• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Ruger New/ Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking for an ROA for a few weeks and couldn't settle with various sellers over the last couple of months. Now I know why. "My" gun was on the way.
Driving up the Highway 395 into the eastern Sierra on a short fishing trip yesterday my phone pinged a text message from a friend that has been helping a widow rehome a lot of her husband's toys for income. At the next stop I find a note with a picture that simply says "You want this?" At first I thought it was an 1858 Navy (picture size) then I looked closer. It's a blued ROA in pristine shape for a great price and it just fell into my lap.
"Coincidences". Ya just gotta love them. <grin>

wm

I know about the Ruger letters, having read them many years back now.

Me, I have number of gwaeth with Ruger.

My ROA should have been supplied with an accessory/spare taller foresight - it was not. I read on a slip of paper in the box that this was part of the deal for UK, NOT to include one, but if I wanted one, all I had to do was to write Sturm, Ruger Inc quoting my serial number and I'd get one. That was in 1986. I'm still waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember ads in Muzzle Blasts when the ROA was first produced. Originally, this revolver was only available with adjustable sights, and the thrust of the marketing seemed to be toward competition shooters. Cowboy Action Shooters then took an interest, but the adjustable sights relegated shooters of the ROA to the "Modern" category, regardless of the type of powder/propellant or ignition. So, a fixed sight version was introduced, as well as one with a shorter barrel and the stainless models, all of which made the CAS folks starry-eyed. With fixed sights, Cowboy Action Shooters can compete in the various blackpowder categories.

I can't explain why Ruger discontinued the ROA. It's too easy to just say it boils down to money, but as far as I know sales were generally brisk, and in posts above our friends in the UK tell us sales were very strong over there. We Americans are frequently ignorant of the global appeal of our sport. Discontinuing this revolver does not make sense to me.

I had a pair of fixed-sighted ROAs for a while, and I shot my brother's stainless one with adjustable sights. They are nice, accurate, and reliable revolvers, but something about them looked ungainly to my eye, as compared to almost any original percussion revolver. In addition, I am kind of fanatic about detail cleaning of my guns after shooting, and reassembling the ROA after taking it down was tedious. In any event, I traded mine in and haven't regretted it... much.
I think Ruger has resurrected a few discontinued models and produced "special runs" on occasion. Maybe there will be another ROA in the future.

A ruger old army , but in a compact 32 or 36 caliber, would be nice.
That would be an "Old Navy."

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
As most hard core competitors can agree the accuracy & consistent 'group size' of a pistol or rifle is dependent on the barrel & it's rate of twist.
Original 1858 Remington's & Colts had what is called progressive twist rifling. Their rifling had almost zero twist as the ball or slug jumped the gap between the cylinder & the barrel , this prevented skidding & stripping with heavy loads by giving the projectile time to fully seat before engaging the much faster rate of twist a third of the way up the barrel.
Some of you serious competitors realized this years ago & bought the much more expensive custom replica model revolvers that had their barrels replaced with Lothar or other custom made barrels that had progressive or faster twist rifling.
Ruger knew what type rifling produced excellent accuracy so shooters who demand tight groups are now paying much higher prices for a Ruger or like myself are shooting an original.
I figure this posting may draw lots of fire & opposition to this subject on accuracy, but if your willing to do some research on rifling types & accuracy you 'will' benefit & possibly come to a similar conclusion.
Relic shooter

I like the reliability of the Ruger, I am not impressed with the variable quality of Italian product.
I do very much like the appearance and SHOOTABLE design of original Colts. Some preference for 1860 Army and one or the other Dragoon.
SHOOTABLE - in my personal opinion the desirability of a Remington is that the solid frame makes it more comfortable to a modern guy, as it more resembles an Unmentionable revolver. And of course we all know it must be stronger

Also helps the fire spread better around back to other nipples.
Sacrilege, I know but I have the notion that a man involved with a target that bites or shoots back would live longer if armed with a nasty old primitive Colt design. Colts were designed for fighting (Remember that Walker guy?). Remington for selling profitably.

Yeah, here comes that nasty old metallurgist again. Colt frames were forged high quality wrought iron, lightly case carburized. Remington were originally so, but during Mr. Lincoln's war they switched to malleable cast iron.

Cheaper.
I was told by one Rem expert (??Donald L. Ware???) that the Army complained but Rem did nothing. I've owned some original Remington revolvers and, from my work experience, it was clear which were forged and which were clearly CAST iron.

To me, the ROA is the magnum of todays BP revolvers. For forum members that do not already have the Ruger Old Army Complete pdf that was published by Dixie Slugs many years ago, attached is the pdf. It is an excellent source for load data.

Attachments

• ROA_complete_.pdf
    682.4 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
The Ruger is a fine gun but it does not share parts with the currently produced Ruger single action revolvers. Parts availability might be a challenge but it will be years down the road. Still, if you do manage to break (or misplace) an internal part on a ROA it might be a slight pain.

I bought one advertised as “new in box” a few years ago and it had oversized chamber mouths. The Hornady .457” balls that I miked at exactly .457” walked in the chambers under recoil tying up the gun. I sold the gun soon after.

Now ROAs are becoming collectors items and are fetching high prices. The word is out on them and their value will only continue to grow.

