• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Mountain Men movie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my favorite and funny movies of all time was The Mountain Men, a 1980 film starring Charlton Heston and Brian Keith. My brothers and I watched it so many times that we could quote the whole script. There were so many "one liners" that dealt with life, and it's misfortunes. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but if not, you'll have to find and watch it. In between all of the humor is a pretty good story line.

When asked by other hunters how many prairie dogs my hunting buddy and I had seen in a particular dog town we always answered "as many as stars in the sky!". They always knew from that answer we weren't going to tell them squat about our favorite hunting spots.....

"There ya go "sumptin" again!"
"Ore-gon? Why would anyone want to go to Ore-gon?"
"Nasty talkin Bast---."
"Stay down flatlander!"
"Crow G-- D--- it!"

I had the pleasure of attending the premier showing of that movie in 1980. Charlton Heston, his son Fraser and his wife, and Victoria Racimo (who played the female lead), all spent three days at the 1980 NMLRA/NAPR Joint Rendezvous in La Veta, Colorado. Fraser Heston wrote the script for the film. Fraser and Charleton both took part in a rifle match at the rendezvous where the targets were raw eggs. Victoria wanted to learn to throw a tomahawk correctly and did so. Brian Keith was involved with another project in Hawaii at the time and couldn't attend. Columbia Pictures rented the drive-in theater in La Veta and that's where the movie was shown for the first time. Many of the non- speaking parts in the movie, including most of the people in the rendezvous scenes, were not professional actors but buckskinners who had been invited to participate as unpaid "extras" and Columbia Pictures provided the food and beverages while that part of the filming took place. Showing the movie to buckskinners first was part of the deal.

Bill Tyler’s famous words of wisdom about a forthcoming attack by Indians, “Don’t Miss”, and the way they delivered is unforgettable.

I had the pleasure of attending the premier showing of that movie in 1980. Charlton Heston, his son Fraser and his wife, and Victoria Racimo (who played the female lead), all spent three days at the 1980 NMLRA/NAPR Joint Rendezvous in La Veta, Colorado. Fraser Heston wrote the script for the film. Fraser and Charleton both took part in a rifle match at the rendezvous where the targets were raw eggs. Victoria wanted to learn to throw a tomahawk correctly and did so. Brian Keith was involved with another project in Hawaii at the time and couldn't attend. Columbia Pictures rented the drive-in theater in La Veta and that's where the movie was shown for the first time. Many of the non- speaking parts in the movie, including most of the people in the rendezvous scenes, were not professional actors but buckskinners who had been invited to participate as unpaid "extras" and Columbia Pictures provided the food and beverages while that part of the filming took place. Showing the movie to buckskinners first was part of the deal.
That would have been so fun. Our re-enactment group has got to be in some movies as extras, I even got to play the banjo in one part.

Back