• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Thing About Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
On this forum I have seen Flintlocks described as addictive , cool , neat, fun etc . They may be all of that or none of that .
I like them because they are historic and were used in a significant part of World History .
There were many different types of small arms ignition before the Flintlock , probably the most used was the Matchlock .
A flintlock is a lock where the steel ( frizzen) and pan cover are in one piece and the ignition is by a piece of flint striking sparks off the steel .
The earliest known flintlock is a French rifle made 1605-1610 by M LE Bovrgeoys for King Henri IV of France .
The caplock was fully developed by about 1830-1836 , the metallic cartridge was well in use by the 1860's . So the Flintlock was in use for approximately 220 years ,before it was starting to be replaced by the caplock , which was in use for approximately 30 years before it was replaced by the metallic cartridge which has been in use for approximately 160 years .
It can be seen that flintlocks were used for a longer time than any other hand held firearm type .
My flintlocks cover from about 1740 to 1835 +- These were historic and heroic times of war , colonization , exploration and trade . These firearms enabled the formation of Countries , the downfall of Kings and the rise of Empires , they were used to feed our ancestors , for sport and defense, they changed the World as little else has
Flintlocks are not mystical , complicated dirty or inaccurate, many are genuine works of art , some are fakes , some are misnamed, many seem to be misunderstood . They are items of both legend and misinformation.
Above all they are, in so many ways , an immediate connection to our past and above all and most importantly are fun to use.

Last edited:
On this forum I have seen Flintlocks described as addictive , cool , neat etc . They may be all of that or none of that .
I like them because they are historic and were used in a significant part of World History .
There were many different types of small arms ignition before the Flintlock , probably the most used was the Matchlock .
A flintlock is a lock where the steel ( frizzen) and pan cover are in one piece and the ignition is by a piece of flint striking sparks off the steel .
The earliest known flintlock is a French rifle made 1605-1610 by M LE Bovrgeoys for King Henri IV of France .
The caplock was fully developed by about 1830-1836 , the metallic cartridge was well in use by the 1860's . So the Flintlock was in use for approximately 220 years ,before it was starting to be replaced by the caplock , which was in use for approximately 30 years before it was replaced by the metallic cartridge which has been in use for approximately 160 years .
It can be seen that flintlocks were used for a longer time than any other hand held firearm type .
My flintlocks cover from about 1740 to 1835 +- These were historic and heroic times of war , colonization , exploration and trade . These firearms enabled the formation of Countries , the downfall of Kings and the rise of Empires , they were used to feed our ancestors , for sport and defense, they changed the World as little else has
Flintlocks are not mystical , complicated dirty or inaccurate, many are genuine works of art , some are fakes , some are misnamed, many seem to be misunderstood . They are items of both legend and misinformation.
Above all they are, in so many ways , an immediate connection to our past and above all and most importantly are fun to use.
And you don't need percussion caps .That's my ammuseing observation. But at the Big R vous it was allmost the hall mark of a tyro to be useing caplocks . Even I did 17 big' Eastern's' and never used caplocks and few orders where for cap locks except the long range 451 type rifle such as the Gibbs Metford or Whitworth / Creedmore type rifle (unlikley to be found at any Rondevous type events ) Most I ever made was flintlock or earlier . What I did use was a half stocked' pistol gripped 'flint rifle made up of seconds & plain as a pikestaff, it was dubbed a 'New Zealand Poor boy" and through several barrel options so it remains but now lives with me instead of leaving it in the US for summer use .(I used to swap hemispheres not liking winter much) .
Regards Rudyard

On this forum I have seen Flintlocks described as addictive , cool , neat, fun etc . They may be all of that or none of that .
I can't call myself a historian, but when I buy a smoke pole, I want it to be authentic to the period. I first started out with a TC Hawken kit. At the time, TC was using some pretty decent black walnut in their kits. Someone saw it and I sold it. I put together four more kits that I sold, again, the wood was excellent at the time. I found out the TC is not period correct to Hawken. I did some research (before you could find anything and everything on the internet), and came across a Hawken full stock flintlock. I bought a maple stock from Pecatonica, and gathered the other parts and built one. Since the first time I shot it, I knew I liked flint better than percussion. Not that I sneeze at percussion, I had a Bedford County 36 caliber I took several squirrels with. My latest is a Kibler SMR in 36.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania didn't allow caplock rifles in late season, so I never looked at them. Flintlock was all I knew because I enjoyed extending my hunting season. That led me to get more into that particular style rifle. Later it was smoothbore and only recently my first caplock .32 for squirrels. I think Muzzleloaders are often a process that takes many paths depending on who you talk to.

