• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Rifle Shoppe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in a country where home-making of firearms can earn you 15 years free meals and your own, rent-free accommodation [albeit cramped], I've never been tempted to build any kind of a firearm.

Doesn't mean that I'm somehow a lesser person. What I DO build are cars for my railroad... at least I can't get sent to jail for building THEM.

View attachment 165686

View attachment 165687
View attachment 165688

View attachment 165689

View attachment 165690

View attachment 165691
very nice work

LOL !!!!! Ok. Would you guys quit beating up my TRS pre-carved stock ? LOL !!!!

Of course, I pretty much agree with all of you. When I first viewed this stock, the first thing that came to my mind was that this did not look like something from Jim Chambers or others shops. But I shipped it and the rest of the kit off to Brian Anderson. I spent the next few days worrying that Brian might come back and tell me the stock was too butchered to use. But my prayers were answered when he said he thought he could make it work anyway.
So I lucked out and the finished gun turned out great. I post a Thread here on the finished gun a while back. Here's the Thread for those interested. Plus, I posted Brian's opinion of the overall kit in general for those interested in building a TRS kit. Would be worth reading.

Rick

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/spanish-escopeta.146027/

As of 30 minutes ago, I just received my first kit from them. It is the "Hakenbusche (855)". It looks like the simplest thing they sell that could still be considered a kit, so I may have had the best case scenario for turnaround time.

I emailed them the last week of August to confirm it was in stock and they responded the next day that it was. I had to call them a couple of times to get through, but I was able to order that week. They even followed up to confirm my address. Their initial estimate was 2-3 weeks, which seemed a little optimistic. I emailed them last week and the responded it was going out at the end of the week. Looking at the parts now, they all seem well made and the stock (simplistic as it is) actually looks fairly well cut.

They were very polite to deal with and given the combination of reasonable (enough) cost, small scale, and lack of competition, it was a positive experience.

Oh my… ! This is not the first time I’ve seen a stock like this form TRS.

Sometimes Rifle Shoppe will use a composite stock for three to four musket patterns. For example their Brown Bess Models 1756 - 1777 all use the same stock profile and need a lot more work then is one would believe.

I've built three 1710 Dutch muskets going back in the 90's. I believe Lepley did those stocks back then for TRS, Colerain did the barrels, and L. Day & son's built my Dutch locks. Now, even back then, it was a forgone conclusion that approx. 1 yr. would elapse before I had everything in hand to get started. Customers always got a serious 'head's up' on how long this was really going to take and not a one balked, to their credit. When going the route of making an oddball, specialized, 'off the beaten path' gun a very special type of persistance is key. Good, bad, or indifferent, it just goes with that territory. Hang in there, you're in familiar company. Cheers, Fred

Never liked Bob Lepley’s stocks. He skipped a lot, got an 1803 from him without a rammer hole drilled. At the time I was not set up at all for that task, I only had a small collection of bench tools.

Oh my… ! This is not the first time I’ve seen a stock like this form TRS.

Sometimes Rifle Shoppe will use a composite stock for three to four musket patterns. For example their Brown Bess Models 1756 - 1777 all use the same stock profile and need a lot more work then is one would believe.
I thought that might be the case. Cut about four inches of my 1769 bess . Lock cut out was shaped right.

Hello ALL. Just thought I would pass along my most recent experience with TRS. I've ordered from them many times over the last many years and have always been satisfied with their products. Of course, their customer service can vary greatly as many of you know. It's not bad, it's just often well, non-existent so to say. LOL. So, the story:
Late last year I purchased from a local fellow Forum member a TRS #776, Spanish Light Military Escopeta kit. Everything was there except the stock. Including a TRS assembled lock, that functioned well. I didn't need another Spanish long gun, but with the assembled lock, I couldn't pass it up. So, I thought all I needed to do was order the pre-carved stock (only) from TRS and find someone to assemble it.
So, I called TRS and ordered the stock over the phone. Since TRS (supposedly) does their stock carving in-house now I asked about how long it might be for shipping. To my surprise they mentioned it would be 2-3 weeks to ship.
After a month went by I sent an email just requesting an update. I received an email back saying their stock carver was a "little" behind. But they were cutting stocks the following week and it shouldn't be more than a couple more weeks. I said no problem, I'm good with that. Delays happen. So at this time it's been about 6-8 weeks since ordering. So then, weeks and months went by and still no stock. After many un-returned phone calls and emails, and one fax, still no response. By now I was running out of ideas as to how to get in touch with TRS without having to drive to OKC and renting a car and visiting. LOL So at the middle of last week I sent them a cordial, respectful letter by regular First Class Mail. In the letter I was reminding them of what I was told when first ordering and that by now 7 MONTHS has gone by and I just needed an update of some kind. They would have received my letter by early this week. Well, I now know they at least open their mail. LOL Just this morning, Friday (their ship day) I received an email that the stock is being shipped. YAY !!!!

