• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the perfect after cleaning bore oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
needed some air Nailer/tool oil so asked the bride to pick some up at the local hardware when she went to town. have used Marvel mystery air tool oil for years. showed her the little black and red bottle. took a picture of it with her phone. wrote it down.
when she got home and handed me a quart bottle that looked like red mountain vin rose' i just sighed and said thanks
anyway it was sitting there when i cleaned two flintlocks.
after using the steam cleaner i swabbed out the bore with a dry patch and it showed the usually brown from flash rust.
swabbed with a patch saturated in the Marvels Mystery oil that i now have a quart of.
that was day before yesterday. ran a swab on both today and it came out vin rose'! no rust. going to test some more. hate the rust stain on dry patches after cleaning.
just an observation .

I use 3-in-1 oil in the bore, vaseline for the lock. They're cheap and the dont go rancid. I rub the outside of non moving parts in paraffin or bees wax and buff it, holds up better than oil

Before someone goes off a cliff...no, they don't turn into a magical La Brea Tarpit.

It gums up the works sumptin' fierce in my guns. I won't use. Barricade is now my choice for bore protection.
Interesting. I have to stop and think about that one. I guess I've just never noticed because of all the flawless applications from my personal experience. I guess the German military should have never used Ballistol. Hmmm.... Oh yeah, tell Hickok45 it's bad stuff!

Last edited:
I am a big fan of 3-in-one oil and have been using it for a long time. I've also used Ballistol and it works too.

I use pawpaw seed oil that is crushed between the breasts of virgins, you know how hard it is to find a virgin with breasts?
especially breasts firm enough to crush Pawpaw seeds!
blame my wife for this thread, if she had got the right stuff i would have never tried MMO. didn't intend to start another brawl!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 22
Do you find it comes out with a dark brown colour on a clean patch ? I've only just started using it and I do
Not after the bore is clean. Other methods have left brown patches a few days later. When I use Ballistol, I can check the bore a few days later, and the patches come out clean. How much are you diluting the Ballistol?

Not after the bore is clean. Other methods have left brown patches a few days later. When I use Ballistol, I can check the bore a few days later, and the patches come out clean. How much are you diluting the Ballistol? I don't dilute at all for the final swipes.

I am a big fan of 3-in-one oil and have been using it for a long time. I've also used Ballistol and it works too.
I also use 3-in- oil in the shop, I found a finish sander in the junk pile took it home plugged it in and it just hummed, cleaned out the mechanize with WD- 40 and then oiled it with 3-in- and it runs like a new one,
BTW 3-in-1 is now owned by WD40 company.

Back