• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Superstition Of Gifting A Knife, Is It Real?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dispatch

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The superstition that if you give someone a knife as a gift, the recipient MUST give the donor a coin or it cuts the friendship.

Do you believe this to be a real thing?
m1705.gif

well, about ten years ago my neighbors 3 girls all started hunting. ages 12 to 16.
i gave each a hunting knife from my collection. they didn't give me a coin in return and have all run off and got married.
maybe there is something to the superstition.
or maybe they just wanted a younger man! 👨‍🦳 :D

The superstition that if you give someone a knife as a gift, the recipient MUST give the donor a coin or it cuts the friendship.

m1705.gif
Of course I don't believe it! But, a coin is always given or received in return, just to honor the tradition, you know... ;)

My dad told me about this when I was just a child. Superstition or not, I've never felt right about giving a knife or receiving one without a little something, even a penny, being given in return.

On the old frontier, "swapping knives," giving one's personal knife in exchange for someone else's, was considered a declaration of friendship. I believe some Native American people did the same thing. I don't know if the white frontiersmen learned this from the Indians or vice versa, or if it was already practiced by both cultures, but it was widely understood. If one of the native tribesmen asked to trade knives with you, he wasn't just looking to upgrade his cutlery. It was a way of forming an alliance.

Notchy Bob

m1705.gif
You got it backwards.
The gift is the coin. 1 cent. The "edged cutting tool" is gratuity with the gift.
If you "give" someone a knife,, A knife or edged item's use is cutting, it's intent is to "cut" or "sever".
It's a closing gesture.

So Yeah, I'm superstitious.

remember that it is a DULL KNIFE THAT WILL CUT YOU. think about this old saying? rely makes sense!

remember that it is a DULL KNIFE THAT WILL CUT YOU. think about this old saying? rely makes sense!
Years ago in the Wilshire District of Los Angeles, I rented what had been the stables behind an old mansion and was later converted into a garage, with the butler's quarters above it. Lived upstairs, made the garage area my workshop, and everyone was happy - until I brought an Eskimo gal I met in a laundromat home along with a bottle of Jim Beam, and the gal who owned the mansion walked in on us. Apparently she had considered me her private reserve...

Yeah, bit of a sidetrack. But said landlady had a dad who came to visit her one day when she wasn't home, and while he was waiting he decided to sharpen all her kitchen knives for her. She didn't know he had done it, and the next time she used a knife she cut a finger about half off...

First I heard about it was in an Anthony Hopkins movie I think called the Bear. Seen it referenced several times since. I don’t know if it’s an old superstition or not.
I follow lots of silly superstitions, though I laugh and say I don’t believe, or it’s just a silly superstition, I feel creepy if I violate it

It was used on the old Andy Griffith show. Man gives the Sheriff a knife, he fishes into his pocket for a coin, and says “Sorry, it’s the smallest I’ve got.” Andy’s lady friend scolds him for hurting the giver’s feelings and Andy explains it’s a tradition to ensure the knife won’t “cut the friendship”.

In the fall of 1997, I went to supper with a buddy of mine from work (Colonial Williamsburg), his wife, and a friend of theirs who I had met a couple of times on the job. I was wearing my ol’ Green River knife, Ralph had a Bowie, and Lara mentioned that she felt out of place because she didn’t have a cool, big knife to wear in public. I got to work as soon as I got home.
For Christmas I gave her what I’d come up with- a dagger-shaped object with an oversized antler grip, an undersized guard, and a blade and sheath cut down from my old plug bayonet. It makes me wince to look at it now, but she LOVED it.
And this September, we’ll be celebrating our 23rd anniversary. Now. As dull as that knife is, it COULD just be taking a really long time to sever the relationship, but I find it easier to believe that the superstition is nonsense.
Not like carrying a buckeye in your shooting bag. That one’s legit! 🤣
Jay

In the fall of 1997, I went to supper with a buddy of mine from work (Colonial Williamsburg), his wife, and a friend of theirs who I had met a couple of times on the job. I was wearing my ol’ Green River knife, Ralph had a Bowie, and Lara mentioned that she felt out of place because she didn’t have a cool, big knife to wear in public. I got to work as soon as I got home.
For Christmas I gave her what I’d come up with- a dagger-shaped object with an oversized antler grip, an undersized guard, and a blade and sheath cut down from my old plug bayonet. It makes me wince to look at it now, but she LOVED it.
And this September, we’ll be celebrating our 23rd anniversary. Now. As dull as that knife is, it COULD just be taking a really long time to sever the relationship, but I find it easier to believe that the superstition is nonsense.
Not like carrying a buckeye in your shooting bag. That one’s legit! 🤣
Jay

Is Lara the friend or your buddy’s wife or ex-wife which is now your wife ?

Never heard of this before.

I used to make a few knifes and gave quite a few of them away. Never receive a coin in return.

Fleener

Is Lara the friend or your buddy’s wife or ex-wife which is now your wife ?
Lara was the friend. Ralph and Jenny remained happily married until his death.
Gave my son a couple of quality kitchen knives a couple of years ago, now he’s working as a chef! As far as I’m concerned, knives make great gifts!
Jay

A friend of my dad's was the most superstitious guy ever. He never carried a knife, swore it was bad luck. He always borrowed dad's folding Buck, but because of a burr in the innards he couldn't close it. Also a huge no no if you believe such nonsense.
Im smiling thinking about the times he'd borrow dad's knife, then ask "did i open this knife or did you? ". Dad always said he couldn't recall, which made Marvin even more upset.
After a few of those episodes Marvin would ask to borrow dad's knife, but then insist dad open it first.
I've got enough to worry about without being superstitious...knock wood!!! LMAO

Latest posts

Back