• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THESE OLD EYES

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
THESE OLD EYES
As so many of us seem to be feeding at the Social Security trough it would appear that as a group we are getting older on a daily basis.The second thing to go is usually your eyes..
Shooting over open sights is a skill hard to achieve for many but easy to lose as the calendars come and swiftly go.
You are trying to focus on the rear sight, the front sight and the target all at the same time and your flexible eyes have now begun to harden into a Tootsiepop sucker ball.
OK, so stop doing that that trick went a little after your high jump.

It is the nature of the eye to seek the most light. The most light visible through the ring of the rear aperture sight is in the very fead center. So let's just forget about the rear sight. Your old eye has already taken care of that.
Now you only have to see the front sight and the target.

if you still have a problem you probably need glasses.
They don't make you look old, You've looked old for years now. The glasses will make you look smart whivh will surprise your friends.
I'm at a stage where I can't see the rifle.
Dutch

I find myself looking up and down hoping to keep the front bead on the POA then bring the rear sight up to that level. Porpoise sighting to put a name to it.
Seems to be worse for closer targets. Once out to about 50 yards the view seems to ease some. My Kentucky is easier to sight than my Hawken but then there comes the wable.

I find myself looking up and down hoping to keep the front bead on the POA then bring the rear sight up to that level. Porpoise sighting to put a name to it.
Seems to be worse for closer targets. Once out to about 50 yards the view seems to ease some. My Kentucky is easier to sight than my Hawken but then there comes the wable.
I'M NOT A DOCTOR BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU PUT A A REAR APERTUTE SIGHT ON YOUR HAWKEN, ASI DID A LOT OF YOUR TROUBLE WOULD DISAPPEAR.
I WAS TOLD SATURDAY THAT AN APERTURE SIGHT PLACED ON THE LENS OF YOUR GLASSES WILL ALSO HELP. I WOULD THINK THAT HAVING THE SIGT ATTACHED TO THE RIFLE ITSELF WOULD BE BEST OF ALL.
DUTCH

All that as well as other degenerative eye maladies, such as cataracts, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. They say by age 65, 9 in 10 adults will develop cataracts.

I had let mine go for years, and too long. It got to the point I really didn't feel safe driving. Night time, bright sunshine. The only time that seemed ok was dusk and dawn IF it was cloudy out. Seeing a target to shoot became out of the question. I just got my first one operated on a week ago. The difference was astounding. I went from 20/250 in that eye to 20/30 in the span of a few minutes. The second is due to be done next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

All that as well as other degenerative eye maladies, such as cataracts, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. They say by age 65, 9 in 10 adults will develop cataracts.

I had let mine go for years, and too long. It got to the point I really didn't feel safe driving. Night time, bright sunshine. The only time that seemed ok was dusk and dawn IF it was cloudy out. Seeing a target to shoot became out of the question. I just got my first one operated on a week ago. The difference was astounding. I went from 20/250 in that eye to 20/30 in the span of a few minutes. The second is due to be done next week. I'm really looking forward to it.
CATARACTS ARE EASY TO EXPLAIN The clear lens is like glass that is slowly changing to milk glass.. It happens so slowly you don't notice the change until the day comes when the target or stop sign are so lost in the mist that you just don't see them at all which can be noisy and dangerous. In my case I had Gaucoma in my right eye which just blurry details and Macular degeneration which the very spot you are concentrating on is not visible but the things around it are pretty clear. You learn to look a bit off center which isn't too effective.
Cataract operations are very quick, and very easy and they make the foggy mist go away.
Dutch

CATARACTS ARE EASY TO EXPLAIN The clear lens is like glass that is slowly changing to milk glass.. It happens so slowly you don't notice the change until the day comes when the target or stop sign are so lost in the mist that you just don't see them at all which can be noisy and dangerous. In my case I had Gaucoma in my right eye which just blurry details and Macular degeneration which the very spot you are concentrating on is not visible but the things around it are pretty clear. You learn to look a bit off center which isn't too effective.
Cataract operations are very quick, and very easy and they make the foggy mist go away.
Dutch

THE IDEA OF HAVING SOME POKE YOUR EYE WITH SHARP THINGS TENDS TO PUT ONE OFF, BUT BINGO! THE GREY SHIELD IS GONE AND ZIP YOU'RE BACK AT THE RANGE WONDERING HOW THEY COULD IMPROVE THE TARGET SO QUICKLY AND SO MUCH.
DUTCH

THHE WABLE IS FROM YOUR EYE SWITCHING FROM ONE FOCUS POINT TO ANOTHER WHICH IT IS NOT ABLE TO DO EASILY. TRY THE RREAR APERTUR SIGHT

IT'S WORTH THE EFFORT AND IT'A JUST SOMETHING YOU GET AS YOU AGE.GETTING OLD IS INEVITABLE YOUNG MAN. DEAL WITH IT/
DUTCH

Back