• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Model 1831 'French' Foot Artillery Sword...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dispatch

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been contemplating getting one but can't decide on whether to get an original or a good quality reproduction, I'm just nervous when buying 'civil war antiques', there are so many fakes out there.

(Repro):
https://www.kultofathena.com/product/model-1831-french-artillery-sword/
This, for CW reenacting, doing a Confederate artillery impression.

I prefer this French version.

Manufactured at various French arsenals - namely Thiebaut (or Talibot) [a foundry in France], St. Etienne, and Chatellerault - and are so marked - along with month and year; various inspector's stamps.
Neo-classical in design, based upon the Roman Gladius. Nicknamed coupe-choux, which roughly translates to "cabbage-cutter."

This is a typical example of a French Artillery sword that would have been imported during the Civil war, particularly by the South.

It is in the typical style for these artillery short swords, though definitely lighter in construction than the official Federal design.

These rarely had any markings on them, so as to hide their origin, and prevent possible reprisals from the winning side should material support be discovered...
Thinking.gif

1831.jpg

If you settle for a reproduction at least you will have no doubts about what you have.
That and the fact I would be running around with an actual antique, the condition of I would not want to damage if it got marked or scared up from wear during normal functions...

Back