Moral of the story: If it's not "in-stock", be prepared to wait. Often much longer than you are told or anticipate. Now, I just pray the stock gets here in one piece and everything is cut correctly and fits.

Rick
A friend who is getting out of enacting has an TRS Rifle. I cant' recall the exact model, but it is right for Rev War rifle light inf. impression. If he sells it, it would be reasonable as I know he's let other things go easily. I may buy at that time if price is right. I think he got it years ago from the Rifle Shoppe. It is a rifle not a musket.

A friend who is getting out of enacting has an TRS Rifle. I cant' recall the exact model, but it is right for Rev War rifle light inf. impression. If he sells it, it would be reasonable as I know he's let other things go easily. I may buy at that time if price is right. I think he got it years ago from the Rifle Shoppe. It is a rifle not a musket.
I'd be curious to know what it is. I built two British light inf. rifles years ago for re-enacting friends here in the north east. They were 1776 British Rifles, series 509. Thanks.

I'd be curious to know what it is. I built two British light inf. rifles years ago for re-enacting friends here in the north east. They were 1776 British Rifles, series 509. Thanks.
The 1776 Model. I'll be going over to visit him soon to re-educate myself about it. I saw it once a while back and didn't inquire about it's history and now want to know more as it may come up for sale in a while. (Many enactors are aging and getting out of the hobby. One swap meet I went to, I bought 3 replica Civil War ctg. boxes from retiring troops.)

I don't know what the Series 509 references. ?? Again, I'm learning about these rifles.
The 'series 509' references TRS's parts for that particular rifle. All of their part sets have a series #. This rifle is a very, very involved build. Thanks for the feedback, please keep me posted. I have pics of them both somewhere around here so I'll see if I can find them and put them up. Cheers. Fred

The 'series 509' references TRS's parts for that particular rifle. All of their part sets have a series #. This rifle is a very, very involved build. Thanks for the feedback, please keep me posted. I have pics of them both somewhere around here so I'll see if I can find them and put them up. Cheers. Fred

Swivel, dovetails and barrel keys all tend to me on the more complicated side for this kit. Just remember the rammer spring is between the front and middle thimble and is riveted to both thimbles facing downward away from the rammer channel, not inside toward the rammer channel and the flared rammer tip is meant to be a handle for the heavy loading rod.

I have the blue prints for this kit.

Never liked Bob Lepley’s stocks. He skipped a lot, got an 1803 from him without a rammer hole drilled. At the time I was not set up at all for that task, I only had a small collection of bench tools.
I was very happy with Lepleys stocks if I bought mostly rejects for my own needs I only bought them at Friendship shoots and I had no problem with Fort Hill . they would have to be bad if I couldn't get round whatever defect there might be I bought one that had just 6" of wood from the breach face its now a English 'Turn Off' 50 cal canon muzzle rifle these last thirty years (Never found breech loading that advantageous .) Sure it shot harder but the delay to reload exceeded the normal Muzzle loader . My pet mid 18th English provincial rife was a Lepley stock that came out undersized & the rod hole came out visible . But I wedded it to a taper round swamped 50 cal 26" long brl the entire gun weighs 5 pounds And thusly a joy to carry in these local mountains . The 'Turn off' ran 6 pounds or a bit under But the classic late 'English lock 'carbine was a Vern Davis maple stock that was short & had a crack so he gave it me but it has good figure to its dense hard maple 'I wedded it to one of Orien's short 58 cal barrels marked 'Trash' . & the lock was from Jim Chambers it was just a plate steel & cock and if I remember correctly he gave it me for singing or juggling ( One of them ) as it was hot & dusty and any entertainment was seemingly appreciated . I made it 'English lock 'just for the novelty & I added a small vestidual ' Dog ' rather than the flintlock it was intended to be (His Jager lock)
I 'me a thrifty Yorkshire man never been one to waste anything I couldn't salvage, and am singularly appreciative for the kindness these gentlemen bestowed on me over the years at the Friendship shoots can't leave out Bill Cox of L&R he once gave me a utterly mangled up kit that some botcher wrecked . he gave it to Harrison Rimer of Orion Brl to sell only as separate parts but I soon found all the bits in his junk box but he say 's" I've been given it not to sell as a lock " but Bill said its Ok and it too has had years of service once I sorted its ailments . Well that started out as a defense of Bob ?Lepley and sort of ran on.
But you get that with senile old men called Rudyard , Shades of " They look and they sigh & they say" " Tis the nights of far off Arabia they have stolen his mind away ."
Rambling Rudyard ,

