The Still River Cordwainer

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by thecapgunkid, Nov 14, 2014.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1

thecapgunkid

thecapgunkid

thecapgunkid

40 Cal.

Never thought to write all of this down before.
    1740-Maybe 1780, based in The Newbury Parish (now Brookfield) and New Milford of Connecticut.

Cordwainers are interesting because their literacy sometimes made them valuable ( Roger Sherman) and sometimes actually got them some disrespect ( the term shoemaker in the factory era insults someone who worked poorly)

Part woodsman and Ranger, part townie and smuggler, part farmer and family man. More stable than a marginal man, capable of long hunting but spending most of his time in the trade, in the community.

The only thing I am missing from then is being a Mason. I tote my bible, but have the same reservations about the literal of the law everybody else does so as to be a proficient sinner if left unto my own.

It's a lot of fun writing about characters who touch the edge of history without being promulgators of the events, and that's where my character resides. Sometimes Asa Clapp, sometimes NOah Dobbs, heavily involved in the French and Indian Theater of Lake George and dibbling in the Mohawk Valley in the 1770's.

I really like making leather products for the living historian, and also enjoy the fact that most of my revenues go to charity. I might go to a Rendezvous or a re-enactment for a day, but the main focus is on the craft, the trail walk and trekking.

Pictures are worth more than words sometimes, especially if you are a writer who can go on and on, so here's all of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nov 15, 2014 #2

Jim Vatt

Jim Vatt

Jim Vatt

40 Cal.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Pictures are worth more than words sometimes, especially if you are a writer who can go on and on, so here's all of it"

No one minds, especially when you're posting things worth reading.

I'm curious, were the beaded mocs, neck knife, etc. part of another persona?

3. Nov 15, 2014 #3

Alden

Alden

Alden

Cannon

Dude, YOU are doing it right. ...an example to us all, especially as having developed such professional skill(s). My shoes off to you!

How do YOU feel about wearing peds underneath stocking feet by the way?

4. Nov 17, 2014 #4

Jim Vatt

Jim Vatt

Jim Vatt

40 Cal.

????????????

5. Nov 17, 2014 #5

thecapgunkid

thecapgunkid

thecapgunkid

40 Cal.

Thank you for the compliments, gents.

Wear the peds. Challenge anyone out there who questions that there may have been some guy who asked his wife to knit up some half stockings to protect his footsies because he was marching off to war and ready to trade them for some short-supply food...

All the stuff is from one persona. I learned over the years that most of the townies ( including shoemakers) who reported for duty in the Lake George Area or Saratoga area would adopy "indian stockings" and "indian shoes" out of necessity. My persona would have been there, done that, although about not much of a war hero.

Ranging or bush running could always have been associated with hunting skills that a lot of people had. The Mocassins under the rifle are Mohican. They lived about fifteen miles up the road from me in Connecticut.

See that red sheath on the belt by the fire and the neck sheath by the rifle? Neither of them are really documented but one of the finest men I have ever known, Thomas Hearne out of Number Four in New Hampshire, made both of them for me.

The neck sheath is still here, but I gave the red (Sioux) to a young man at the Whispering Pines Rendezvous in return for a promise of straight B's for the back half of his Junior year because he wanted to go to West Point. When he got the grades he was supposed to call me and read 2Timothy1:7 on my voicemail and sure enough...

There is also 20 years and about thirty pounds between the picture by the fire and the picture at the shoe bench. The former was taken during our trip up the dead river in maine re-tracing arnold's route. The latter was at an historic house in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh when we lived out there.

I posted a Dieskau trip and will post a battle on snowshoes trek in the other section where I put the practicality of the persona to the acid test.

6. Nov 18, 2014 #6

Jim Vatt

Jim Vatt

Jim Vatt

40 Cal.

Thanks for sharing. I'll be looking forward to the Battle on Snowshoes Trek info. You've got a much broader and fleshed out persona than many.... :thumbsup:

7. Nov 21, 2014 #7

Ken Cormier

Ken Cormier

Ken Cormier

50 Cal.

:hatsoff: Thank you for the neat post. Enjoyed the pic's alot. The belt bag is really nice I love it. Thanks again.

8. Dec 10, 2014 #8

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Greg, you are clearly a man of skill, patience and character.

:hatsoff: