• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Ruger New/ Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 41 gr of Swiss FFFG and get 1102 FPS, it smashes deer. I just use the RB, no wads and put BPCR lube over the ball. Twist is a tad fast for a RB that fast so I just shoot closer.

Rodwha, you got me thinking. I'm a half assed machinist so what if you took a conical mold and went into it with an end mill, maybe 5/16, and took the RN to flat. Essentially making a SWC out of it, adding a bit more weight and keeping the same over all length. Think that would improve expansion?

Rodwha, you got me thinking. I'm a half assed machinist so what if you took a conical mold and went into it with an end mill, maybe 5/16, and took the RN to flat. Essentially making a SWC out of it, adding a bit more weight and keeping the same over all length. Think that would improve expansion?

What Woodnbow said. I don’t recall what I had read about the lower end of the suitable meplat spectrum. If you could make it look like the Lee RNFP or so you’d be doing good. According to the older info, back when they were configuring this wide meplat bullet for the .45-70, 78% was the largest one wanted to go. But what they found was that with each small incremental increase an even greater effect was evident in the permanent wound channel. Mine sport a hair over 83% meplats. My bullet will cut a larger permanent wound track but will sacrifice a little penetration as it has more frontal area to work against it. Honestly bullets with a bit of heft but traveling slow have great penetration capabilities. I don’t mind giving up a little of that when it’s still likely to go nose to tail through and adult medium game animal, and if not it’ll probably be close.

Back