• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking about buying my first flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently completed building a Traditions Frontier rifle. When I took it to the range, I was anticipating troubles. Why? Probably because sometimes I can be a bit of a pessimist. As it turns out, there was no reason for concerns. It fired each and every time I pulled the trigger.

Now, I just finished building a Traditions Trapper pistol. Hopefully, when I get it to the range, I will have the same results.

If you want a decent, relatively low-cost flintlock, I don't think you would go wrong with Traditions. Competition-wise, who knows? Hunting, who knows? Fun at the range, fantastic.

If your experience echos mine you'll love that Trapper pistol. In less than a year I've put over 600 shots through mine and it's been quite reliable considering I wring every shot possible out of a flint before I'll knap it of change it. Flints last longer in it than in any of my rifles as I usually get 100 shots out of one flint.

To the OP I'd say that there's certainly nothing wrong with buying an expensive rifle, but if you are just starting out and not sure how involved you want to get you might do what I did and buy a cheap flintlock to start. I've read all the posts saying that starting with a cheap rifle is just asking for frustration but I don't really believe that. Maybe you are forced to learn a bit more about what needs done when everything doesn't work exactly as it should, but to me that's part of the attraction. I like to tinker with stuff.

At any rate I'd never even fired a muzzleloader when I bought my first one, a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock that was right around $300 new. I liked it from the start and don't think the learning curve was all that steep. Since that time I've bought 3 more Traditions rifles and a pistol. My entire collection didn't cost what some guys pay for one gun yet I enjoy them all.

I don't know if your budget includes all the other things you'll want/need to go with your new gun, but those costs can add up quickly. You'll of course need powder, patches, balls and flints as well as some type of powder measure and maybe a flask and pan primer depending on how you want to load. A short starter and range rod would also be on my list.

Kibler looks like a fine rifle! I'm not totally braindead so this looks like a very viable and fun project! Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, I'm just wondering what accessories I should buy so I am ready for the range. Thanks for the suggestion and help!
You will need basic items like a powder measure, short starter, flash hole pick, patch knife if using bulk patching. But, a lot of accessories can be easily made. I used a deer antler to make powder measures, and a handle for my short starter. Range rods can be made easily too. All this adds to the fun of the hobby, plus saves you money.

Also consider making your own ammo. It's simple to do and very rewarding. Some lead, a mold, a ladle, and some heat are all you need to cast plenty of ammo.

@granth, the most important need for your rifle will be real black powder. This means brands such as Schuetzen, Swiss or Wano. The US powder, GOEX, is no longer in production and the new owners probably won't be shipping powder for a year. Stay away from the substitute black powders. Pyrodex, 777 and others are unreliable at best and performance is not up to the performance of real black powder.

If your going to place an order with Kibler better hurry, price going up in April. Even then I’d go with a Kibler! All the other massed producers us that Damn Patented breach system. Hate them!

Anthony

Hello!

I am currently debating about spending my money on a flintlock rifle. The world of flintlocks is quite foreign to me, so I was wondering if some of you guys could help direct my purchase. I will be using the gun for target shooting only. I've heard Traditions and Pedersoli are quite good, but I do not have a clue on where I could buy one of these guns. I am willing to buy online, but it would be very nice if someone could point out a place in the Austin/Central Texas area that sells flintlocks. Some people I know praise the Indian guns, but I would rather not have to go through the process of doing work on the stock or lock. I would also like some input on what a good caliber would be, as well as essential accessories and things to get me started. Thank you for helping me get into this hobby!
After playing with a percussion for some 15 years, I bought a Lyman flintlock left hand deer Hunter and I've never been sorry. I bought a 50 caliber because I had a 50 caliber percussion and a lot of stuff interchanges like bullet mold and patches. I admit I really wanted a 54 caliber, but it was in a make or break deal, and I'm well satisfied with the 50. You do need black powder for a flintlock, those that tell you that you can use anything for priming are probably half right, mine works definitely better with 4F for priming and two or three F for shooting. True, is not a high price gun, I'm not a high-priced shooter. Own several unmentionables, nothing fancy, just factory rifles and I have gotten my share of game. All I had to do was figure out what makes a flintlock tick, which wasn't real hard, and I've enjoyed it for over 15 years. I've believed, for lots of years, if the old fur trappers would've had access to all the factory muzzleloaders that I have access to, there wouldn't have been near as many custom builders.
Squint

