• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think I got it down.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well today was a wet one, on and off down pours but, I think I have my homemade black powder down as it was very accurate, with a patch thickness of 0.015 and a .562 ball. My .58 Mountain Rifle seems to favor 85 grains by volume of my homemade brew 5 shots @ 50 yards grouped really well.

Attachments

• 20220301_111831.jpg
    20220301_111831.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 104
85 grains by volume so its corned then? not just screened. Just screened my CVA .58 Mountain rifle likes 110 grains by weight, .562 hard ball and ticking patch.
By the way good group.

85 grains by volume so its corned then? not just screened. Just screened my CVA .58 Mountain rifle likes 110 grains by weight, .562 hard ball and ticking patch.
By the way good group.

I'll bet that 110gr screened is mighty fast.

If I`ve been at the range the right shoulder is pretty bruised the next day. Fairly fine powder as screened but certainly works.
Have never run it over a chrony but out of a .50cal T/C Hawken caplock 85 grains and a round ball giver 1861FPS, about the same as Goex.

Well today was a wet one, on and off down pours but, I think I have my homemade black powder down as it was very accurate, with a patch thickness of 0.015 and a .562 ball. My .58 Mountain Rifle seems to favor 85 grains by volume of my homemade brew 5 shots @ 50 yards grouped really well.
Darn nice group! Good job!

if you are making your own powder, be sure your affairs are in order.
Sooner or later your guardian angle will be out for coffee and you will be the honoree at a closed casket service.
That stuff is an EXPLOSIVE and home made product should not be mentioned here.
Zonie (RIP) would have shut this thread down NOW.
Respectfully
Bunk

if you are making your own powder, be sure your affairs are in order.
Sooner or later your guardian angle will be out for coffee and you will be the honoree at a closed casket service.
That stuff is an EXPLOSIVE and home made product should not be mentioned here.
Zonie (RIP) would have shut this thread down NOW.
Respectfully
Bunk
I won't mention my method here on making it but, I feel it is safe for me to continue. Now if I was getting irratc accuracy and speeds then I probably wouldn't be doing it. It has worked for me it may not for you.
"I would rather leave this world burning powder and flinging lead then sitting on the couch."

Ballshooter

Nice! I was happy to see a shot land just a few inches from the bullseye from 100 yards with my homebrew just a few months ago. It's similar to the feeling I get using homemade arrows & watching them fly laser-straight into a tight group. Nothing like it. Glad to see others trying it.

Back