• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Miquelet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The miquelet is mostly associated to the countries of Spain Portugal, Italy Balkins and North Africa, This lock has modified internals of a wheel lock and was in production in flintlock and percussion for a period of nearly 200 years. Some of the better ones were of Spanish manufacture and made in Madrid but most countries had different styles of locks, there is a big difference in the shape of a Balkin lock and a Spanish lock See images .
Feltwad
The Spanish Lock

Spanish percussion lock

Lock internals

Why did they keep the Miquelet design so long? More efficient or just fashion?

Many Klatch said:
Why did they keep the Miquelet design so long? More efficient or just fashion?
I cannot really say because both Spain and more so Italy were producing flint locks has we know today. So maybe the miquelet was more of fashion to some areas .
Feltwad

More efficient or just fashion?

Cause in alot of ways they are more desirable then the mass produced modern flintlock (by modern I mean 18th century). Thinner/stronger guns with the spring on the outside (take a look at feltwads double gun picture, you aint getting those lines with the mainspring on the inside of the lock plate) Arguabley superior method of holding and releasing the hammer/cock......

Flintlocks are a pinnacle but only if you incorproate ease of manufacture and cost into the equation.

Think of the flintlock as a good solid 1960s chevy while the Miquelet is a 1920s touring sedan built in an old carriage works in Europe. What is better depends on what ya want/need.

Feltwad,

Thank you for posting these pictures and explanations. Truly enjoyed it!!

Many Klatch,

I have never fired a gun with one of these locks, but I have read they could use really rough grade/poor quality flints and spark reliably. Also read where the quality of flint mined in Spain was on the poor quality side, so that was probably a factor while they stayed so long.

BTW, some of these were purchased during the FIW from the West Indies by I think North Carolina, due to the critical arms shortage at the beginning of that war.

Gus

Adding to ddoyle's comments, because the Miquelet mainspring is on the outside of the lock, the stock does not need to have a pocket cut into the wood to clear it.

As many who have built flintlock rifles know, often the clearance for the flintlock mainspring is so great, it breaks into the barrel channel leaving little or no wood to speak of on the lock side, connecting the forearm with the rear of the stock.

With the Miquelet lock, this wood doesn't need to be removed.

Those pictures are fascinating, enjoyed them very much. The Spanish were sold on the design and openly stated it was superior to the flint lock design. How much is national pride and how much is fact is open to much speculation. The fact remains that the Spanish military switched to flint for the M.1752 musket but reverted in 1791 to the miquelet lock and remained so until the French influence around 1810-1815. A fair number of both military and civilian locks have vertical groves cut along the face of the frizzen, most likely to improve sparking. A light escopeta was available from Narragansett Arms for some time and once upon the time, CVA had a 61 caliber pistol (called a Ripoll Belt Pistol) available. They are fascinating locks.

IMG_1946.jpg

Managing "living history" programs in SW Florida necessitated finding a few miqulet escopeta or blunderbus with which to arm Spanish period reenactors. I built three from Rifle Shoppe parts. It is true that they are good sparkers with low quality flints. I save my worn out musket flints to use in them. I believe the Spanish and Portuguese clung to the design out of tradition. Also, with most of the action parts on the outside, cleaning does not necessitate the removal of the lock. Unlike the English and French muskets where lock screws were often lost in the camp cleaning efort.

Wes/Tex said:
Those pictures are fascinating, enjoyed them very much. The Spanish were sold on the design and openly stated it was superior to the flint lock design. How much is national pride and how much is fact is open to much speculation. The fact remains that the Spanish military switched to flint for the M.1752 musket but reverted in 1791 to the miquelet lock and remained so until the French influence around 1810-1815. A fair number of both military and civilian locks have vertical groves cut along the face of the frizzen, most likely to improve sparking. A light escopeta was available from Narragansett Arms for some time and once upon the time, CVA had a 61 caliber pistol (called a Ripoll Belt Pistol) available. They are fascinating locks.
Image showing the vertical groves of the frizzen
Feltwad

I have made a number of them. One like the last picture with the fancy one. but I canceled out
of photobucket and can no longer post....I have
been waiting to hear which is now the best one
to join. I have three piistols and one lock to
show................

wulf said:
I have made a number of them. One like the last picture with the fancy one. but I canceled out
of photobucket and can no longer post....I have
been waiting to hear which is now the best one
to join. I have three piistols and one lock to
show................
I had the same trouble with photo bucket I now use imgbb image hosting .
Feltwad

Thanks Feltwad and Britswoothy for the help. I will
have to look in on those...I would like to show
my miquelets too. I need something simple......
Thanks for the answers....

wulf said:
Thanks Feltwad and Britswoothy for the help. I will
have to look in on those...I would like to show
my miquelets too. I need something simple......
Thanks for the answers....
Looking forwad to seeing them ,good luck with the images
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back