• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thinking about buying my first flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently debating about spending my money on a flintlock rifle. The world of flintlocks is quite foreign to me, so I was wondering if some of you guys could help direct my purchase. I will be using the gun for target shooting only. I've heard Traditions and Pedersoli are quite good, but I do not have a clue on where I could buy one of these guns. I am willing to buy online, but it would be very nice if someone could point out a place in the Austin/Central Texas area that sells flintlocks. Some people I know praise the Indian guns, but I would rather not have to go through the process of doing work on the stock or lock. I would also like some input on what a good caliber would be, as well as essential accessories and things to get me started. Thank you for helping me get into this hobby!

Hello!

I am currently debating about spending my money on a flintlock rifle. The world of flintlocks is quite foreign to me, so I was wondering if some of you guys could help direct my purchase. I will be using the gun for target shooting only. I've heard Traditions and Pedersoli are quite good, but I do not have a clue on where I could buy one of these guns. I am willing to buy online, but it would be very nice if someone could point out a place in the Austin/Central Texas area that sells flintlocks. Some people I know praise the Indian guns, but I would rather not have to go through the process of doing work on the stock or lock. I would also like some input on what a good caliber would be, as well as essential accessories and things to get me started. Thank you for helping me get into this hobby!
Start browsing Dixie gunworks website. Better yet spend $5 and order their massive catalog. It’s a wealth of information and gun browsing.

Pedersoli makes some very good guns. If you're target shooting only, a .40 or .36 will suit you fine. What is your budget? You don't want to go too cheap. Kibler will put together a rifle for you if you're willing to pay the price.

For target shooting, I would avoid the rifles manufactured in India. They may be safe to shoot, but they don't get good reviews on the target range.

Both Traditions and Pedersoli guns can be good on the target range. I have received some stiff competition from shooters with those rifles. (Translation: I have placed behind them when the scores are counted.) The Traditions and Pedersoli locks will likely need some tuning to be a reliable shooter. That may be as simple as the polishing of the parts that touch within the lock or complex enough to require active tuning from a muzzle loading specialized gunsmith. Pedersoli does offer some upgraded rifles with better internals.

The Kibler rifles come from Kibler as a kit that can be easily finished and will be reliable when completed. The cost of a Kibler kit is just about the same as a target model from Pedersoli. Some of the Kibler kits can be seen offered for sales on classified sites such as this forum.

I would also look at the rifles offered in the classified postings on this forum for some good quality used rifles.

My advice is the highest quality lock that you can afford then the rest of the rifle. If the lock needs work you will struggle with the rifle. Kibler is indeed a fine rifle in all respects. I fine larger calibres easier to work with like a 40 or 45 on the smaller sizes. Fifty in a muzzleloader isn’t too large as well. Seek out a shooter of flintlocks near you and get some hands on experience, seems all muzzleloader people love to share.

There is a learning curve with flint. There are plenty of grey beards that have shot traditional percussion and never got the itch to shoot flint. Generally there is good natured ribbing between rock in the locks and cap poppers.
Caps are a little easier in general use and take less care to fire in damp conditions.
Most flint shooters started out with caps but after first flash in the face never went back.
Dont get frustrated with early fails, once you learn them you will have opened the door to a whole new world of shooting fun.
It’s not the best. For all my rhetoric of ‘real men shoot flintlocks’ this is primitive technology, it’s smelly and dirty and has to be treated with kid gloves, but a whole lot of fun.

I'm very new to muzzleloading, so take this for what it's worth. I've wanted a flintlock since I first shot one 45 years ago. I recently completed building a Traditions Frontier rifle. When I took it to the range, I was anticipating troubles. Why? Probably because sometimes I can be a bit of a pessimist. As it turns out, there was no reason for concerns. It fired each and every time I pulled the trigger.

Now, I just finished building a Traditions Trapper pistol. Hopefully, when I get it to the range, I will have the same results.

If you want a decent, relatively low-cost flintlock, I don't think you would go wrong with Traditions. Competition-wise, who knows? Hunting, who knows? Fun at the range, fantastic.

Hi, Kibler Longrifles!! High Quality. Good price. Give them a look.

Anthony
[/QUOTE
Pedersoli makes some very good guns. If you're target shooting only, a .40 or .36 will suit you fine. What is your budget? You don't want to go too cheap. Kibler will put together a rifle for you if you're willing to pay the price.
My budget is around $1100

WARNING<WARNING< Black Powder is highly addictive and flintlocks are the most extreme. You will go broke buying more and more and the wife will kick you out because of the smell! Traditions are an entry level drug,Pedersoli's are more for the addicted, custom made rifles are the end result of the addiction.

Hello!

Hey Grant,
Have you got all the accoutrements you'll need to get this thing going when you get it? Y'know, powder, ball, patches (shooting and cleaning), patch lube, powder flask, pan primer, etc, etc? If you don't, expect part of your budget to go that way.

I'm a 25 or so year cap popper who decided to try rock locks. I had most of the stuff, but was still surprised at what else was needed. Of course I tend to go overboard. Something about needing all the help I can get.

I've already got the gun (a flint Lyman Deerstalker) and, am waiting on a few items before heading to the range. Between you and me, I don't think it'll ever work. It's Rube Goldberg if anything ever was. If by chance it does work it's strictly magic. It'll certainly be magic if I'm able to hit anything with it. Now you know why I didn't spend a lot on the gun...this whole enterprise seems rather dubious.

Oh well, I have a percussion deerstalker and a spare barrel. When the whole thing goes belly up, I'll put the spare barrel on and scrounge a percussion lock. There's always an out. :)
Bob

Hello!

Go to a BP shoot and talk to the boys and see their guns. Get a good used custom from a gun show or on this forum. A good used custom, to me, is better than a brand spanking new factory one!
Larry

Thompson centers, been shooting them since the early 70s with no regrets, but recently their Flinters have become mighty pricey good luck to you

You could piecemeal a kit of sorts together for less than $1100 and you will have a nicer gun than Traditions can offer. You have to be willing to do some work though. Building a reliable flintlock isn't rocket science. You don't need a show stopper to get into this sport. Many new builders fall victim to the "look at the fancy gun I just built" mentality, instead of deciding to build a perfectly functional, but plain Jane firearm as their first attempt.

Put the parts together, build a plain Jane for that first gun, and enjoy. It will save you money, but you can get started with something that isn't bottom shelf.

If you can build from a kit, I would go with a Kibler kit. It may cost a bit more than your $1,000 budget, but not by that much. They are not that hard to complete, and their locks are top notch/well tuned, and throw good sparks. You can go plain maple and get the basic kit. Since you are target shooting only, A would go with a SMR in .36, or .40. Go to you tube and watch Jim Kibler's video's.

jim kibler longrifles

Kibler looks like a fine rifle! I'm not totally braindead so this looks like a very viable and fun project! Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, I'm just wondering what accessories I should buy so I am ready for the range. Thanks for the suggestion and help!

I just bought my first flintlock from BigSkyRambler, it's a great piece!!!! Be prepared to have frequent visits from USPS, Fedex or UPS as you can never have enough accessories. BigSkyRambler has a beautiful .40 cal long rifle for sale, look in the firearms for sale forum on this website.

Latest posts

Back