• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The older I get, the slower I've got !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm your new humble servant. I put steel guitar for my name but that's just what I play. Anyway, The older I get, the slower I've got !
Meaning, back in my younger days I shot things that shot fast; combat pistol games, high power rifle. Then a little older it was SASS where I started charcoal burning. It started with percussions, then much later rocklocks, then smoothbores. I was headed towards arrows and rocks but something got my attention. The smell, well you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm into target percussions now with all of them sights for us with bad eyes.
Thanks for your support!

I may be old, but i'm slow! Been off forum for a good few months, buying and moving into a new home, taking care of my cats and Service Dog, etc., etc., etc!
And I don't know what the heck "caliber" I am. Guess I'll find out soon.

Hello All,
I'm your new humble servant. I put steel guitar for my name but that's just what I play. Anyway, The older I get, the slower I've got !
Meaning, back in my younger days I shot things that shot fast; combat pistol games, high power rifle. Then a little older it was SASS where I started charcoal burning. It started with percussions, then much later rocklocks, then smoothbores. I was headed towards arrows and rocks but something got my attention. The smell, well you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm into target percussions now with all of them sights for us with bad eyes.
Thanks for your support!
Yep, I started out with bottle caps then jar lids; moved up to churn lids then man hole covers, purple man bad and aliens don't wear hats, LOL! Boss said he was 4 men 4 years behind; mom said the faster she go the behinder she get! When all is said and done, more is said than done! Glad you can slow down and focus on the stuff that matters, the Fragrance! I tell 'em 'tease me about my age and I'll beat you with my cane!' My brother said when he was in the Marines they told him it wasn't the years, it was the miles!

Last edited:
Speed is the device of Satan.
I think many of us waked your shoes. Mine came early, seventeen for me, but after shooting black breechloaders were just not fun.

Can't find that damned plug in gizmo for my portable skill saw which I need to open up the barrel channel of my matchlock blank. I -Know- Yo que Se- I left that beauty in the little corner of the living room by the wood stove where I 'fettle' (new English word for me, LOL!) on small projects. Gone, no note, no forwarding address, Gonzo! This happens with disturbing frequency the older I get, and I can't take this abuse any longer!

Wow, thanks all. Being from Tejas myself I see that all of "yall" are my agigos. I've worked up north and find those people to be very friendly as long as I don't say, things in Texas are bigger and better" because I saw that in many cases, it aint true and have many northern friends. Now, I'm a retire physics and chemistry teacher so to get technical the real blackpowder we shoot releases the energy from the charcoal, hench, a charcoal burner. So we are really using Past Solar energy (the wood) to make our smokepoles go boom. Cheers to all.

Wow, thanks all. Being from Tejas myself I see that all of "yall" are my agigos. I've worked up north and find those people to be very friendly as long as I don't say, things in Texas are bigger and better" because I saw that in many cases, it aint true and have many northern friends. Now, I'm a retire physics and chemistry teacher so to get technical the real blackpowder we shoot releases the energy from the charcoal, hench, a charcoal burner. So we are really using Past Solar energy (the wood) to make our smokepoles go boom. Cheers to all.
Solar! Does that out weigh the smoke we clog up the ozone with? And how does it stack up to cow farts? Are we safe from the environmental (heavy on the mental) Police? LOL!

Treestalker your sarcasm is so funny to me. Not to correct up but only to say something funny, it's not cow farts but cow burps (rudament, 4 stomaches) is the reason for much carbon dioxide exspelled (sarcasum, don't you love my spelling) from cows. It like them, medium rare!

The brain is a computer. When you get older you have a huge
number of memory files to consult. Older people decide more
carefully and appear slower. It is not always the case that
older is slower. Careful consideration results in wisdom.

Why rush, the journey is just as important as the destination. I've learned to slow down and enjoy what I do instead of going balls to the wall and finishing a fun task too soon. I think the only time I'll run any more is if the old homestead catches on fire and I gotta get out. Let the youth do the anxiety and the running.

The brain is a computer. When you get older you have a huge
number of memory files to consult. Older people decide more
carefully and appear slower. It is not always the case that
older is slower. Careful consideration results in wisdom.
I used that very logic on a friend my age (70) who was worried about their clutch slipping a bit, told them they're fine. My clutch on the other hand has slipped since birth 😅

Back