• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The latest from Mike Gahagan.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the latest from Mike Gahagan. It is a .60cal. Rice EDL profile based on a Valentine Beck rifle. Also known as RCA #42.

IMG-4865.jpgIMG-4864.jpgIMG-4863.jpgIMG-4866.jpgIMG-4867.jpgIMG-4869.jpg

Last edited:
That's some fine gun work for sure.

The early dutch profile barrel is a very big barrel...even bigger than a D weight. I built one rifle with it and have been wanting another. They don't have it listed on their new site though. That lock is actually a Zornes Albrecht.

That's a profile that Allen Martin came up with if I am not mistaken, rice copied it off of his design.
She is a sturdy girl, no doubt. I have the one Martin9 built. Really nice balance.

Mike is my favorite builder right now. I have been fortunate to get to handle and study his copy of a Moravian "Jacob Graef" rifle which is currently on loan to my Teacher so I get to look at it every time I go over to his shop. It's been a huge help in getting some things right on my current build. Mike was recently featured in the Jan/Feb Muzzleloader Magazine.

This is a beautiful rifle, BUT...and this is where I may catch some flack. I don't understand, like or appreciate the incised carving in front of the patchbox on the original. To me it doesn't seem to belong or add to the overall beauty of the rifle. It seems awkward and contrived.

This is a beautiful rifle, BUT...and this is where I may catch some flack. I don't understand, like or appreciate the incised carving in front of the patchbox on the original. To me it doesn't seem to belong or add to the overall beauty of the rifle. It seems awkward and contrived.
Odd , yes. It's kind of a Moravian thing and fills up space nicely. ;)

Back