• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The seasons.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see. We have jackrabbits in the west (hares) - never lived on the left side of the Mississippi. Here in Maine we have the snowshoe hare; rabbits are protected. Don't know what else is out there in the wilds.
I'm not totally sure but your snowshoe maybe the same as our mountain or blue hare 🤔.

I'm not totally sure but your snowshoe maybe the same as our mountain or blue hare 🤔.
Looking thru' Linaeus's Cataloging They are different. Both classed as LEPUS (snow shoe as a rabbit Americanus) (the mountain as a hare Timidus). The Mountain looks much more like a Brown hare than the Snow shoe which is more Rabbit shaped. Another load of useless information.. They both have Big Back feet.. OLD DOG..

I'm originally from the Deep South (Georgia) and we only have cottontail rabbits. There are two or three varieties and they do differ, in size, habitat, etc. All the other species are exotic to me.

Here in Eastern Kansas we have cottontails. Western Kansas also has jackrabbits, but I haven't seen one in this area for years. I grew up in south-central Nebraska and we had both cottontails and jackrabbits. Jackrabbits are very rare there now due primarily to habitat change. There is now much more crop land and very few pastures in the area where I was and even the crop land is mostly irrigated with very little wheat ground or summer fallow.

It's been years since I've seen a true hate,pic sure looked like one,when I was growing up in Kansas used to hunt jackrabbits,grandma would stew them up, have seen a snow shoe hair once,but we hunting something much bigger at the time

I spend time in two places. In North Carolina there is pretty much 4 distinct seasons (weather wise) and one hunting season plus spring turkey. In Texas, there seems to be summer for about 9 or 10 months and fall for the remainder, just two weather seasons. The hunting seasons never really end. To me, time in perspective seems longer when I am in NC and experience the changes in nature. In Texas it seems like time flies by.

Well black fly season has commenced again here in NH, Then when it ends it will be tourist season.

Most of us prefer black fly season cause when they bother you you can slap the manure out of them and no one cares.
We have May fly, thems black.
They use to cover my bikes and me when riding some years, billions of them.
Our tourist season starts about then to. Which is great because it means thousands have buggered off somewhere else!

A black fly is not a mayfly.
Hi MntMan. Wan't suggestig they were, just following up Smoothies comment about our Mayfly. The only Black flies I can remember were little Black flies that came with the corn harvest and got everywhere. We always called 'em Harvest Mites and they came in clouds. Modern pesticides seem to have got rid of them and lots of other small song bird food.. OLD DOG..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a sign of getting older. Yesterday I went deer hunting, today Im turkey hunting. Oh wait, deer season was 5 months ago.

Back