• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Percussion Duck Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, using lead balls to a pound weight is a gauging method.
A bore is a hole.
The bore dimensions of a 12g is nominally .729" but can vary from .710"-.740".
That is why the term guage should be used and not bore.

Wait, YOU GUYS taught US it was referred to as "bore". See The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles by Captain James Forsyth, British Army, India 1867

Today..., you guys tell us,

It's a spanner, not a wrench
It's a bonnet, not a hood,
It's a boot, not a trunk,
It's a wagon, not a train-car,
It's a lift, not an elevator,
It's a pram, not a baby-carriage,
It's a bumpershoot, not an umbrella,
It's a wireless, not a radio,
It's vit-a-mins, not vite-a-mins
It's al-loo-min-ee-um, not al-loom-in-um,
It's la-bor-a-tory, not lab-ra-tory,
It's a lavatory or a loo, not a restroom

EGAD!

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Exactly, using lead balls to a pound weight is a gauging method.
A bore is a hole.
The bore dimensions of a 12g is nominally .729" but can vary from .710"-.740".
That is why the term guage should be used and not bore.

Wait, YOU GUYS taught US it was referred to as "bore". See The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles by Captain James Forsyth, British Army, India 1867

Today..., you guys tell us,

It's a spanner, not a wrench
It's a bonnet, not a hood,
It's a boot, not a trunk,
It's a wagon, not a train-car,
It's a lift, not an elevator,
It's a pram, not a baby-carriage,
It's a bumpershoot, not an umbrella,
It's a wireless, not a radio,
It's vit-a-mins, not vite-a-mins
It's al-loo-min-ee-um, not al-loom-in-um,
It's la-bor-a-tory, not lab-ra-tory,
It's a lavatory or a loo, not a restroom

EGAD!

LD
Yes but no but.....a gauge is a gauge and a bore a bore, on both side of the cold pond.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-motorola&ei=vkQZW6-vBYrOgAbjw5nYCw&q=gauge+meaning&oq=gauge&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i67i70i249j0i67l3j0.2478.4645..6166...2....146.551.3j2......0....1.......3..35i39j0i131i67.colyfaCjks4%3D
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/bore

B.

Last edited by a moderator:
We Brits use lots of American words, such as lengthy, reliable, talented, influential and tremendous :thumbsup:

Ah but your objection is for general English, and we are conversing in sporting parlance, :grin: thus:

Therefore the larges gauge* of rifle, consistent with the weight in each class should be used”¦.,
..., It is found in practice that for killing ordinary beasts of chase, such as deer of all sorts, no ball of less diameter than about 16 gauge is to be depended on.
”¢ “Gauge”, in reference to sporting rifles, means the number of spherical leaden bullets, fitting the barrel, that go to the pound. Thus the Enfield rifle, in sporting parlance, described as 24-gauge, because 24 round bullets fitting it would weight one pound.

”¦, The quantity of game in these [Indian] jungles, consisting of spotted and hog deer, bara-singah, neilgae, pigs, leopards, and tigers, ”¦,
”¦., I was then armed with a beautiful little 36-bore double rifle, carrying a conical ball of about 19 to the pound, a double smooth bore No.14 [bore], another No. 8 [bore], and a two-grooved double rifle No.12[bore], -forming a somewhat disorderly battery I confess. The experience of some five months of this forest-shooting convinced me that, while the 36 bore was utterly useless, ”¦., the 14 bore was large enough for most of the above animals; ”¦.,

Captain James Forsyth, British Army, India, The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles. 1867 London.

You will note that in "sporting parlance" the learned gentleman interchanges the term "gauge" and "bore".

par·lance
noun
-a particular way of speaking or using words, especially a way common to those with a particular job or interest.

:blah:

LD

I thought this thread was the percussion duck gun lets keep it that way .If you wish to discuss bore, gauge, and the English or American language may I suggest, start another thread not been ill mannered or snobbish.
Feltwad

Here's a word for your lexicon. Cripple Gun.

I was fortunate long ago to know a couple of ancient characters who had hunted with their dads and granddads from sink boats and scull boats using punt guns for market hunts. In their hands 10 gauges were "cripple guns" for taking birds on the water wounded by the punt guns, with cripples usually accounting for the vast majority of birds taken. Their 12 gauges were fun guns not considered worthy of rides in the boats.

Loyalist Dave said:
Ah but your objection is for general English, and we are conversing in sporting parlance, :grin: thus:

Therefore the larges gauge* of rifle, consistent with the weight in each class should be used”¦.,
..., It is found in practice that for killing ordinary beasts of chase, such as deer of all sorts, no ball of less diameter than about 16 gauge is to be depended on.
”¢ “Gauge”, in reference to sporting rifles, means the number of spherical leaden bullets, fitting the barrel, that go to the pound. Thus the Enfield rifle, in sporting parlance, described as 24-gauge, because 24 round bullets fitting it would weight one pound.

