• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking about a Canoe Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are thinking about anything that would be "period correct" forget about the "canoe" gun... they never existed in that time of the trade canoe people sincerely beleived the longer the better thus even the buccaner guns with their 60 inch barrel !

[If plans do not go awry, my poacher-stocked early 1700 style 24 ga w/26" barrel will be carried in and shot from one of John Lindman's best;-) (www.barkcanoe.com)
Perhaps the mode of transport will make up for sketchy documentation? :)
Dave[/QUOTE]

I had an opportunity to talk with John at the Coeur d'Alene muzzle loading fair. At 300 hrs. labor plus materials a true birch bark canoe will be pricy.

My dad, born and raised in Northern Ontario, knew how to, and had built birch-bark canoes.

Well, sort of like the wadding discussion, I don't think you can say that very short barreled long guns "did not exist". "Coach guns" did exist, and really there's no difference between the two. Perhaps the term "canoe gun" did not exist. I just don't think anyone cut a long barrel down for the express purpose of being "more handy" in a canoe. A "canoe gun" would probably be more desirable as a "cabin gun", or a "teepee gun". Perhaps more friendly to carry when running a trap line. ??

I don't doubt that they "existed", but I'm quite sure that a long barrel musket was preferred 99% of the time, at that time period.

Again, I'd love to have one for berry picking, trekking, hiking, exploring, but would not choose it over my Jeager or Brown Bess for actually hunting.

Latest posts

Back