon steel knife blades, but I no longer see the powder available on ebay, just premixed stuff sold as circuit board etchant. Not sure where you'd pick up the powder nowadays. A chemical supply site perhaps? Many use it for etching pattern welded "damascus" blades to bring out the pattern.

I used to mix a strong ferric chloride solution for putting a nice black finish on carbon steel knife blades, but I no longer see the powder available on ebay, just premixed stuff sold as circuit board etchant. Not sure where you'd pick up the powder nowadays. A chemical supply site perhaps? Many use it for etching pattern welded "damascus" blades to bring out the pattern.
Thank you.

I bought a bledque from crazy crow, made in India the blade looked like stainless steel, to bright for me. I did a couple of coats of cold brown, oiled it and let it stand for a week. Then naval jelly set for ten min and repeated, hit with 4-0 steel wool
33AF958F-A8CF-4A56-B711-66F51FAC4266.jpeg
33AF958F-A8CF-4A56-B711-66F51FAC4266.jpeg

Mustard Browning is actually vinegar aging..., the mustard simply helps it to stay in an even layer if that's what is desired, for straight, hot vinegar being liquid will bead up on metal and may give a "measles" appearance.

As for one side not taking the aging as another I'd venture to guess that how the 'hawk was quenched and them tempered made one side a bit harder, just enough to cause an difference when aged.

LD

Mustard Browning is actually vinegar aging..., the mustard simply helps it to stay in an even layer if that's what is desired, for straight, hot vinegar being liquid will bead up on metal and may give a "measles" appearance.

As for one side not taking the aging as another I'd venture to guess that how the 'hawk was quenched and them tempered made one side a bit harder, just enough to cause an difference when aged.

LD

Whether vinegar or mustard I found that covering the metal with soaked, low grain paper towels or toilet paper, then left to dry for a 1-4 days works s lot better.

Latest posts

Back