• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Last of the Mountain Men

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a book I had the pleasure of reading years ago called ''Last of the Mountain Men'' by Harold Peterson. A biography about a man named Sylvan Hart, that lived full time in the wilds of Idaho on the River of No Return in the 1960's. He was a blacksmith, muzzleloader, gunsmith and a so called primitive , real life mountain man. Everything he needed to survive he made with his own two hands, hunted,fished and gathered in the wild. An excellent read and he was a man after my own heart. I had always wanted to live that way, but life had other plans. I guess I was born 175 years too late !
I Still have that book, I had bought it at a used book sale back in the 80'... You can still find it on Ebay, definitely worth the price...

I could see it for squirrels, birds, rabbits. Even if you double ball it, your using approximately the weight of 22LR. I'm sure he had several guns. I'm waiting on my book to show up.
True, it's very possible also. .22 is a good size for small game. If I remember right he was doing his own Blacksmith work, so probably did have more than 1 gun.

Back around 1980-81 my old school, Fort Hays State University here in Kansas, had an opening for a journalism professor. Harold Peterson was one of those who applied. The department head narrowed the list to two. He asked me, an older non-traditional student, for my opinion of them. I gave my reasons for hiring Peterson and not the other, and he was hired. I moved to TX before Peterson started teaching and didn't get to meet him. He didn't work long before committing suicide. I belive it was over a divorce.

I first read the hard back edition checked out of the library. I have a paperback where I can easily lay my hands on.

It arrived today. The book will need care and love to survive.
But here's a couple pics from it. No mention of a 22 caliber as yet.

Attachments

• 20221215_161433.jpg
    20221215_161433.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221215_161443.jpg
    20221215_161443.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
It arrived today. The book will need care and love to survive.
But here's a couple pics from it. No mention of a 22 caliber as yet.
Those look like some nice Muzzleloader rifle's, I think he made those himself. I met a guy into muzzleloading years ago that made a .27 caliber and he said it worked nice. Sounds like an interesting caliber, unfortunately I did not get a chance to shoot it. Enjoy the book.

I have the book, lived only a hundred miles from him in Idaho after I retired. Hunted and fished just south of the area he loved. He was a legend in Idaho. Dale 🦨
Thats cool. He lived on his own terms and was self reliant and depended on nobody. I like the fact that he did not have to give all the sharks money just to survive.

I stopped at his "place" when on a float trip across Idaho on the Salmon river about 25 years ago. All the rafting services stop there & "tour" the ruins. It was an impoverished place. Very crudely built. His "hut" where he lived was barely 6' long with only enough room to lay down. There is no "cabin"! Can't imagine it was an enjoyable existence. Those of you that think this is a lifestyle to be followed need to go there & see before you say you would like to emulate it. The guy was an anti-social fruitcake living in total isolation from reality in the most crude manner imaginable, not someone that should be romanticized. Just the opinion of someone who has actually been there.

I remember a book I had the pleasure of reading years ago called ''Last of the Mountain Men'' by Harold Peterson. A biography about a man named Sylvan Hart, that lived full time in the wilds of Idaho on the River of No Return in the 1960's. He was a blacksmith, muzzleloader, gunsmith and a so called primitive , real life mountain man. Everything he needed to survive he made with his own two hands, hunted,fished and gathered in the wild. An excellent read and he was a man after my own heart. I had always wanted to live that way, but life had other plans. I guess I was born 175 years too late !
I recently finished the book... very interesting, is a good way to describe it.
He doesn't speak much of what we call Mountain Man activities; trapping, shooting, hunting, fishing, tanning hides, his rifles. Other than a short blurb, the guns aren't talked about.

He, and the author, spent many, many pages devoted to old ghost mining towns, the killings and stealing that went on, and so forth. Also lots about the area and people who lived when he arrived in the late 30's.

I enjoyed the book, but I think the title is misleading. It deals much more about other events from the late 1800s then I was expecting.

If you like historical tales... and who on here doesn't... the book is for you.

I remember from the book that he ordered a piece of Swedish jackhammer steel to make a rifle barrel. He bored and rifled it on handmade equipment, finished the whole project and stood it in the corner for a YEAR before firing it.
I read the book in the'70s and have remembered that part. I've built a couple of modern rifles, but who can wait a year to see what it can do?
Not I...

Last edited:
Back