• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

They say "no good deed goes unpunished" and the trail cam proves it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was to have the 15th16th, 17th, 18th, 19th off for hunting. But the biggest job our Plant has ever attempted kept changing dates. The out of town contractor that was actually forming the Concrete we were to provide was having trouble getting all their ducks in a row. In the end the pour happened last week, the week of my vacation. So I volunteered to change vacation dates (Absolutely a all hands on deck size job for us). They gladly excepted and bent a bunch of things around so I could have the weekend + yesterday and today off.

Anyway on to "no good deed goes unpunished" and the trail cam proves it! here is the trail cam from the 2nd day I would have been Bear & Elk hunting if I hadn't been a good employee

stand.jpg

This is a bear chewing on the arm rest of my tree stand at 8:34 AM of what would have been the 2nd day of my hunt.
The red arrow points to the straps hanging down.

916n23.jpg

This seems to be the bull elk that came by at 9:43AM that same day!!!

You might as well laugh at my luck with me, after all. . . that's all I can do about it.
So far no luck, I have next weekend left, I am going to try to hunt Friday night and all day Saturday.
. . .maybe one or both of these two will stop back by.

I'm not hunting today, I decided to use it to can the mountain of garden produce we are getting right now. Yesterday I spent 13 hours in the basin hunting and was under dressed, the wind blew the whole day & even though it was above 45 degrees, I spent hours in that stand shivering with the cold from the wind. I think I might have gotten a bit hypothermic as I was still cold after an hour long hike out, and froze last night in bed.

very familiar I have tagged out the last day many many times though so.....

If I can get off work early enough to hunt Friday night, that gives me Two night hunts and maybe two AM hunts, and still get to have Sunday afternoon to pack out gear & (Cross your fingers) Meat. . . . Although I don't think I'm ML hunting any more this hunt, my elk tag is Archery only and lugging both in and out has become a real chore!!!! I think I'll just stick and string next weekend. . . so expect some stories about the bear of a life time sitting just outside bow range but well within Muzzleloader range 😄

. . . Although I don't think I'm ML hunting any more this hunt, my elk tag is Archery only and lugging both in and out has become a real chore!!!! I think I'll just stick and string next weekend. . . so expect some stories about the bear of a life time sitting just outside bow range but well within Muzzleloader range 😄

1632743922982.png

I think it was this guy (The only real black I've seen on the trail cams) I saw Sunday afternoon. He was directly behind my tree and 40 yards off walking slowly away. An easy chip shot for my .54 (That I left at home!! ) But he was in a spot where I couldn't draw the bow. . . . 🤦‍♂️ So all in all I saw 3 bears, the Sow her cub and this guy. I'm happy with that in a state where you can't bait. My greed was my undoing. If I has stuck to the plan, and ONLY hunted bear, instead of getting that archery elk tag as well, in all likely hood I'd be telling you all about the shot I made.
WGI_0091.JPG

Last edited:
Have you learned your lesson? Remember, nice guys finish last.

I learned that at age 12 when I thought that it would be bad sportsmanship to vote for myself as the senior patrol leader in the Boy Scouts. Sure enough, the other guy won by my vote. I never made that mistake again and it's been 67 years since that happened.

Back