Quantcast

The War Of Northern Aggression's Most Deadly Sniper

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve read the book. One that was hard to put down once started. A recommended read for all muzzleloaders.
I have read the book as well. Starts out slow I thought but I am glad I stuck with it. I certainly was sympatric with him.

Fleener
Thanks guys. I was contemplating ordering one of them and now will. I notice there are two(?) by the same author, Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper and Battlefield Sniper: Over 100 Civil War Kills both by Lt. Col Tom McKenney.

Is one better than the other or are they the same book?

nkbj

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gave my brother a copy of the Hinson book for his birthday a few years ago.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
*Civil War
WBTS
Civil wars happen when two or more parties each with a legitimate claim to being the rightful government fight between them selves
Caesar vs Pompey, or Maud vs Stephen was a civil war
Revolution happens when a movement is a foot to upset and replace the legitimate government. America revolution or French Revolution.
61-65 was a war of independence, the American revolution falls also in to that catagory. The south wished to set up a new nation, it did not challenge Lincoln as president of the United States, it wished to break away.
It was fought by a small contingent of United States Army and a massive amount of 20th Maine, 123 Pennsylvania, 1Wisconsin against 4 Arkansas, 17 Alabama 6 North Carolina.
It was a war between The States.
Had the south ‘won’ which in reality would have been the north losing the will to fight, there would have been a new nation, Lincoln’s government would have continued to exist as president of a smaller United States

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video, which I hope to watch later today.

I don't remember how I heard about this story... Maybe a magazine article several years ago. I bought a copy of Jack Hinson's One-Man War at that time. It is an interesting book, and may challenge some preconceptions about the War Between the States. Jack Hinson's rifle is still in existence, and Tom McKenney, the author of the book, provided a few black-and-white photographs of it, as well as a physical description. He said the rifle is stocked in nicely figured maple but is otherwise unadorned, iron mounted, and has fixed sights. It has a percussion lock marked "Warranted," which probably means it was a factory made lock. He said the name on the plate, "...now partially worn away, appears to be John Archer." I suspect the name on the lock was more likely "Jos. Golcher" (or Goulcher... I've seen both). He reported a 41 inch barrel "nearly 1.5 inches in outside diameter," in .50 caliber, with a weight of 18 pounds. What made this rifle unique was the fact that it was made to shoot a conical bullet, and a mould was evidently provided by the gunsmith.

McKenney also said this rifle has the maker's initials, W.E.G. marked on the barrel, for William E. Goodman, "of Lewis County." I don't know if that would be in Kentucky or Tennessee, as Jack Hinson's vendetta was right on the border.

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I watched the video, and found it was very well done. Thanks to @TNGhost for starting this interesting thread!

I also looked up William E. Goodman, the maker of Mr. Hinson's rifle, in Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Tennessee, by James B. Whisker. This lists a William E. Goodman (born 1831 - died ?) as a gunsmith in Lewis County, Tennessee, in the 1860 census.

I would also like to add that the comments made by @tenngun regarding the names applied to the conflict were spot on. Southerners typically refer to it as "The War Between the States," because the Confederate States, for better or for worse, seceded and formed their own government with their own constitution. The Confederate states considered themselves a separate country. Northern people call it "The Civil War," because, as I understand it, the Federal Government did not recognize the secession, and considered the conflict a civil war within the United States of America. Lincoln himself referred to the states that seceded as "wayward sisters." I understand that many of the participants referred to it as "The War of '61." The video pointed out that Jack Hinson was actually opposed secession. Many southerners were, but they got caught up in the conflict for other reasons. It was a terrible time.

Notchy Bob

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for adding the details on the rifle and the maker, I had looked some myself without much success. It might be interesting to try to build a replica of Hinson's rifle.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for adding the details on the rifle and the maker, I had looked some myself without much success. It might be interesting to try to build a replica of Hinson's rifle.
I believe there are 38 "o"'s on the top barrel flat. Just like notches on a pistol grip for boat or army captains and others.......

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This video from the Rutherford Historical Society is a presentation in which Judge Ben Hall McFarlin shares how Jack Hinson of Dover, TN was not a man with whom to trifle... Hinsons rifle is there in the room to examine and the gentleman gives a lot of information on it. Traces the ownership of the rifle, through Nathan Bedford Forrest, the judge's great(?) grandfather.

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Series of videos of interviews by the publishers with the author of "One Man War" Tom McKenney, on how he researched it and stories surrounding the writing of the book.

Good historic stuff.

Funny what YouTube starts sending you once you watch something, very few views on these, but interesting none the less.

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So YouTube keeps gifting me old and obscure videos concerning this subject so here is a series that documents a speech given by the the author, Tom McKenney, in the local area where he did his research. Again very interesting, if you are into this topic. I am kind of interested in how many more YouTube can find for me :D Didn't know they were so big on the Confederacy. They've been like dropping a couple a day on me, plus unrelated Confederate stuff on snipers, sharpshooters, uniforms, battles. Most of the good stuff is older like past five years ago, that is when you can sense the censorship and PC attitude creep in.

Last edited:

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Let me know if you guys are getting bored with this stuff and I'll quit posting it.

Latest posts