• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

They went that a way!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sheesh! I got an email yesterday from MidwayUSA that listed CCI #11 magnum caps, limited to one order of 1,000. First I've seen any caps in a while. I got my order in right away and it's a good thing. Probably less than a day later and they are now listed as 'out of stock, no back order'.

Just a caution if you need caps and see some offered, don't delay. They won't be available for long. Fortunately, most of my percussion guns use #11's and a thousand caps will last me a while. (I split my time at the range between percussion and the flintlocks. Don't want the flinters to feel neglected.)

Jeff

dave951,
Not trying to add to the panic just mention that online supplies can go fast. I'm glad your LGS has caps. The local Cabelas, Walmart and the other usual places nearby haven't had any for months.

Am I off base thinking that since percussion gun nipples can be changed, why not use a nipple appropriate for the caps you have available?
Say my ROA is set up for #11s but all I can find are #10s. Can I simply change to #10 nipples with same threads? Or is there more to it than that?

wm

Am I off base thinking that since percussion gun nipples can be changed, why not use a nipple appropriate for the caps you have available?
Say my ROA is set up for #11s but all I can find are #10s. Can I simply change to #10 nipples with same threads? Or is there more to it than that?

wm
No not off base that's what I do and I also chuck them in my drill press and turn them down with a file to fit to the cap.

dave951,
Not trying to add to the panic just mention that online supplies can go fast. I'm glad your LGS has caps. The local Cabelas, Walmart and the other usual places nearby haven't had any for months.
The small locally owned gun stores often have them in stock, the big box stores run out almost as soon as they get them in stock because that's where the vast majority of people are looking.

The small locally owned gun stores often have them in stock, the big box stores run out almost as soon as they get them in stock because that's where the vast majority of people are looking.

Yup, the sky is falling.........

The LGS where I found the last ones I bought had plenty. They weren't at the previous price, but there was no shortage. If you shop for gun stuff at Wally world big boxes, etc, then shame on you for not supporting the little guys. Little guys are far more likely to support you than a faceless, nameless, corporate drone. I have little to no sympathy for those who don't support grass roots suppliers.

I haven't needed any so I haven't checked this time, but the last time caps were hard to find I found Two boxes (1000 caps ea), at the local hardware store that caters to Amish.Check your local hardware stores that usually only sell during hunting seasons.

wm
As far as I know, you can because I did. I ordered a new percussion and came a course with an iron number 11 nipple. So I ordered two stainless steel nipples that would replace the iron one, and don't you know, they must be undersize because number 11 falls off and a number 10 is just right. Anyway I just bought a bunch of number tens and that's what I'm using. Doesn't seem to being a difference in the strength of the fire. I'm sure you could take a number 11 nipple and with just a few strokes of some emery cloth turn it into a number 10.
Squint

Back