• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The whole point of the matter......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't care about your vast experience in competition or whatever. Don't care that the ignition point of Pyrodex is higher than black powder. Don't care that most flint lock shooters can't make it work in their guns. Fact is that some flint lock shooters make Pyrodex work in their guns.

In the mid to late 1950s and early 60s i traded for and traded away dozens of original muzzleloaders; those guns were worth very little until the Civil War centennial and the US bi-centennial came along. The bores of over 75 percent of those guns had been ruined from using black powder.

Malarky.

Go ahead and use your worshipful black powder, i'll use something else.
I like black, but I see your point. No matter what you shoot you want to keep your bore be OCD about cleaning. Ml with p or B/p are easy to clean, it ain’t rocket science ( well sort of is) but clean and keep clean. No Biggie

That is a mystery why both are being manufactured.Pyrodex did pave the way for 777. Apparently Pyrodex is still widely used,the good folks at Hodgdon are devoting alot of time,machinery, and man power in making it.Maybe there's a bigger market for a substitute than for a real black powder? These bigger companies tend to know where the markets lies.

We had a customer send us a rifle to be restocked that had Pyrodex used in it. He cleaned it before shipping. In three days of transport, the barrel had a coating of white fouling that had nearly ruined the barrel.
One of the locals had some Pyrodex he wanted to get rid of. We tried it in our candy cannon. Fuse burned to the charge, we heard "bloop", and the candy barely cleared the muzzle! 😂😂😂

I do not have a dog in this fight, but I have had hang fires, and failure to fire at the range, after many shots with Pyrodex, never with black powder. I’m sure it has something to do with ignition temperature, but I don’t know for sure. Whatever the reason, I save my black for the flint guns, and when I hunt and want to make sure the gun goes off. Pyrodex is fine for the range.
I clean my guns the same method with either powder, and have never noticed any difference.

That is a mystery why both are being manufactured.Pyrodex did pave the way for 777. Apparently Pyrodex is still widely used,the good folks at Hodgdon are devoting alot of time,machinery, and man power in making it.Maybe there's a bigger market for a substitute than for a real black powder? These bigger companies tend to know where the markets lies.
Loyalist Dave answers this very well in post #16 of this thread Pyrodex RS vs Black Powder FFg

Such snarky answers. Maybe someone doesn't have a bunch of money nor wish to store a lot of powder.

Hey, I shoot a Flinter... That other fastback doesn't work right and I don't feel like screwing around to get it to.

Whatev.

Such snarky answers. Maybe someone doesn't have a bunch of money nor wish to store a lot of powder.

Maybe. Some of us just shake our heads at the slavish attachment to pdex when if you must use a sub, T7 is far, far better. And if economics are truly in play, there are ways to get the holy black. Join the NMLRA, contact a reenactment group, pool a purchase with others. Not every solution involves hoofing it to Wally world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back