”¦, The quantity of game in these [Indian] jungles, consisting of spotted and hog deer, bara-singah, neilgae, pigs, leopards, and tigers, ”¦,
”¦., I was then armed with a beautiful little 36-bore double rifle, carrying a conical ball of about 19 to the pound, a double smooth bore No.14 [bore], another No. 8 [bore], and a two-grooved double rifle No.12[bore], -forming a somewhat disorderly battery I confess. The experience of some five months of this forest-shooting convinced me that, while the 36 bore was utterly useless, ”¦., the 14 bore was large enough for most of the above animals; ”¦.,

Captain James Forsyth, British Army, India, The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles. 1867 London.

You will note that in "sporting parlance" the learned gentleman interchanges the term "gauge" and "bore".

par·lance
noun
-a particular way of speaking or using words, especially a way common to those with a particular job or interest.

:blah:

LD
So they got it wrong too :doh:

B :dead:

Feltwad said:
I thought this thread was the percussion duck gun lets keep it that way .If you wish to discuss bore, gauge, and the English or American language may I suggest, start another thread not been ill mannered or snobbish.
Feltwad
Hang on sunshine, you sir have hijacked threads by others yourself!
What goes around feltwad......

B :haha:

BrownBear said:
Here's a word for your lexicon. Cripple Gun.

I was fortunate long ago to know a couple of ancient characters who had hunted with their dads and granddads from sink boats and scull boats using punt guns for market hunts. In their hands 10 gauges were "cripple guns" for taking birds on the water wounded by the punt guns, with cripples usually accounting for the vast majority of birds taken. Their 12 gauges were fun guns not considered worthy of rides in the boats.
Here in the UK the Victorian Punt Gunner always carried a sxs percussion gun most were 12 BORE and known has Cripple Stoppers
Feltwad
The Standard Type of percussion used has a cripple stopper

Grand set of cripple stoppers there Feltwad.

My grandfather used his 12 bore as a cripple stopper on the Wash.

Re bending upwards of the barrel towards the muzzle;
The longer a barrel is, the lower it will shoot, so a good few long barrels were bent upwards a little to alleviate this problem.

I have a 16 bore with 44" barrel bent upwards in this manner.
Thank you again G, for showing these fine examples!
The Smythe I have I Think has a different address to the one you mention. I'll have a look & see.
He had by this time a shop at Darlington as well as Stockton.

All the best,
Richard.

RJDH said:
Grand set of cripple stoppers there Feltwad.

My grandfather used his 12 bore as a cripple stopper on the Wash.

Re bending upwards of the barrel towards the muzzle;
The longer a barrel is, the lower it will shoot, so a good few long barrels were bent upwards a little to alleviate this problem.

I have a 16 bore with 44" barrel bent upwards in this manner.
Thank you again G, for showing these fine examples!
The Smythe I have I Think has a different address to the one you mention. I'll have a look & see.
He had by this time a shop at Darlington as well as Stockton.

All the best,
Richard.
At one time he had three shops at the same time the first at Darlington , then Stockton and Middlesborough . He was known has gun maker of the North.
Feltwad

Good morning Feltwad,

Thank you on the shops. When he made the double my grandfather was given, he only had the two premises.

Old William R. Pape was also a first rate maker "In the North".

Your cripple stoppers or otherwise lighter sporting guns;
Can you show us some detail of the one second from left in your last photo?.....The one that is a flint conversion ?
They all look lovely old guns though!

RJDH said:
Good morning Feltwad,

Thank you on the shops. When he made the double my grandfather was given, he only had the two premises.

Old William R. Pape was also a first rate maker "In the North".

Your cripple stoppers or otherwise lighter sporting guns;
Can you show us some detail of the one second from left in your last photo?.....The one that is a flint conversion ?
They all look lovely old guns though!
The second gun was has you said a flintlock conversion by Hind gun maker. I know I did a full restoration on this gun it was a sleeper and in poor condition ,I have moved this gun on about 15 years ago but did take some photos .see enclosed

Everything wrote about W.R.Pape has a gunmaker is not true
Feltwad
Hind Conversion

By Gum, Feltwad, You have done a lovely job on it!
It looked a bit sad for a start didn't it?

Had you re-laid many ribs before you tackled this one? I have a couple to do at present, but singles thankfully! Just did a double a few weeks ago.
By the lock and stock, I'd guess this one you show would be around 1810 -15 maybe?
Interesting that it had proper new breeches fitted when converted. Always better than drums and nipples.
I know Pape made some good guns, but think Tho's Horsely made some of the best up there.

Thanks for the photos Old Pal!

Richard.

RJDH said:
By Gum, Feltwad, You have done a lovely job on it!
It looked a bit sad for a start didn't it?

Had you re-laid many ribs before you tackled this one? I have a couple to do at present, but singles thankfully! Just did a double a few weeks ago.
By the lock and stock, I'd guess this one you show would be around 1810 -15 maybe?
Interesting that it had proper new breeches fitted when converted. Always better than drums and nipples.
I know Pape made some good guns, but think Tho's Horsely made some of the best up there.

Thanks for the photos Old Pal!

Richard.
Yes I have done quite a number the first one I remember was in the 1970,s and was a Wallas of Hexham
Feltwad

Back