• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thick flint woes!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
Any recommendations on how to deal with flints that are just too plain tall, all the other dimensions are great but it seems like half of the flints I get are too tall for the lock on my SMR. I don't want to bend the screw on the jaws by trying to clamp down while the jaws are so extended but I'd hate to waste these flints. Has anyone had any luck trying to knap the "top" off of a flint with a chisel or something? Below is an example of what I am trying to describe, one on the left is great, right, not so much.
20221121_072047.jpg

Diamond file and elbow grease.
I wouldn't even be trying to get the thick one even close the the thin one though. Just evening out and flattening the top will make it serviceable.

Diamond file and elbow grease.
I wouldn't even be trying to get the thick one even close the the thin one though. Just evening out and flattening the top will make it serviceable.
I have a few like that thick one. I find them difficult to nap and keep sharp so do not get as many shots out of em. Anyone have a suggestion?

'humpy' flints are a pain and problem in our game. The best cure is prevention. When I order flints from a reliable vendor I always specify "no humpies". I think the word is starting to get back from the major vendors to the English knappers that the humpy flints are not acceptable. Those can be ground down but simply ordering more is much easier.

I know this solution isn't for everyone but if you go to events where can can select your flints you won't have this probelm. Not always the most convenient but you support the vendors that keep this hobby going

When I buy flints, I type "the flattest ones you can find, please" in the comments/instructions section. It really helps.

I have also used a silicon carbide (green) wheel in a drill press. I secure my flints atop a chunk of 2x4 with a dab of hot glue. I set the drill platform height close to the top where the hump is just making contact with the wheel, and use the 2x4 to work it around.

TAKE IT SLOW, use a steady trickle of water to keep things cool and the dust down. You can take even the ugliest Quasimodo flints and make them useful.

The hot glue works nice as a temperature reference. If the flint gets too warm, it will soften the glue and skedaddle before it gets hot enough to break. If this happens, either slow down, lower the platform a scootch, or use more water.

I hate humpback flints. Seems to me a skilled flint knapper should know what a good flint is and knap them that way. So maybe we're starting to be heard by the knappers and the market will also listen to us.

Latest posts

Back