• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rarest Joseph Manton Firearm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Larry,
Thanks for sharing that video. It is an exceptional gun by the greatest flintlock gun maker ever. As I understand from reading the actual patent for Manton's gravitating stops, their purpose had nothing to do with preventing the shooter shooting vertically. In fact, having hunted birds a lot with a muzzleloading shotgun, I have no qualms shooting near vertically if it is a proper shot at the moment. The reason for the stops was to prevent an accidental discharge during loading when the barrels are vertical. With a double barrel gun, you are often loading a barrel after the other is loaded so you are over the muzzle of a loaded gun. The gravitating stop was a back up to half cock. In that capacity, it replaced the sliding safety bolt, which you do not see on the Manton example because it is replaced by the automatic safety action of the stops. Many hunters removed the stops because they interfered with shooting at an extreme near vertical angle. They also had to be kept clean to work properly.

dave

I agree with Dave… it’s a safety device, like a grip safety (percussion), for reloading.

If you ever hunted and only fired 1 barrel out of a sxs, then reloaded that barrel and upon ready to prime or cap, realized the other barrel was at full cock while you were reloading - you then can appreciate the gunmakers design of gravity or grip safety.

Last edited:
Back