• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The ML Gunsmith's #1 No No!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm a machinist, crank up the Bridgeport. My brother's Bridgeport sees more wood dust, than metal chips.

I found a roller chain breaker works well as a spring vice with just a touch of grinding for clearances.

in a time long ago, and a land far away, when men were men, and giants walked the earth, there once lived a newbie tinkerer, who, by reason of cheapskatedness being imprinted on his DNA, felt compelled to use a pair of Chinese made vise grips, but was afraid that his perfidy would be exposed, so he hid the potential evidence by using a pair of surgical exam gloves (to suppress forensic evidence) and a small bit of leather from an old belt, to keep the offending "tool" from marking the spring.

this worked for many years, until he became enlightened, and now is the owner (and user) of two proper spring vises (one for the main spring and one for the frizzen spring)

I will neither confirm nor dent the identity of this individual, real or imagined, actual, virtual or potential, now, in the past or at any other time...

I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the communist party or any other subversive group advocating the violent or unlawful overthrow of the duly elected government...

:wink:

MSW said:
I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the communist party or any other subversive group advocating the violent or unlawful overthrow of the duly elected government...

:wink:

I was going to ask who.....but then I noticed you were from Vermont. :idunno: :rotf: :stir:

that was the 'stock answer' to the Senate SubCommittee on UnAmerican Activities during the McCarthy hearings ...

then, as now, the government had the power to destroy a man's life by compelling him to testify(or her - remember that one of their first victims was a lunch lady who worked at the senate cafeteria and was as unpolitical as you can get... answered all their questions and was unemployed and unemployable within a few months ... her only sin was (a) being black and (b) not being able to identify anyone else for McCarthy's circus) ... the accusation alone is sufficient ...

ok end of tiradw

Vise grips, schmeish-grips. A mere gun smithing misdemeanor. I, on the other hand, am a major offender...I sometimes sand a stock using only my fingers as backing for the sandpaper. Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

I don't know why you guys are making such a fuss :idunno: MY history book tells me that vise grips, channel locks and Dremel tools were all invented around 1749..... :wink: That's all the HC/PC reassurance I need! :rotf:

This calls for a thorough investigation. The NSA will be informed. Oh-- I forgot, they already know.

Actually my needle nose vice grips probably cost more than the spring vice and is infinitely more adaptable with it's companion swede leather jaw pad. :rotf:
I'll not be giving mine up anytime soon regardless of public opinion. Mike D.

Ok, hear it goes, (pull on collar to release heat and fig-git in my chair)I use blue lock tite-under all my barrel dovetail cuts and the sight fit into them.
Pass the hootch crock I need a draw! :rotf: Mike D.

galamb said:
You "heathens" are all going to black-powder hell.

:rotf:

I was being sent there once. But I had a BP .58 cal pistol with a full charge, and all I can recall is at some point.....it got so hot the darn thing went off....and here I am again!! :idunno: :rotf: :rotf:

Back