• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The TC New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 50, 1:48. It shoots very good. I like the fact it's a little less weight.

I have one in .54 that is also 1:48 and it shoots maxiballs pretty well. I've never tried round balls in it, but I'm sure I could work up a load for them too. It's taken 1 cow elk. I also have a 12 ga barrel with choke tubes for it that works really well for chukars and quail.

I have had mine since 1992, .54 cal. 1:48 twist. Shot 55 gr of 3F, prb. Super accurate 1 hole groups at 50 yards. With the Hornady Great Plains bullets and 110 gr 3F I get 1.5” groups at 100 yards. I have taken Moose, caribou, deer and black bears with it, absolutely reliable in all the weather I hunt in.

It’s ok for the money. Don’t overpay for one. Mine is good to about 75 yards, 50 caliber round ball. Then the groups open up, but I really don’t shoot any farther than that. Just a nice American made rifle.

I owned one. They are kinda reminiscent of a caplock, English Sporting rifle. When in production you could get a 12 gauge barrel for them too.
Mine was .54 which is 1:48 twist. It shot fine, and was my "heavy rain" backup for my flinter during deer season.
Where I am any shot past 75 yards is a "long" one for deer. Lots of brush, don't cha know....
Three years ago my son was graduating High School, so I got a 12 gauge barrel for the New Englander.
It became one of his graduation presents. 😊

LD

The NE stock was a better fit for me than a TC Hawken or Renegade. AFAIK, they were all 1-48" twist, .50 and .54. For deer hunting with PRBs, I preferred the .54. My .50 barrel shot conicals and unmentionables very well, so its pick your poison.

The White Mountain Carbine looked much like the NE, but was 20" octagon to round with a quick twist barrel.

.50 cal, I shoot .490 PRB with 70 gr. Good accurate gun. I recently changed the load to 50 gr so my young son can hunt and shoot with it.

They were 1 of TC’s “Meat & Potatoes“ type Rifles, I have one in .54 Cal, it was my 1st Muzzleloader, a Gift from my Dad. To be brutally honest, I personally don’t like the New Englander, If it wasn’t for it being a Gift from my Dad it would have been LONG Gone, LONG ago. Mine had the QLA Muzzle, I ended up finding another Brand New .54 Cal New Englander Barrel without the QLA, I swapped them and got rid of the QLA Muzzle Barrel. I bought a 12 Gauge Barrel with Screw in Choke Tubes for mine as well, I ended up trading the 12 Gauge Barrel off, Looking back I should have kept the 12 Gauge Barrel and Kept my New Englander a Designated Shotgun. A New Englander would have to be REALLY cheap before i bought one, and that would only be to Re-sell it :)

Got one extra left hand barrel, a corroded .50 bore.
Seriously thinking about turning it into a modern day analog to a Volunteer or P58.
As it's a fifty it would be easy to rebore for as-cast fifty rifle molds in the 425-500 grain range.

They were 1 of TC’s “Meat & Potatoes“ type Rifles, I have one in .54 Cal, it was my 1st Muzzleloader, a Gift from my Dad. To be brutally honest, I personally don’t like the New Englander, If it wasn’t for it being a Gift from my Dad it would have been LONG Gone, LONG ago. Mine had the QLA Muzzle, I ended up finding another Brand New .54 Cal New Englander Barrel without the QLA, I swapped them and got rid of the QLA Muzzle Barrel. I bought a 12 Gauge Barrel with Screw in Choke Tubes for mine as well, I ended up trading the 12 Gauge Barrel off, Looking back I should have kept the 12 Gauge Barrel and Kept my New Englander a Designated Shotgun. A New Englander would have to be REALLY cheap before i bought one, and that would only be to Re-sell it :)

Don’t sugar-coat it Lewis, tell us how ya REALLY feel. LOL

A lot of people fuss about the high comb on TC Hawkens but to my big fat cheek it fits much better than all that drop on the New Englander does. But l shoot a right-hand Hawken left-handed so that bulbous-ass ‘cheekrest’ don’t get in my way.

My .54 New Englander had the QLA. Turned it into a .458 bore (just call it a caseless ammo 45-90).
:horseback:

After a few modifications i like my New Englander a lot better, The Trigger pull was HORRENDOUS on mine!! That was the 1st thing i fixed, My trigger pull is now 2-1/2 to 3 Pounds 👍 This requires Altering the Tumbler (Removing metal) So I won’t post it here

The other thing I didn’t like was the “Beak” looking Piece that is built in to the Tang, It serves ZERO purpose, Just a “for looks” thing. It hangs down over the Lock making it impossible to Remove the Lock without Removing the Tang First (I don’t know what TC was thinking on this???) Sine i shoot a Tang Mounted Peep Sight the LAST thing i want to do is Remove the Tang in order to access my Lock. When i have my Rifles Tang set right, I want it left WELL ENOUGH alone!

This ridiculous thing
ymAgYKY.jpg

I pulled the Tang, Cut the “Beak” Off, Hit it with Cold Blue and Called it a Day. Now, Like the TC Hawken & Renegade, When i remove the Barrel i can also Remove my Lock if i choose to for Cleaning & Re-Lubing 👍
0qC0qB0.jpg

wcypGyv.jpg

After a few modifications i like my New Englander a lot better, The Trigger pull was HORRENDOUS on mine!! That was the 1st thing i fixed, My trigger pull is now 2-1/2 to 3 Pounds 👍 This requires Altering the Tumbler (Removing metal) So I won’t post it here

The other thing I didn’t like was the “Beak” looking Piece that is built in to the Tang, It serves ZERO purpose, Just a “for looks” thing. It hangs down over the Lock making it impossible to Remove the Lock without Removing the Tang First (I don’t know what TC was thinking on this???) Sine i shoot a Tang Mounted Peep Sight the LAST thing i want to do is Remove the Tang in order to access my Lock. When i have my Rifles Tang set right, I want it left WELL ENOUGH alone!

This ridiculous thing
ymAgYKY.jpg

I pulled the Tang, Cut the “Beak” Off, Hit it with Cold Blue and Called it a Day. Now, Like the TC Hawken & Renegade, When i remove the Barrel i can also Remove my Lock if i choose to for Cleaning & Re-Lubing 👍
0qC0qB0.jpg

wcypGyv.jpg
Yup, I did surgery on mine as well,saves a lot of headache !!

I have 2 of them in .50 right now as consignment pieces...

I try to like the round barrels, but aesthetically I just don't really care for them.

20210530_040046_HDR.jpg

Back