• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The other horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you can see the trumpet mouthpiece as it was carved on my horn.

I have a few other horn objects, the cup, the container and a sugar storage horn. I have smaller horns for salt and pepper.

1605206841692.png

I still haven't decided whether to make a "tooting horn" or turn this old horn into a powder horn. But I'm making a plug for it in
20201119_205157.jpg
case I do. I don't really need another powderhorn but I'll never own a pack of hound dogs either. Decisions?

I've decided to drill a small hole in the center of the plug and have a leather loop sticking out. Simplicity! I can attach the strap to this, if I decide to make the old horn into a powderhorn instead of a blowing horn. Also I've noticed alot of horn makers have a large staple in the plug to attach the strap to. If I go the "staple route" is the staple also a home made item? Copper, brass?

Eutycus............Never seen any but iron staples on horns. Tiny , as in 1/4 " staples , can be found in the picture hanging area of hobby stores. Larger staples can be made from electrical staples pounded square . Not the shape of the staple but the wire it's made from. Don.t have evidence of round diameter wire during times when powder horns were used. For instance , there weren't any round wire nails in powder horn days , only square cut nails. Thomas Jefferson had a nail making shop on his plantation. Also , if a wide , say one inch strap is needed , use a round nail and pound the wire square , and bend. hope this helps.......oldwood

when I was a kid I grew up coon hunting here in SC in fact my baby book says the first sentence I spoke was "I want to go coon hunting" LOL my daddy had treeing hound dogs and hunted like his life depended on it. i remember he had a couple of horns to blow to bring back the dogs if they got lost,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back