Pennsylvania didn't allow caplock rifles in late season, so I never looked at them. Flintlock was all I knew because I enjoyed extending my hunting season. That led me to get more into that particular style rifle. Later it was smoothbore and only recently my first caplock .32 for squirrels. I think Muzzleloaders are often a process that takes many paths depending on who you talk to.
I wish Arkansas had a flint only season. When muzzle loading season started here, there was only traditional guns available. Now, they allow in-lines. To me, it distracts from the original intent, to use what was available at the time, not a modern version. Even if it included both percussion and flint, I think it should be side lock only. If you want to use an in-line with sabots, and scopes and whatever, use it during the modern season. My 2 cents

I can't call myself a historian, but when I buy a smoke pole, I want it to be authentic to the period. I first started out with a TC Hawken kit. At the time, TC was using some pretty decent black walnut in their kits. Someone saw it and I sold it. I put together four more kits that I sold, again, the wood was excellent at the time. I found out the TC is not period correct to Hawken. I did some research (before you could find anything and everything on the internet), and came across a Hawken full stock flintlock. I bought a maple stock from Pecatonica, and gathered the other parts and built one. Since the first time I shot it, I knew I liked flint better than percussion. Not that I sneeze at percussion, I had a Bedford County 36 caliber I took several squirrels with. My latest is a Kibler SMR in 36.
I too started with a TC Hawken kit , I like to research anything I am interested and got Bairds books on Hawken's and found my TC was not Kosher , so I sold it and brought a CVA .58 mountain rifle , that had to go because it had a coil spring lock . I finally got my hands on a Uberti Hawken , and although it isn't a perfect recreation it was close enough for me . After that I started on Parker Hale Enfield's and a Pedersoli Charleville and on to my other flintlocks .

There are no bad BP guns, of course, just some I enjoy more than others, in this case, flintlocks. The historical period they represent is my favorite, I like the look and extra 'fiddling' they require. A full length stock Pennsylvania style flintlock has to be the most elegant firearm ever designed.

If nothing else, they provide two puffs of smoke instead of only one. :)

Jeff

I wish Arkansas had a flint only season. When muzzle loading season started here, there was only traditional guns available. Now, they allow in-lines. To me, it distracts from the original intent, to use what was available at the time, not a modern version. Even if it included both percussion and flint, I think it should be side lock only. If you want to use an in-line with sabots, and scopes and whatever, use it during the modern season. My 2 cents
I suspect that if there was a flint-only season the manufacturers would soon come up with high-tech in-line "flint locks" using alloy flints and bolt action loading that would look at ease on a spaceship.

I shoot all kinds of firearms (the legal ones that is) but my favourite is my flintlock 20 gauge, there is more satisfaction in getting a bunny or two with it than with anything else.
Besides I like the smoke and smell :)
Colonial Boy, you hit the nail right on the head! To me flintlock is simply more fun. I shoot lots of different guns, but for pure enjoyment, I will shoot my flintlock, and yes, I love the smell too.

Excellent summary and motivation for the fascination with flintlocks. It's pretty much how I feel about my trad bows -- even though they make use of synthetic materials in the laminations and tips. 😂

Likely 95% to 98% of my shooting is with flintlocks; yes they are more fun. And if you are choosing something appropriate for the colonial/Early American period, it "should" be a flintlock. And believe me, it doesn't have to be a copy of an existing Haines or Dickert to be correct for the time period. As long as it is generically similar to the guns used during that period, it ought to be fine.

<---- This movie and Fess Parker made our generation aware of the olden days.

I have a first gen Dickerson Davy Crockett knife. Wanted one since I was 10. They were only made in the US from 1961-64.

Ive owned one cap gun (back in the 70s) Got into flinters in the 90s. Aint never going back

Flintlocks are complicated, unreliable, temperamental, don't work half the time or more, take far more skill then is worth, and use that black stuff that you can't get anymore.
I recommend ya'll just send send them to me for proper disposal and leave any of that black powder stuff on the shelf, I will come and pick it up to prevent any new folk from getting suckered into a lost cause.

Fer sure, @Mad L, you're taking on a big task. I'll support your generous offer by taking on the smooth bored flint locks. They can be sent to me.

Last fall, at one of my club's matches, we had a visitor that was sort of familiar with cap lock revolvers. He and his wife were naturally unsure of the long rifles. He had heard a lot about the lag time of the locks and just how finicky they were. I heard his comments as I was passing by. I had just fired my Derringer rifle (L&R lock) so I was sort of comfortable with the state of the flint and the rifle's readiness to fire. I offered to let him and his wife have a shot to let him experience the lag time and general frustration. He may have sharpened his senses to sense the lag time, but as usual, when I let someone shoot my rifle, I can't see a lag. His wife made a great shot too. Loads of course were modest. No sense if scaring off a new shooter with a brutal load.

Latest posts

Back