• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rifle Shoppe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What can you tell me about parts sets from The Rifle Shoppe? Do the parts just bolt together or do they require some fitting? If they need fitting, is it just minor stock inletting, full tapping & drilling, or something inbetween? Are the stocks natural or are they stained? Anything else to note about their stuff?

Fitting is required. No holes are drilled, nothing is drilled or tapped. I wish the work "kit" had never been applied to the parts sets that many folks offer. It gives the impression that they are easy to do. I don't know of any "kits" that are stained.

Parts sets is exactly what they are, a set of parts.Good quality parts but definately not an easy to assemble "kit". :hmm:

Don't assume you can just call up there and order a kit either. You may wait years to recieve it if ever.
Their cataloge is a good reference, but it's more of a "wish book" than anything else.

The lock I got from them came as cast parts, no holes spotted drilled or threded. The parts needed major finishing and fitting. The stock and hardware I made myself and I ordered the barrel from another source.

The Rifle Shoppe does have a spotty history of delivering orders on time.

Getting to your question, the "kits" provided by them and are a set of rough castings that will need to be filed and finished.

Holes are not located, drilled or threaded.

In other words, these are not for the beginner.

The "kits" provided by other suppliers, with the exception of Lyman, Traditions and (if you can find them) Thompson Center, are also a collection of rough castings, rough shaped wood and semi-finished trigger assemblies and locks.

Even the trigger assemblies and locks will require holes that need locating, drilling and threading (tapping).

Ahh forgot to mention, DO NOT BUY PARTS IF THEY ARE NOT IN STOCK UNLESS YOU WANNA WAIT 2 YEARS!!!!!!!

I have averaged about 3-4 months delivery on the roughly 30 "castings" sets I have purchased though TRS over the years. I can only remember one or two orders that were longer than that, I think one ran up to a year. Some came sooner than the average. Fortunately I plan my projects years in advance, and don't do this for a living so a long wait isn't a killer for me.

It seems people can run into very long waits if they order compete parts sets, i.e. stocks, barrels, completed locks etc. If you can find a barrel someplace else, and build from a blank you should be able to drastically reduce the start time for your project. Don't let the wait time scare you away, depending on your project, you may not find more correct castings anywhere.

I have been on a "Rifle Shoppe" kick for the last 5 years, and the only real gripe was some walnut issues.
There is nothing worse than "light" walnut, meaning new growth, not dense, big pores, lightweight blanks, I want it old growth and heavy with tight, tight grain. I got some wood from them that was just too "light" for it's intended purpose in my opinion.
Other than that, the casting quality has been great..............but it is not for beginners.
The screws and such provided are basically hardware store bits, and you 'gotta make your own to be authentic as reasonably possible, and you will also have to know how to make springs. Most of these really old school builds use super heavy (thick) springs, and they are much more difficult to get right then let's say a Siler frizzen spring.
Build a TOTW (etc.) kit, and then you will have an idea whether you want to tackle a Rifle Shoppe offering!

A lot of people trash the Rifle Shoppe for being slow to fill orders but I have had good luck with them, they are very good copies of original parts. If you want a Thompson Center Hawken Rifle Kit go buy one but if you want a Historically Correct Copy of an original call The Rifle Shoppe...

Now I love the stuff I have ordered! Most hc stuff on the market!

Some people have had a very hard time with them but I've been pleased with the results and customer service.

Telling them my age may have helped a lot tho.

Latest posts

Back