• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The "Whack" Factor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody has their favorite caliber and reasons why. Most balls of reasonable caliber will poke a hole in a deer. However as I have posted elsewhere, it has been claimed the .54 round ball offers the optimum compromise between velocity, flat trajectory and impact energy. With a stout charge of FF I have always been impressed by its impact. I made the video this afternoon to illustrate the .54 "Whack Factor" at 110 yards.

I call my .56 'Bashyness' and now I have to try this! It should be fun, 100g FFG, 270g RB. Only 1500fps, so we'll see, I guess. Tinhorn

I like the 54 too,but where i hunt deer the laurel is really thick, so when I get the opportunity to shoot a deer in this thick stuff I want it to go down. I don't want to have to blood trail it in the brush. The .54 has done it for me in the past, but once in a while even a deer hard hit in the heart lug zone will manage to go 50-100 yards. I now I use a 58 and have yet to have a deer go more than a few feet from the point of impact.

Back