I myself enjoy the Remington New Model Army design a great deal. Both Uberti and Pietta quality has never been better and the guns are accurate and reliable after a little work, cost a fraction of a ROA, parts are widely available for them, and are a connection to actual historical designs.
My worked over Pietta 58 is every bit as accurate as my ROA if not a bit more. I have always shot better scores with it than the ROA which has also been fine tuned.

I've been looking for an ROA for a few weeks and couldn't settle with various sellers over the last couple of months. Now I know why. "My" gun was on the way.
Driving up the Highway 395 into the eastern Sierra on a short fishing trip yesterday my phone pinged a text message from a friend that has been helping a widow rehome a lot of her husband's toys for income. At the next stop I find a note with a picture that simply says "You want this?" At first I thought it was an 1858 Navy (picture size) then I looked closer. It's a blued ROA in pristine shape for a great price and it just fell into my lap.
"Coincidences". Ya just gotta love them. <grin>

wm
Welp, I picked mine up on the way in from the High Sierra. I see absolutely NO evidence of this ROA of ever having been fired. The hammer is pristine, no turn marks on the cylinder and certainly no nicks anywhere on the wood or steel. Likewise the bore, cylinder and nipples look pristine. Me happy boy.
Oh. My buddy included a full tin of CCI #11s from his stash. "I kinda figured you'd wanna shoot it." Absolutely!

wm

Welp, I picked mine up on the way in from the High Sierra. I see absolutely NO evidence of this ROA of ever having been fired. The hammer is pristine, no turn marks on the cylinder and certainly no nicks anywhere on the wood or steel. Likewise the bore, cylinder and nipples look pristine. Me happy boy.
Oh. My buddy included a full tin of CCI #11s from his stash. "I kinda figured you'd wanna shoot it." Absolutely!

wm
That’s a good friend!

I remember ads in Muzzle Blasts when the ROA was first produced. Originally, this revolver was only available with adjustable sights, and the thrust of the marketing seemed to be toward competition shooters. Cowboy Action Shooters then took an interest, but the adjustable sights relegated shooters of the ROA to the "Modern" category, regardless of the type of powder/propellant or ignition. So, a fixed sight version was introduced, as well as one with a shorter barrel and the stainless models, all of which made the CAS folks starry-eyed. With fixed sights, Cowboy Action Shooters can compete in the various blackpowder categories.

I can't explain why Ruger discontinued the ROA. It's too easy to just say it boils down to money, but as far as I know sales were generally brisk, and in posts above our friends in the UK tell us sales were very strong over there. We Americans are frequently ignorant of the global appeal of our sport. Discontinuing this revolver does not make sense to me.

I had a pair of fixed-sighted ROAs for a while, and I shot my brother's stainless one with adjustable sights. They are nice, accurate, and reliable revolvers, but something about them looked ungainly to my eye, as compared to almost any original percussion revolver. In addition, I am kind of fanatic about detail cleaning of my guns after shooting, and reassembling the ROA after taking it down was tedious. In any event, I traded mine in and haven't regretted it... much.
I think Ruger has resurrected a few discontinued models and produced "special runs" on occasion. Maybe there will be another ROA in the future.

That would be an "Old Navy."

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
And... an Old Police.

Despite what has been said here, the ROA was not based upon the Blackhawk. The parts of the blackhawk that could be used were used.
Bill Ruger modeled the Blackhawk after the Remington
Bisley/Beals. He said so. That was his inspiration. However, he was using investment castings so parts had to be thicker in places. He did not make it closer to an exact replica due to the need for more strength in the investment casting methods. Placed side by side, the ROA and Remington NMA are close cousins. Also the name Bill chose tells a story " Old Army." He was inspired by ,at this point, the Old NMA Remington design. I have more than a few of Ruger's Books and Magazine articles that cover the ROA. Ruger wanted a cowboy gun that would closely "Simulate" the old percussion revolvers. While not an exact replica, the word replica can include close simulations. Some of the ROA models are more like the old Remingtons than others. Bill Ruger wanted the Old Army accepted in all of the places and events that were available for "period-correct" cowboy action shooting and competition. And the ROA was and is accepted. It is a great percussion revolver, as for me, I let my last one slip away to a loved one, which I much regret. If I am able to find a nice deal I would love another one ,preferably in blue.

Last edited:
Despite what has been said here, the ROA was not based upon the Blackhawk. The parts of the blackhawk that could be used were used.
Bill Ruger modeled the Blackhawk after the Remington
Bisley/Beals. He said so. That was his inspiration. However, he was using investment castings so parts had to be thicker in places. He did not make it closer to an exact replica due to the need for more strength in the investment casting methods. Placed side by side, the ROA and Remington NMA are close cousins. Also the name Bill chose tells a story " Old Army." He was inspired by ,at this point, the Old NMA Remington design. I have more than a few of Ruger's Books and Magazine articles that cover the ROA. Ruger wanted a cowboy gun that would closely "Simulate" the old percussion revolvers. While not an exact replica, the word replica can include close simulations. Some of the ROA models are more like the old Remingtons than others. Bill Ruger wanted the Old Army accepted in all of the places and events that were available for "period-correct" cowboy action shooting and competition. And the ROA was and is accepted. It is a great percussion revolver, as for me, I let my last one slip away to a loved one, which I much regret. If I am able to find a nice deal I would love another one ,preferably in blue.

The internal action IS based on the Old Model Blackhawk.

Back