• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Power of a .54 Round Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Bowers

32 Cal
Reaction score
Yesterday I was fortunate enough to kill a nice buck with my .54 flintlock using a .530 round ball with a .018 patch over 80 grains of Swiss FFG at about 60 yards..

Although I posted the fact I was blessed with success, I neglected to comment on the sheer power displayed by the round ball I shot.

The first photo below depicts how I found the buck - it had been completely flipped over onto its left side (entrance wound on the deer's right side) with its right front forelimb and hoof tangled in it's rack.

The lower photo shows the deer after I moved it to see the entrance would and take a photo with my .54 flintlock on top of the newly killed deer.

The point is the massive display of kinetic energy and knock down power generated by what amounts to an ancient technology.

If any one doubts what a big round ball will do and fairly short range, look at these photos. Absolute killing power, absolute knockdown power, absolute killing speed ... at least within the confines of a 60 yard shot. The ball struck the rear lobes of both lungs and shredded the front portion of the liver. I simply aimed broadside feeling I would hit some vital "innards." Luckily I did. And as they used to say "better lucky than good."

The overarching point I wish to drive home to my fellow big bore round ball hunters is .... feel confident when shooting a big round ball gun at medium to large North American game. If you hit the vitals, its lights out for your prey.

Good luck and good hunting.
IMG_3871.JPG.jpeg
IMG_3868.JPG-2.jpeg

Yes, I agree completely. Put that ball where it needs to go and you're frying backstraps. There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding the effectiveness of a round ball. Many who have never used them will try to tell others that they are no good and will only wound deer. Those of us who have used them within the confines of their effective range know otherwise. Congrats on a nice buck and a clean kill.

Jeff

Dropped a few with the .54 you are correct on the knock down power, I prefer the big bores and this year will use the .62 Christian springs rifle. Is too much for white tails maybe but I feel I owe the animal the least amount of suffering possible. And the big bores do their part as long as you do yours. Nice buck and congrulations only 3 days until I take to the woods with a big bore.

Dropped a few with the .54 you are correct on the knock down power, I prefer the big bores and this year will use the .62 Christian springs rifle. Is too much for white tails maybe but I feel I owe the animal the least amount of suffering possible. And the big bores do their part as long as you do yours. Nice buck and congrulations only 3 days until I take to the woods with a big bore.
I have hunted with the .54 round ball for years, but like you my eyes are not what they used to be, and the cover where I hunt is thick. A mortally wounded deer can still go 100 yards or so, and in the thick cover here that is at least a 1 hour tracking job. I now use a .58 and limit my range to 60 yards. Every deer i have shot with the .58 has dropped within 25' of where it was hit. No more blood tracking for me (I hope).

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to kill a nice buck with my .54 flintlock using a .530 round ball with a .018 patch over 80 grains of Swiss FFG at about 60 yards..

Although I posted the fact I was blessed with success, I neglected to comment on the sheer power displayed by the round ball I shot.

The first photo below depicts how I found the buck - it had been completely flipped over onto its left side (entrance wound on the deer's right side) with its right front forelimb and hoof tangled in it's rack.

The lower photo shows the deer after I moved it to see the entrance would and take a photo with my .54 flintlock on top of the newly killed deer.

The point is the massive display of kinetic energy and knock down power generated by what amounts to an ancient technology.

If any one doubts what a big round ball will do and fairly short range, look at these photos. Absolute killing power, absolute knockdown power, absolute killing speed ... at least within the confines of a 60 yard shot. The ball struck the rear lobes of both lungs and shredded the front portion of the liver. I simply aimed broadside feeling I would hit some vital "innards." Luckily I did. And as they used to say "better lucky than good."

The overarching point I wish to drive home to my fellow big bore round ball hunters is .... feel confident when shooting a big round ball gun at medium to large North American game. If you hit the vitals, its lights out for your prey.

Good luck and good hunting.View attachment 46976View attachment 46977
Good shot, good post. oh ... and nice buck. Polecat

As I noted, such a shot with a 230 grain .530 roundball on a fair size buck is simply hell. I was lucky with my shot - clipped The rear lobes of both lungs, knocking the breath out of it which the buck could not regain and atomized the front of the liver. In old Army terms, it was a “catastrophic kill” which in hunting parlance, I believe means a quick, humane kill. The buck was knocked stern over stem and really never knew what hit it.

I too, always use my 54 cal for deer hunting. Absolute power. The deer I’ve taken have never made more than 1 or 2 steps after being hit with a 54 round ball. Nice buck,

The .54 is an awesome caliber and has become my favorite for deer. Of course, it doesn't take a .54 to kill a deer, but with my poor color vision in the red spectrum, I need all the blood I can get if I have to trail and the .54 PRB provides all of that. :thumb:
I was never any good tracking blood for that very reason too. Unless it’s obvious

I have hunted with a .54 same 80 grains of powder as you used only a different brand and know it will flatten just about anything that walks, maybe not an elephant! People hear someone make a statement that they didn't know what they were talking about and take it as the gospel this confuses a lot of first timers making it hard for them to enjoy muzzle loading shooting. There is nothing wrong with giving others information but be careful who you believe. There are a lot of arm chair professionals that may not even own a muzzle loading weapon?

my load this year is a 535 dia round ball with a 18ths patch and 75 gr of 3f should do the job if i can hit one...

My avatar photo is the result of a .54 RB load nearly identical to what the OP used. In my case the rifle is a Lyman percussion GPR. Barely over 50 yards in thick cover, the buck dropped quickly enough one of the hind feet was still in it's track. What I originally thought was a thumb-size exit wound turned out to be where bone shards had been blown through the hide. The RB had caromed around inside for awhile and came to rest against the far side of the rib cage.

I have hunted with a .54 same 80 grains of powder as you used only a different brand and know it will flatten just about anything that walks, maybe not an elephant! People hear someone make a statement that they didn't know what they were talking about and take it as the gospel this confuses a lot of first timers making it hard for them to enjoy muzzle loading shooting. There is nothing wrong with giving others information but be careful who you believe. There are a lot of arm chair professionals that may not even own a muzzle loading weapon?
I had a guy tell me one time when he asked me how much powder I was using, that 80 grains of ffg was a " target load". To which I replied "youre right, and my targets are deer". He didnt know how to respond.

Ive had other people also tell me that less than 100 grains is too weak for a hunting load. That statement just gives away their ignorance. I dont even bother trying to educate them anymore because theyre idiots and wont listen to reason anyway.

Back