• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Wildfowlers Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of guns build for wildfowling in the Georgian and Victorian period on the sea, estuaries and marshes other wise known has ings These guns were all in large bore sizes from a 10 to a 2bore bank gun and the punt gun, for the fowler they were known has tools of the trade these fowlers made a living out of fowling when in season it put meat on the table for his family and what was surplus was sold at market The bag consisted of all geese, ducks whoopee swam to small waders even starlings that roosted in the reed beds off inland waters
Feltwad

Tools of the trade
P1010005.JPG

Recoil from the punt gun see it been pushed back for several yards with the muzzle thrown well into the air see image with the recoil trail from the smoke to the punt.
100_2729.JPG

Feltwad

Enclosed are images of guns build for wildfowling in the Georgian and Victorian period on the sea, estuaries and marshes other wise known has ings These guns were all in large bore sizes from a 10 to a 2bore bank gun and the punt gun, for the fowler they were known has tools of the trade these fowlers made a living out of fowling when in season it put meat on the table for his family and what was surplus was sold at market The bag consisted of all geese, ducks whoopee swam to small waders even starlings that roosted in the reed beds off inland waters
Feltwad

Tools of the trade
View attachment 196161
Recoil from the punt gun see it been pushed back for several yards with the muzzle thrown well into the air see image with the recoil trail from the smoke to the punt.
View attachment 196164

Feltwad
Thank you. I enjoy seeing your guns

Enclosed is an early long fowler with a bore size of 9 a 42inch imported Madrid barrel flintlock conversion . This gun would have been used for shooting mostly ducks and geese on the inland waters which here in the UK are known has ings.I obtained this gun in an unusual circumstance 30years ago I was approached by a old fowler who asked if I was interested in a couple of percussion fowling guns he was moving from a three bedroom house too a bungalow and was down sizing his furniture etc , if they are no good to you he said I will dispose of them in waste skip along with unwanted furniture .Well not to let this to happen so I accepted them but I have often since wondered how many old muzzle loader have gone the same way into a skip.
Feltwad
P1010035.JPG
P1010039.JPG
P1010045.JPG

are there any post's / videos of a punt gun being loaded and shot with live fire? just courious?

I purchased an old Georgian Long fowler a few years ago. 70.5 " long overall. Two pins allow it to be taken down to half size for travel.

Attachments

• DSCI0037.JPG
    DSCI0037.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0039.JPG
    DSCI0039.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back