• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

There goes some of my savings....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Received my Lefty Lyman from third Generation. Very impressed with the fast delivery and only $7,95 shipping. The Stock is niced Grained, the Lock, which was already installed, sparks great. The Pan and Frizzen are tight and the touch hole sets flat against the Lock , just like it outta. Now the bad part!!! Shot it ten times with good groups at 25yds. Out of the Blue, the Hammer stuck at half cock.Also had a heck of a time prying the Lock out of its Mortise. So, called Dixon`s and was told to send it in.Boxed it up, took it over to the Amish and away it went. The Lock Mortise is very rough. Am thinking the Fly is being restricted...so, wait and see.Cost me $12.00 but still ahead of the game....

I got the exact same thing from them a couple of months ago. Great shooter out of the box. I replaced the trigger with Deerslayer, but it wasn't necessary, I just wanted to try it. I put in a RMC flash hole liner, but since I'd drilled and coned the factory one already, I don't think it was an improvement. Like yours, the lock was a pretty snug fit when I removed it the first few times, and the area was rough inside, much like you mentioned.

I'm happy as can be with mine, and would have been willing to pay a lot more for a gun that performed as well. Here's hoping they get yours fixed up and back in a snap.

I have an older GPR Capper and the fit and finish on the new Flinter is a lot better.I didn`t even had a flash in the Pan without opening up the T`Hole.The guy I talked to at Dixon`s said He could probably fix it in a few Min
utes....hope so

When you get it back, you might want to see if its cutting patches, which appears to be a common complaint. I scrubbed mine out with Iosso paste before taking it to the range, and haven't had one yet. I used it on a few cap and ball guns, and danged if now they don't clean up easier.

I got really lucky with this gun. I can't recall a single flash in the pan, and the load it likes happened to be the very first one I tried. Its been 16 different types of fun and I'm kicking myself for not trying flintlocks years ago.

With time and experience you could have cleaned up that mortise yourself. IMHO, one should not expect clean inletting on a factory gun. Even some customs have similar problems when delivered. DAMHIK. A small and sharp flat chisle will often be the only tool needed, plus a few minutes work.

Well, a small and sharp flat Chisel is a deadly combo in my Hands!! Figgered I better not mess with it. The Lock could only be installed by tilting it at a sharp angle, then getting it straight then using the screw to tighten it.Also there is a small chunk of Wood broke off inside the Mortise, which was really"whiskery??" But, everything else was nice and tight. Also, this is a fine sparking lock and am looking forward to shooting it.....again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back