Last edited:
After playing with a percussion for some 15 years, I bought a Lyman flintlock left hand deer Hunter and I've never been sorry. True, is not a high price gun, I'm not a high-priced shooter. Own several unmentionables, nothing fancy, just factory rifles and I have gotten my share of game. All I had to do was figure out what makes a flintlock tick, which wasn't real hard, and I've enjoyed it for over 15 years. I've believed for lots of years, if the old for trappers would've had access to all the factory muzzleloaders that I have access to, there wouldn't have been near as many custom builders.
Squint

If your experience echos mine you'll love that Trapper pistol. In less than a year I've put over 600 shots through mine and it's been quite reliable considering I wring every shot possible out of a flint before I'll knap it of change it. Flints last longer in it than in any of my rifles as I usually get 100 shots out of one flint.

To the OP I'd say that there's certainly nothing wrong with buying an expensive rifle, but if you are just starting out and not sure how involved you want to get you might do what I did and buy a cheap flintlock to start. I've read all the posts saying that starting with a cheap rifle is just asking for frustration but I don't really believe that. Maybe you are forced to learn a bit more about what needs done when everything doesn't work exactly as it should, but to me that's part of the attraction. I like to tinker with stuff.

At any rate I'd never even fired a muzzleloader when I bought my first one, a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock that was right around $300 new. I liked it from the start and don't think the learning curve was all that steep. Since that time I've bought 3 more Traditions rifles and a pistol. My entire collection didn't cost what some guys pay for one gun yet I enjoy them all.

I don't know if your budget includes all the other things you'll want/need to go with your new gun, but those costs can add up quickly. You'll of course need powder, patches, balls and flints as well as some type of powder measure and maybe a flask and pan primer depending on how you want to load. A short starter and range rod would also be on my list.
I have the cap lock version of the Trapper and today I am ordering the flintlock version. That will be the fifth Traditions pistol I will own! I do have some custom guns as well. Love them all.

I hand built my rifle for less that $1100, Im sure Chambers or MLS or Kibler has what you need.
You buy a production flinter you will be disappointed. I sure was.

I know I have been casually looking at a flintlock rifle for a few months now and would like to buy one within a year. I am kind of drawn to the production guns that have a hooked breech because I am familiar with them and appreciate how easy they are to clean. The signature series great plains is calling my name if they ever come into stock again.

I like the looks of a lot of the kit rifles that so many on here recommend but I am a realist and I know that buying a rifle kit is not something I should do. Rifles like those available from TVM might work for me but they are at the top end of my budget for sure.

I hand built my rifle for less that $1100, Im sure Chambers or MLS or Kibler has what you need.
You buy a production flinter you will be disappointed. I sure was.
My first was a Pedersoli. 50cal Pennsylvania and it has not disappointed me one bit. Well made, well fitted, no misfire, and even with my poor skills I can hit a tea cup at 50 yards.

I bought a flintlock decades ago because I wanted to be one of the cool kids. The rifle was beautiful but it instantly became a flinchlock. I swear I could run to the next county before it went off. I was given the advice to drill the flash hole larger to shorten the time. I asked how large I could drill the hole. They laughed and said go as big as I needed but know that it gets embarrassing when the ball falls out of the flash hole when loading... I sold it sometime after.

Some people just can't be happy with anything off-the-shelf. They have to have custom.
I'm included into the custom group. When I first started BP, I thought a TC Hawken was acceptable. I soon found out I needed to buy a Hawken Shop kit to be historically accurate.

Latest posts

Back