• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The late 17th century French matchlock musket 1660-1700 in Ne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have posted a small article on my web site pertaining to 17th century French matchlock muskets (mousquet à mêche) used in New-France from 1660-1700 based on the little information we have of these rare and scarce firearms.

[url] http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/mousquet/mainmousquet.htm[/url]

Kevin Gladysz[url] www.lanouvelle-france.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work, thanks for the link!

(if it doesn't work for you, note that it may need .htm on the address, as there was an accidental space in the address above.)

Lecoureurdesbois:

If anyone is interested, I have posted a small article on my web site pertaining to 17th century French matchlock muskets (mousquet à mêche) used in New-France from 1660-1700 based on the little information we have of these rare and scarce firearms.

[url] http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/mousquet/mainmousquet.htm[/url]

Very nice site! I was a bit surprised to see a regular trigger on the Type 3 Matchlock as I had read that the french never adopted that type of trigger with their Matchlocks.

Very nice work! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Thank you,
It helped me know where my upcoming matchlock fits in. Or at least there were matchlocks much like what I am building.
volatpluvia

Very nice piece of research. Are you going to try to get it published in print? :applause: :applause: :applause:

Kevin,
another fantastic addition to your wonderful site. I am a great admirer of all you have done so far. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for that site. I've always wanted to make a musket similar to the type my relatives carried in Canada back in the mid to late 1600. This will be a great help.

Andy

Hi all,

Would like to thank everyone for the kinds words regarding my article on matchlocks.

As for the Type 3 with trigger guard, we only know of one example with this type of trigger guard ressembling the British type of guard. We can only suppose that the French were using this type of guard in the transition phase towards replacing all matchlock muskets with flintlocks. The guard is definately in the French style of the period and it is to be noted that it has only one screw attachment hole at the back whereas the flintlock guards of the same period have two. Again this is only a suppostion on my part based on the Neumann example and the one trigger guard from Hamilton's work (view type 3).

As for publication of the article, there is no plans at the current time to officially publish it. Having said this, I will try and convert the article to a PDF (Adobe) format for ease of printing.

Kevin Gladysz[url] www.lanouvelle-france.com[/url]

lecoureurdesbois:

You know, after seeing the combination Flintlock\Matchlock combination Muskets on your site, I had to call up John Buck. Talking with him, he was definitely interested in building one for me. :shocked2: :)

SIGH, thanks to you, it looks like I have another baby in the making. :grin:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

lecoureurdesbois:

I have to thank you again for the website! Because of seeing the plans for a Matchlock\Flintlock combination gun, I had a long talk with John Buck. A few days ago, a deposit for a .72 Musket with the mechanism pictured below, was sent out to Mr. Buck.
06-522291.jpg

This one (I'm going to call her Wilma) is gonna be fun! Many thanks once again!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Forgive my ignorance here, but in the above diagram is item 'I' a swiveled plate that exposes a hole in the base of the frizzen to allow the match access to the priming powder?

Arquebus:

Forgive my ignorance here, but in the above diagram is item 'I' a swiveled plate that exposes a hole in the base of the frizzen to allow the match access to the priming powder?

Yes, that is correct. There is a picture at the site that shows such a frizzen on an actual lock.

I like it that the back of the frizzen also becomes a flash guard for the the Matchlock.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Yes, after posting my question I saw the other photo on the website, which made it very clear. You know, we have so much to learn from these old guns & their makers. They were so inventive & resourceful there's virtually nothing they didn't try! Always something new to learn, & so much knowledge has been lost over the centuries.

very interesting project...
I was thinking myself it might be interesting to get one of the late french matchlocks that had a special large flintlock made to convert them - but this is even better! :thumbsup:

Back