• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the perfect after cleaning bore oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not after the bore is clean. Other methods have left brown patches a few days later. When I use Ballistol, I can check the bore a few days later, and the patches come out clean. How much are you diluting the Ballistol?
My first purchase of Ballistol years ago was a combination package. A large can of straight oil and a smaller aerosol one. The straight oil is much thicker than the aerosol. I still have the big can but have gone through perhaps 10 aerosol ones. I use the straight stiff to make moose milk or just apply to cloths as wipe downs.
Perhaps #Rifleman 1776 used the straight stuff.
Which brings me around to, I thought petroleum based oils was a no no with black powder as it reacted with black powder fouling.

WHUG I do the same, makes fine Moose milk, and I keep a tack cloth in a bag and wide down everything! Tried it on the wife but she said it smells !!!!!!!!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂

My first purchase of Ballistol years ago was a combination package. A large can of straight oil and a smaller aerosol one. The straight oil is much thicker than the aerosol. I still have the big can but have gone through perhaps 10 aerosol ones. I use the straight stiff to make moose milk or just apply to cloths as wipe downs.
Perhaps #Rifleman 1776 used the straight stuff.
Which brings me around to, I thought petroleum based oils was a no no with black powder as it reacted with black powder fouling.
Ballistol is pharmaceutical grade mineral oil with anise (where the smell comes from), and a few other ingredients. The German army used it to clean their guns, and I understand to also treat minor wounds.
On a note: I've never had Ballistol gum up anything. I use it on my spinning rods full strength. It is not harmful to aquatic life.

Uses - Ballistol

Last edited:
Ballistol is pharmaceutical grade mineral oil with anise (where the smell comes from), and a few other ingredients. The German army used it to clean their guns, and I understand to also treat minor wounds.
On a note: I've never had Ballistol gum up anything. I use it on my spinning rods full strength. It is not harmful to aquatic life.

Uses - Ballistol
My basement is finished with an open stair way to the kitchen area. After cleaning the percussion revolvers that “aroma” wafts up the stairs. Can’t say it smells like licorice, it. grows on one however.

My basement is finished with an open stair way to the kitchen area. After cleaning the percussion revolvers that “aroma” wafts up the stairs. Can’t say it smells like licorice, it. grows on one however.
I remember when I was a little kid, my dad gave me a licorice stick. I almost puked! When eating jelly beans today, I sort out the licorice flavored ones. Licorice doesn't smell as bad as it tastes, at least to me.
I do think that BP fouling + the anise smell combined takes getting used to.

You are absolute right, they used it from 1905-1945 has been a stable in Europe since.

Not after the bore is clean. Other methods have left brown patches a few days later. When I use Ballistol, I can check the bore a few days later, and the patches come out clean. How much are you diluting the Ballistol?
I'm not diluting it at all. I dip the end of my bore mop in the neat product then run it down the bore to coat it

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil as an air tool oil, top engine oil and mixed with engine oil. I have never had an issue with it and think it's a great product. I bought a 76 Bonneville that hadn't been run in 10 years, pulled the plugs and poured a slug of MMO in each cylinder. Grabbed the kick starter and gently turned the engine over. I could feel it turning easier after 1 revolution. I never though of using it on a gun but the next time I have to clean one (cartridge or ML) I intend to try it.

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil as an air tool oil, top engine oil and mixed with engine oil. I have never had an issue with it and think it's a great product. I bought a 76 Bonneville that hadn't been run in 10 years, pulled the plugs and poured a slug of MMO in each cylinder. Grabbed the kick starter and gently turned the engine over. I could feel it turning easier after 1 revolution. I never though of using it on a gun but the next time I have to clean one (cartridge or ML) I intend to try it.

Yeah . . . .it’s my “go-to” air tool oil also . . . .

Also mixed it in gasoline for the Mustang to assist in upper cylinder lubrication.

Dad used the entire kit in his Packard (had the old glass bottle mounted on the firewall).

All-round “good stuff.”

Yeah . . . .it’s my “go-to” air tool oil also . . . .

Also mixed it in gasoline for the Mustang to assist in upper cylinder lubrication.

Dad used the entire kit in his Packard (had the old glass bottle mounted on the firewall).

All-round “good stuff.”

Wow! I had totally forgotten about those. 😮 I usually add some to the gas for the old Jeep I use to plow snow and pull stumps.

needed some air Nailer/tool oil so asked the bride to pick some up at the local hardware when she went to town. have used Marvel mystery air tool oil for years. showed her the little black and red bottle. took a picture of it with her phone. wrote it down.
when she got home and handed me a quart bottle that looked like red mountain vin rose' i just sighed and said thanks
anyway it was sitting there when i cleaned two flintlocks.
after using the steam cleaner i swabbed out the bore with a dry patch and it showed the usually brown from flash rust.
swabbed with a patch saturated in the Marvels Mystery oil that i now have a quart of.
that was day before yesterday. ran a swab on both today and it came out vin rose'! no rust. going to test some more. hate the rust stain on dry patches after cleaning.
just an observation .
The best oil is what you use
I’ve used mink oil, lard, barristol, ‘gun oil’ whale oil when I had it, tranny oil, wd-40, deer tallow….
What works is a clean gun and keeping it that way

The best oil is what you use
I’ve used mink oil, lard, barristol, ‘gun oil’ whale oil when I had it, tranny oil, wd-40, deer tallow….
What works is a clean gun and keeping it that way
exactly what i meant when i started this post. carry on everybody. may get to a stuck ball page count yet! :D

Flash rusting ??? you wont get this if you clean with lukewarm or cool water.
you can use cold water if you please. me? at 24* in my shop while i am cleaning muzzleloaders i will use what i have used for 6 decades. Hot water. in the form of steam. besides i can skip a shower afterwards, :D if i don't pay attention to the tube i run up the spout!

you can use cold water if you please. me? at 24* in my shop while i am cleaning muzzleloaders i will use what i have used for 6 decades. Hot water. in the form of steam. besides i can skip a shower afterwards, :D if i don't pay attention to the tube i run up the spout!
If you love them bring them in. lol

i do love them and they sleep in my closet next to the bed. BUT the war department don't tolerate the smell of blackpowder being cleaned up in the house. worst is she HATES the smell of ballistol!
but she is warmer to sleep with than my muzzleloaders are so i give her a pass.
Switch to olive oil or 3-1 or, Their funny that way but if they really loved you. lol

Back