• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thick skirt .58 bullet mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a thick skirted .58 bullet mold ( minnie) I believe I've got a 100 each of the .575 task scans that are .575 I've got 100 .577 lee Minnie's and 100 .58 maxi balls. Along with300 .570 rb 25 .562 rb. Currently I own 2 molds the lee .575 500 gr minnie and a lee.562 rb mold I'll have 2 tc big board coming in the next week or so. I currently have a zouave a buffalo hunter cabelas hawken and 2 renegades with .58 barrels. I a 1-66 twist and 1 a 1-48 twist

Erik at hollowpointmold.com has been a national treasure for replacement plugs to provide the desired skirt thicknesses. He can make them adjustable to change the length and weight.

That hemispherical cavity shape is something I've been wanting to try for transforming minie molds into a "buffalo bullet". Also for paper patching, to give a place to tuck the paper during swaging.

And he can do interchangeable ends.

Last edited:
Erik at hollowpointmold.com has been a national treasure for replacement plugs to provide the desired skirt thicknesses. He can make them adjustable to change the length and weight.

That hemispherical cavity shape is something I've been wanting to try for transforming minie molds into a "buffalo bullet". Also for paper patching, to give a place to tuck the paper during swaging.

And he can do interchangeable ends.
Thank you, NKBJ, for the information on Erik, I did not know of him. I recently converted a Zouave to a 26" bbl 'Artillery' buffalo gun and though it does fine with round ball and ok with Lee's 475gr Minie, I would like to experiment with a heavy skirted minie and load suitable for griz and hobgoblins ( Old timer speak for Zombies). Erik has answered a need I didn't know I had, A double ended plug to create two different versions of the same Minie.

Howie - you might try a Lyman 57730 mold. It cast a 570 grain minie. This minie can be shot with 175 grains of 3f black powder an not blow the skirt open. They show up regularly on eBay and other sites. See pics below. It is the cast minie on the right side with the thinker skirt.
Ron

8B9DAF0C-3E5D-417B-AE97-2AC544699DAA.jpeg

E9807FD9-BCFD-4965-BEAA-3CF8F9E70400.jpeg

Last edited:
Back