• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Rifle Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger 1755

32 Cal
Reaction score
Ordered a dog lock fowler components package from the Rifle Shop almost a year and a half ago. After numerous phone calls and promises that it would ship "next week" for 5 months. The box arrived today, really well packed and in great condition. When I opened the box, there was no assembled lock. The invoice said the lock was shipped in "box 2". Is it common practice to ship the lock in a separate box? There seems to have been plenty of room in the box the stock, barrel and other components came in. Really confused and this is starting to wear on my patience. Anybody else have a lock shipped separately from them when a complete package was ordered ?

Thank you everybody for the replies, but since this is a components package isn't just parts anyway?

Just received my SMR kit from Kibler. Lock was billed separate so was not a complete rifle. A complete rifle whether a bunch of parts or assembled is subject to the tax if purchased on one invoice or one payment.

You buy a pedersoli from Dixie or other places and they come ready to shoot...no separate tax.
The Pittman/Robertson Act created this excise tax back in the 1930's IIRC. It is not shown on your invoice as it is paid by the retailer or maker & is just passed on to you through the price of the item. It applies to ALL hunting, fishing, a several other outdoor recreational products. It raises millions of dollars that go toward conservation & animal habitat. Every time a shotgun, rifle, pistol & their ammo, every fishing rod & lure, every bow & arrow is sold the Federal Gov't collects 11% of it's value & I would guess nearly no one realizes it. Just like gasoline, depending on what state you live in, the Federal & State Gov't collects around 50 cents or so in taxes per gallon, but it doesn't show on your receipt either. Governments like to hide their tax collection to avoid rebellion.

Last edited:
I’m all for Pittman/Robertson, but I’m not for the additional $2.50 per gallon Tax on California gas... even though I’m sure it’s all for a good cause!!

Got my Bess from the rifle shop. Packed full of peanuts. Lock was in the same box. Bayonet shipped separately even though there was room for it

Latest posts

Back