• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Think I'm in a small pickle...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog1911

40 Cal
Reaction score
Been working on making the toeplate for my SMR. It's 3 3/4" long FWIW. The pickle is, the aft most screw hole that I drilled is just under .5" from the toe. The wood is only about .3" deep right there.

I guess I could just make new holes. I was just hoping to spread them out more evenly, and use 4 screws of the same size. It also means I'd need to make a new toeplate, which I'm loathe to do. This is the 2nd already, and dimensionally correct for what I was going for.

Attachments

• 20221122_160301.jpg
    20221122_160301.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221122_160314.jpg
    20221122_160314.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 0
Been working on making the toeplate for my SMR. It's 3 3/4" long FWIW. The pickle is, the aft most screw hole that I drilled is just under .5" from the toe. The wood is only about .3" deep right there.

I guess I could just make new holes. I was just hoping to spread them out more evenly, and use 4 screws of the same size. It also means I'd need to make a new toeplate, which I'm loathe to do. This is the 2nd already, and dimensionally correct for what I was going for.
Weld the hole shut, grind it smooth and drill another hole?

It also means I'd need to make a new toeplate, which I'm loathe to do. This is the 2nd already, and dimensionally correct for what I was going for.

the other option would be to spot weld the screw into the hole on the underside of the tow plate, trim it off short, and on the outside of the plate file down the head to be flush with the surface of the plate (or get a domed steel screw and do this), to act as your mistake-hole-filler. Then drill the second hole with enough stock under it. You get to keep your current toe plate.

LD

Personally I like a toe plate with just one screw. Much cleaner and eye pleasing to look at.

Screenshot_20220624-144127_Gallery.jpg

Make another toe plate, down the road you’ll be much happier, 3 screws are plenty, even 2 is. Fill the hole you drilled with some glue and move on.

With all that said, have you looked for a short, stubby wood screw that could work in the space allowed?

Make another toe plate, down the road you’ll be much happier, 3 screws are plenty, even 2 is. Fill the hole you drilled with some glue and move on.

With all that said, have you looked for a short, stubby wood screw that could work in the space allowed?

I'd thought about that, but would prefer a uniform size to all of the screw heads.

Yep, there was a time in the past when you could find good slotted wood screws in all shapes and sizes. Not so easy anymore.
Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply will sell just about any screw size you need. I have an assortment that I keep on hand. Back to your problem. I would make another toe plate and use fewer screws. Uniformity and spacing are great unless they create a problem. I just finished my SMR a few days ago and I used three screws for my toe plate. Holds great and looks fine. Good luck.

Making a new one isn't a task for the faint of heart. It sounds easy when said but it is another matter in reality. As I stated in a previous post weld it up or have someone else do it for you if you are unable to do it. Your toeplate will look and be exactly as you meant it to be in the first place. I can guarantee if you diviate from your original idea you will see it every time you look at the rifle. It will haunt you . I know from experience.

Latest posts

Back