• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Mountain Men movie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I just might have to watch it again tonight. First time I watched it was back in the 80's on a video disk player that I repaired for a friend of mine. How many people remember those?

Do tell, what movies??
I don't know if you remember the series "Touched by an Angel" with John Dye, Roma Downey and Della Reese? They filmed a lot of them here in Utah and I got to play the part of a banjo player in the bar when John Wilkes Booth got liquored up before he went to the Ford theater. I was actually cast as an actor and received Screen Actor Guild wages. Most of my body shots ended up on the cutting room floor, but they dubbed a lot of my banjo music throughout. I had my own trailer on set and got to eat and rub shoulders with the main cast. John Dye and Roma Downey were really nice. Della Reese was a monster at times. That episode was called "Beautiful Dreamer." We did another couple for them as well. I don't remember what they were called. One was a grave digging scene around the Civil War and the other we were dressed in Rev War clothing. They let us purchase a lot of the extra props after the filming, I picked up a Civil War Hardee hat made by Jarnegans and a Navy Arms 1803 harpers ferry rifle. Those weren't period during the Revolution, but at least they got the flint lock right. Everything was about half price or less if I remember correctly.

I don't know if you remember the series "Touched by an Angel" with John Dye, Roma Downey and Della Reese? They filmed a lot of them here in Utah and I got to play the part of a banjo player in the bar when John Wilkes Booth got liquored up before he went to the Ford theater. I was actually cast as an actor and received Screen Actor Guild wages. Most of my body shots ended up on the cutting room floor, but they dubbed a lot of my banjo music throughout. I had my own trailer on set and got to eat and rub shoulders with the main cast. John Dye and Roma Downey were really nice. Della Reese was a monster at times. That episode was called "Beautiful Dreamer." We did another couple for them as well. I don't remember what they were called. One was a grave digging scene around the Civil War and the other we were dressed in Rev War clothing. They let us purchase a lot of the extra props after the filming, I picked up a Civil War Hardee hat made by Jarnegans and a Navy Arms 1803 harpers ferry rifle. Those weren't period during the Revolution, but at least they got the flint lock right. Everything was about half price or less if I remember correctly.
Wow, what an experience. Thanks so much for sharing that. I definitely remember "Touched by an Angel", my wife never missed it. She might even have some of those on VHS. She used to record them off the TV. She's at her Moms right now, but as soon as she gets home I'll see if she still has those. I've always wanted to play the banjo but unfortunately I can't carry a tune in a bucket. I only learned to play the radio!

It would be hard to remake. Kieth and Heston was a good match it would be hard to duplicate.
Grumpy old men, man who would be king or Lethal Weapon would be hard movies to duplicate.
I liked both versions of True Grit, but so many seem upset by the remake
We’ve leaned a lot about real mountain man life since then.... but I miss Bill Tyler

You're right, griffiga. It was fun. Some of the things I will always remember, and that made the whole thing fun was that Charlton Heston ate the raw egg without complaint when he missed his shot, and when Victoria stuck the tomahawk the first time, she jumped up and down and clapped her hands like a little kid. You hear stories about Hollywood people sometimes, but she was a real lady.

I thoroughly enjoyed that movie as well. My wife thinks there are too many "bad" words in it though. Did y'all know it was written by the same litte boy that floated down the Nile as baby Moses in 10 Commandments. Charlton Heston's son Fraser.

Missed out being an extra in that move. Many members of our local muzzleloader club and the Wyoming Mountain men did get to be extras in the movie. Great movie!

It would be hard to remake. Kieth and Heston was a good match it would be hard to duplicate.
Grumpy old men, man who would be king or Lethal Weapon would be hard movies to duplicate.
I liked both versions of True Grit, but so many seem upset by the remake
We’ve leaned a lot about real mountain man life since then.... but I miss Bill Tyler
Sad but true, they don't make many good old movies like that anymore. Every once in a blue moon. I did like the last version of True Grit but John Wayne was good, even though you had to overlook some inaccuracies like the 92 Winchester he used coming out of the Civil War. I just re watched The Patriot with Mel Gibson over the weekend, it does a decent job although he seems to be superhuman at times. Gettysburg is another I can watch over and over. The 20th Maine was one of my favorite regiments along with the 81st Penn and 5th NH.

I think as long as Fraser Heston is around or has any say so, there will be no remakes of the Mountain Men movie. "Daddy" did it best. And I agree.

In some movies, Jeremiah Johnson and Revenant for example, I always see these guys spending a lot of time in the water in winter. I would think that you would avoid getting soaked at all costs. Makes good movie stuff though. :)
One scene in the Revenant makes me laugh. was when he is tired cold and hungry and goes off the cliff with his horse. Horse dies, he guts it and climbs inside for the warmth.
next morning he jumps out dresses hungry still and leaves best part of a thousand pounds of meat unused

Mountain Men was a great movie. I now will have to watch it again morrow. My buddy was the armorer for the Revenant... The film industry needs to make more humorous and HC Fur trade and 18th century films.

Can you just imagine the budget it would take? Especially in the clothing and prop departments.And who would star in it? I don't know too many of these newer "matinee idols" of today.

Last edited:
Mountain Men was a great movie. I now will have to watch it again morrow. My buddy was the armorer for the Revenant... The film industry needs to make more humorous and HC Fur trade and 18th century films.

The Mountain men had a lot of good one liners.

Back