pics to follow
1670809997777.png
1670809979294.png

1670809967222.png

1670809953318.png

1670809930348.png

1670809917514.png

1670809899619.png

1670809887837.png

Last edited:
That piece of nonsensical fun was at a Dixons fair I can't really juggle at all its just humorous BS , Quite why I did it can't recall, Ide keep hold of the stones then explain" I was just learning ". Pure unadulterated nonesense . Should any opine it as silly Ide quote Robert Burns , vis . "My son these maxims make a rule & keep them all together ,The unco godly is a fool the unco wise another . The cleanest corn was ere deit ,may have som piles a caffin , So nere a fellow creature sliet for ramdom fits O daffin . .Pretty hard to translate but it fits . Regards Rudyard

I was very happy with Lepleys stocks if I bought mostly rejects for my own needs I only bought them at Friendship shoots and I had no problem with Fort Hill . they would have to be bad if I couldn't get round whatever defect there might be I bought one that had just 6" of wood from the breach face its now a English 'Turn Off' 50 cal canon muzzle rifle these last thirty years (Never found breech loading that advantageous .) Sure it shot harder but the delay to reload exceeded the normal Muzzle loader . My pet mid 18th English provincial rife was a Lepley stock that came out undersized & the rod hole came out visible . But I wedded it to a taper round swamped 50 cal 26" long brl the entire gun weighs 5 pounds And thusly a joy to carry in these local mountains . The 'Turn off' ran 6 pounds or a bit under But the classic late 'English lock 'carbine was a Vern Davis maple stock that was short & had a crack so he gave it me but it has good figure to its dense hard maple 'I wedded it to one of Orien's short 58 cal barrels marked 'Trash' . & the lock was from Jim Chambers it was just a plate steel & cock and if I remember correctly he gave it me for singing or juggling ( One of them ) as it was hot & dusty and any entertainment was seemingly appreciated . I made it 'English lock 'just for the novelty & I added a small vestidual ' Dog ' rather than the flintlock it was intended to be (His Jager lock)
I 'me a thrifty Yorkshire man never been one to waste anything I couldn't salvage, and am singularly appreciative for the kindness these gentlemen bestowed on me over the years at the Friendship shoots can't leave out Bill Cox of L&R he once gave me a utterly mangled up kit that some botcher wrecked . he gave it to Harrison Rimer of Orion Brl to sell only as separate parts but I soon found all the bits in his junk box but he say 's" I've been given it not to sell as a lock " but Bill said its Ok and it too has had years of service once I sorted its ailments . Well that started out as a defense of Bob ?Lepley and sort of ran on.
But you get that with senile old men called Rudyard , Shades of " They look and they sigh & they say" " Tis the nights of far off Arabia they have stolen his mind away ."
Rambling Rudyard ,
The first inverted pic is the 5 pounds mid 18th C ex Pecatonica reject 50 cal rifle the other one is all my make 45 cal After Felix Werder of Zuric mid 17th c early flintlock, My old hunting bag & related flask & pics the feathers are to seal the vent . Sorry about the inverted pic

second down 5 pound rifle side plate & with view of tool boxes fuzzy 190 cal Baltic piece . then the turn off 50 cal BL rifle from Pecatonica waister . Lastly the unsaleable maple stocked Orien Brl 'Trash' ( It has a 1 in 16" pitch but still shot goats in these mountains) the sling the only time I went with one .The lock plate & parts where from singing for Jim Chambers Note it has no tumbler pin Cock screw if you prefer ,it not being the French flintlock' rather the late 'English lock; style with added dog . Yes Jim Hash wonderful man & outstanding gunmaker, great loss .I had good deals with mould & Gun shop, North Star & many Montana / Orien barrels . Great days I had far too much fun if you can do that?.

Probably not the Baird's Hawkens ' but can't say there not ' mountain rifles '

Back