• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking about a Canoe Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WMR

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Really like the looks and weight of the 20 gauge 20 inch barrel version of a flintlock trade gun. What do any of you think are advantages and disadvantages of the short barrel ? Does anyone have experience with such a gun ?
Thanks !!
Old Cap Locker

There are no practical disadvantages to me but I do like them all. :)

Advantages

Light weight, I don’t scoop up no snow when I walk, getting in and out of small cars, handy.

William Alexander

If you like it that is all that matters.
Personally, I wouldn't want one. That short a barrel will blast your eardrums sumptin' awful.
A short barrel is very light weight and hard to hold steady. Mine is 31" and just has no 'hang', it wiggles everywhere.
And, wat is the point? :idunno: Yer choice.

I have kind of wanted a canoe gun but, I have wondered about some of the same things that are raising questions in your mind. I know that the maximum amount of powder that can be burned in the barrel will be less because of the decreased barrel length. This may well mean that you won't get the velocity from a canoe gun that you will from a gun with a longer barrel. Will the shorter barrel result in a more open shot pattern when one shoots shot from it than a longer barrel? If one shoots a round ball in a canoe gun, will it be as accurate as a gun with a longer barrel? Will the report be louder as Rifleman1776 says? Many questions and no answers. :idunno: I may be right in my assumptions or I may be all wet. Let me know what you find out if you get a canoe gun.

A few years ago, before I got my GPR, I was looking at a Canoe Gun kit. I like the looks and proportions.

Not long afterward, having not yet deciding on anything yet, a couple of shooters at my range were shooting black powder, so I went to watch. One had a Brown Bess, and was drilling milk jugs at 100 yards with it. The other had some kind of Fusil with 20+" barrel and he was good for a lot of near misses at 50 yards at a gallon jug.

They said the short barrel, while it's the better looking of the 2 guns, was a big disappointment. He tried wads and shot next, but only 2-3 pellets hit the jug at 25 yards.

Performance made me decide on a rifled barrel, vs the better looking Canoe Gun.

I do have a .62 cal Fusil on order, and should have it in another month or 2. It has a 36" barrel, so will be handier than a Bess, and still maintain reasonable 100 yard accuracy.

I'll admit to finding them to be interesting critters, even if not that practical in the field. This topic has come up before, and it seems pretty clear that the "canoe gun" as such is a mostly modern invention. But before they are totally dismissed as historically incorrect, you can always say the backstory is that the barrel blew up and had to be shortened as a field expedient. Then you are pretty much unassailable.

:wink:

Well as a builder of about 6 short fowlers this year 4 with 26" bbl. 1 30" & 1 34" Heres my thoughts. HC/PC doesn't count much for me I make representions of 18th century weapons, not bench copies. You are all right the only guns are ones that are accurate.
I cant't tell if they're louder, lot a rifles have short bbls as well. Most smoothies won't do well at long range, thats not what they're ment for. Birds and deer at close range--isn't that what muzzleloader hunting/shooting is all about, get close make your shot count. I just sent a 24 bore X 26" to a woman who used it in a 3 person stake shoot a 4X4--they won the match. With the right combination they will pattern well for birds. Her 24 puts 38 #7 pellets on top 1/2 of a 8 X11 paper and 42 on bottom 1/2 at 20 paces..These guns are great for youngsters or people who can't mount a 44" bbl. gun---AND they go usually less than 6 lb. great to pack on a long patrol...Just my thoughts......Tom

I cant't tell if they're louder, lot a rifles have short bbls as well.

I didn't actually say it was louder. I did say it would blast his eardrums sumptin' awful. I'll stand by that. But, I should clarify and say the short barrel will give a perceived much louder blast. In my experience, with both modern and ml guns, rifles and shotguns, is that anything under 24" produces uncomfortably loud blasts to the ears. My wife had an H&R Buggy rifle in .45 cal. With normal loads it sounded like the end of the earth under a shooting range roof. When I practiced with my .44 mag. revolver at the range people would duck for cover when I shot. My 31" fowler is about as short a barrel as I would ever want in a smoothie.

I have a .75 canoe gun with an 18" bbl made by Jackie Brown a number of years ago. It is FUN to shoot, kills squirrels handily at 20 - 25 yards and with a ball, will hold center of mass on a B-27 silhouette at the same distance. I think of it as an 18th century riot gun. It may not be the most practical of firelocks, but like I said, it is fun!!

Maybe; but most of us wear ear protection at the range or when out plinking/fun shooting. I doubt anyone in the field would even notice when taking that shot at game. I once had a percussion 12 ga double with 22" barrels that was not unpleasant to fire at all. A lot of deer fell to the 24" .50 cap rifle I owned for 20 years; not unpleasant to shoot, either. The .50 flint pistol I own is just fine when loaded with up to 50 grains of black. Ear protection is easy to pack in the bush.

Modern smokeless firearms are a different story. Those revolvers/rifles/smoothbores have a very sharp report that you don't get from black powder.

Yeah, but ... 20" looked like beyond the point of practical use, from what I'd seen of the guy shooting one out to only 25-50 yards. And this was an old geezer with a buncha decades of BP shooting under his belt.

Barrels, 6", 10", & 14" can make a big difference in velocity and potential accuracy. Just squinting & pointing, I'd say that my first choice would be something not shorter than within a 30" - 32" barrel, but that's something on the wish list for sometime next year.

I like my two brown Bess gun and my long rifles but do like these and this is what I hunt with.

tackr1.jpg

Mulegun2.jpg

:)
William Alexander

I like my canoe gun , it has a 44 inch barrel and is light , it takes down water fowl with ease, and it comes with me in my canoe

Why would you shoot a canoe? I have never been charged by a wild canoe. Also, they make poor grub, they are all tough hide and bone; no meat at all. The broth is awfully thin. :haha:

I've been seriously considering one too, but probably in 16 gauge. Some of the areas where I hunt snowshoe hare, the alders and willows are so thick, even my SxS with 28" barrels is waaaay too long. Just not many places I can swing and aim without clanging branches. Shots are well inside 25 yards, so no sweat.

Deer get into the same tangles, and my 24" barreled 58 cal gets the nod, but the short fowler would get more use if I had it. Guy doesn't think about until it happens to him, but once you get the deer down in those tangles, you need both hands to get them out. Sling the gun, and ANYTHING sticking up above your shoulder is going to hang up. Points to the shorty once again.

Back