• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The oddest camp meal you've ever had?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
In light of another thread regarding camp meals, I figured I'd change the idea a little. So what's the oddest meal you've had around a fire, good or bad?

I'll get it started:

Mine was at one of my first events, was around 14 years old at the time. My uncle cooked and served a surprise, and of course wouldn't say what it was unless we tried it.

Ostrich meat. Was surprisingly good actually. A little tough, but good flavor from what I remember.

So what about you guys and gals...

Fried bobcat.
Cut up in bite-sized pieces and fried in a skillet over the fire. It was delicious. Sorta reminded me of pork chops.

Man there would be a mental aspect to that if I knew what it was. Wonder if a younger cat would be more, let's say, palatable?

Did try to 'eat what I trapped' one year. I could not get a opossum to the pot. Beaver and coon is good, muskrat eatible but none too tasty. Bobcats is good, fox is not.
My straingest was hunting with a friend who thought wood peckers were wild pidgens. We had been dove hunting and were frying our catch up. He had about a half a dozen to add to the skillet. I had three dove and a another friend had five. We deboned them and cooked them in cream of mushroom soup. I could not tell the wood pecker from the dove.

About 30 years ago give or take a few. I was camped at one of the Virginia primitives held on Massanutten Mt. a Rattle snake made the mistake of crawling in to camp! In short order it was dispatched and became part of dinner and it did taste just like chicken :grin:

Mike

Dog.

Yep. Well what I and a group were served we were told was dog. Didn't phase me, but made a couple of the young women who were served it go green. I didn't see the animal go from fido to fillet so can't testify the cook was telling the truth, but he did have a raw skin with hair on to display as proof....

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Dog.

Yep. Well what I and a group were served we were told was dog. Didn't phase me, but made a couple of the young women who were served it go green. I didn't see the animal go from fido to fillet so can't testify the cook was telling the truth, but he did have a raw skin with hair on to display as proof....

LD

It's funny but while I'll eat dang near anything, dog is on my vary short list. I had a guy that thought it was funny to say he had added road killed dog to the pot, I was 19-20 I tried to convince him I wanted the truth but kept kidding back and forth yes it was no it isn't yes it is. So I helped him take it more serious and he convinced me it was raccoon from the freezer, and I let him up. We didn't talk much for a year or so...

Loyalist Dave said:
Dog.

LD

Funny you should mention this, as I had the mostly unfortunate situation on tasting dog back in the late 70's at a Lakota Pow Wow on the Rosebud Reservation. A small group of us from a primitive free trapper organization that I belong to were invited to start a round dance and were expected to partake in the feast afterwards. Yes, it was young puppy as we saw it hanging by it's feet before the feast, then butchered and then cooked in a pot. I could only eat a small piece before sneaking off to an area to loose my cookies. :barf: Tasted and smelled like a wet dog!.....yuck!

Years back, went deep sea fishing on a Thursday and caught a 70 lb tuna. Was at a weekend rendezvous that next evening, making fresh tuna steaks on a camp fire.

Burro, and I don't mean like a bean burro. A couple of guys we met on the trail invited me and my friend to have some "veal" steaks with them. He said the local rancher had given a calf to them that had been cut up past saving in barbed wire. He was packing a train of burros and after we ate he told us it was actually a young burro they had sacrificed for camp meat. It was fine eating. I'd have trouble putting one down to eat, I think, but I didn't have any trouble eating it.

So, did you hear about the guy who was arrested for killing and eating a Spotted Owl?

The man's lawyer told the court he was hard up and didn't know what he was doing, and he would certainly promise never to do it again. After he pled indigence and ignorance the judge let him off, thinking a man who was hungry and didn't know the Spotted Owl was an endangered species shouldn't be held accountable for his misdeed. On a last thought, though, as the man was leaving the courtroom, curiosity got the best of the judge and he asked the man, "Since we will never hear of such a case again, would you please tell the court, What does Spotted Owl taste like.

The man, without hesitation answered back:

"Bald Eagle."

In my family and friends circle, I'm known as the guy who eats "weird ****". Although my rating depends on the rater, I do like most things and will always give a food a fair first trial......but, my mentality does draw the line at felines and canines.....unless I was marooned and that was all that was available. Even then it would be difficult......Fred

"Most "vegan" food I probably eat everyday.....what I wouldn't eat are the oddball, gas producing concoctions that many vegan's create so as to have a well rounded diet.

Heck....w/ my present meals, I'm a vegetarian 80% and only 20% a meat eater.....so I side w/ the vegans more than the carnivores. Isn't there an active Vegan political party?......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Back