The War Of Northern Aggression's Most Deadly Sniper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Gunny5821

Richard Turner
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We will never know one way or the other.

A lot of these "legends" are exaggerated or built up, they become camp fire stories and everyone adds to them.

A lot of the stories of Civil War snipers got "gassed up" to the point where 400 yard shots became over a mile, 1 man killed became 3, "it was a sniper's duel" when in fact the Sniper killed a lone infantryman trying to take a leak in a woodline in camp.
Ah yes, while the majority will disappear like a fart in a whirlwind, legends shall live on forever.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
We will never know one way or the other.

A lot of these "legends" are exaggerated or built up, they become camp fire stories and everyone adds to them.

A lot of the stories of Civil War snipers got "gassed up" to the point where 400 yard shots became over a mile, 1 man killed became 3, "it was a sniper's duel" when in fact the Sniper killed a lone infantryman trying to take a leak in a woodline in camp.
Even the documented accounts aren't necessarily true to what happened. History is written by the winners and the powerful.

Sort of reminds me of the Billy Dixon story. The way you first hear it, Billy borrowed a Sharps, took aim at an indian almost a mile away and killed him dead.

I watched a video of a descendent of Billy's recount the story as he'd heard (many times over) and it was a little different. Billy took the first shot at the group of indians on the bluff (almost a mile away) but didn't have the elevation correct. The second shot also missed. Finally, on the third try he got the elevation dialed in, and was really lucky hitting one of the indians in the elbow, knocking him off his horse.

Now, that sounds way more realistic to me.

So who knows what Jack Hinson's story is really, but I suspect it's fairly accurate as stated. Who knows how many he actually killed? But saying that because records are spotty doesn't mean it's all bogus. Because his son's bodies, or heads on the gate posts, weren't photographed or documented by a lawyer, is all fiction? It sounds like there were, and are, enough stories out there to lend credibility to his story being true.

SyLibby - I'd like to see your documentation.

Most of all, I like the story and I'm sticking with it! :thumb:

1BadDart

40 Cal
Reaction score
If a story is good enough to tell it's good enough to dress up a little, ;). I'd be willing to bet that the history we were taught in school was embellished a bit too.

Notchy Bob

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Heads on posts are not fiction.

My paternal grandfather was born on a subsistence farm in southeast Alabama in 1871, during Reconstruction. My dad was born in 1907, and I came along in 1954. So, there is some space between generations in my family, but this also means oral traditions were passed on without all of the multi-generational re-tellings and inevitable modifications.

Anyway, my grandfather spent his childhood in the Reconstruction era. There was an occupying Federal military force which was supposed to maintain order, but they were generally pretty ineffective in this respect and were in fact sometimes an annoyance themselves, with their "foraging" activities.

The upshot was that without effective law enforcement, there were some roaming bands or individuals at large who committed more serious offenses, and the local folk were pretty much on their own in dealing with them. My grandfather told my dad he had seen human heads on fence posts along the road to the nearby community, put up as warnings to other would-be marauders. Imagine that... A little boy having to see that sort of thing. However, I guess people did what they believed they had to do.

This was the story that was told to me. I have no reason to doubt it.

Notchy Bob

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Those were different times. I don't doubt one minute there were atrocities like that. Consider scalping. And earlier, witch trials. These things were committed in normal times by normal people. Sticking heads on a pike or beside the road (sometimes while alive) goes way way back. For such a pretty planet, there sure has been some horrific nastiness.

What's in question is whether Jack's kid's heads were, in fact, placed on the gate posts. Who's to say yay or nay with proof to back it up?

Surfinator58

40 Cal
Reaction score
A very good read considering today's political atmosphere and the goings-on in Washington DC against its own people