• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The last hawken I’ll ever have to buy! Roller, Weimer, England!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here it is my latest acquisition and the last of its kind I will have to buy (lol yeah right these guns are like crack!) saw it pop up and contacted the owner and struck a deal! I’m very happy to own it and wanted to share it! Looks a lot like the kit Carson gun but the barrel is a bit longer. It’s a .54 1 1/8-1”x34” barrel made by Lynn Weimer lock and triggers are Bob roller 87. Gun was built by Rod England. I love these hawken guns and can’t wait to take it to the hawken classic this year!! Has some other nice touches as well, poured nose cap and captured wedge pins to boot.
I've bought my Very Last Gun of any type several times now...

Good to see Rod England is
makeing guns last I knew of him he was being forced To quote " Get a Real Job !" I my self have only made 200 plus guns various , but I travelled a lot so considering that's not too bad . But I concluded that in the main most gunmakers don't get into it to make money paydays being well interspersed ..But they can go to a shoot or a travelling trip ,, gun show ,hunting or R vous ,as it suits them . Mix with fellow gunmakers who are not usually conceited fellows (Some are ) & they live, So it's a sort of kudos winning interesting' way of life'. Bit akin to an artist they always starved in garrets before they became known . Then once dead become deified and their work much sought after .Take Vincent Van Goff never sold a painting , they look like Kindy kid attempts his relations bought them to save him starveing he gets all frustrated cuts his ears of (Well he was no' oil painting' )Yet now anything he did is mega bucks at auction . Well we arn't quite in that same league & I've never met a gunmaker sans ears . Still there could be a sort of parallel most I expect are self-taught most if with exceptions made pretty ugly first offerings they might want to buy back & bury. Rod seemed inspired he focused on Vincent rifles & Shuotzen rifles if I recall correctly .
I did what I or the patron fancied very diverse and much of an archaic nature rarely two similar . Had I or my peers took jobs as council road sweepers they would likely have made good steady wages ..But that's not what inspires us or that's how I see it perhaps Rod might give us his take ?.
Regards Rudyard

Rod is a good friend and an excellent builder… I’m envy..
Been trying to convince Rod to make the trek to the HawkenClassic - hope to see you there.
Congratulations!

All the halfstock and fullstock Hawkens I have seen andhandled have only the heel of the buttplate touching the ground when the barrel is vertical. The toe of the butt is off the ground. The Lyman "Hawken" did not include this is their replica nor do many modern knock offs. Bob Roller locks were in the Hawken Shop catalog early on. Lynn may have made some nice J. J. Henry rifles. He was featured in one of the Book of Buckskinning volumes.

Mike just out of curiosity how much does the rifle weigh? I remember when they came by my camp at the Hawken Classic and showed me the original I commented on how heavy it was (1 1/8) also. That gun of yours must go over 10 lbs I would think.
I will weigh it when I get home tonight but I’m sure it’s every bit of 10lbs perhaps close to 11??

Well here it is my latest acquisition and the last of its kind I will have to buy (lol yeah right these guns are like crack!) saw it pop up and contacted the owner and struck a deal! I’m very happy to own it and wanted to share it! Looks a lot like the kit Carson gun but the barrel is a bit longer. It’s a .54 1 1/8-1”x34” barrel made by Lynn Weimer lock and triggers are Bob roller 87. Gun was built by Rod England. I love these hawken guns and can’t wait to take it to the hawken classic this year!! Has some other nice touches as well, poured nose cap and captured wedge pins to boot.
Mike I keep returning to look over your Hawken. Maybe I haven’t seen enough “real” Hawkens or maybe I just don’t know better. But with that being said, I think your Hawken is perfect. Every color, tone, and line is exactly what I like. Congratulations again.

Good music.
Mike I keep returning to look over your Hawken. Maybe I haven’t seen enough “real” Hawkens or maybe I just don’t know better. But with that being said, I think your Hawken is perfect. Every color, tone, and line is exactly what I like. Congratulations again.
Great music!

Also thank you very much, I’m very pleased to have it! I did talk to Rod England on the phone yesterday and I have to say he is a real gentleman! Makes me love the build even more! He told me he builds his guns to be used and hunted with and that’s my plan. I hope I can get down to the property this week and sight in and load develop so I can hopefully bag that Buck that eluded me during rifle season! I’m also going to be planning an elk trip, a very good fried lives in Mancos CO and has quite the spread that backs thousands of archers of public land. This will be the rifle that goes with me!

Hah, it doesnt have enough Brass bling to be a reel Hawking .....
Reel Haukins? Why just accross the ditch was the real Tony Hawkins he made a great shooting brass blingy made down to a price Hawkeny looking rifle " To get the Jokers shooting "was how he put it . Brilliant self-taught engineer I worked for him doing developement & he paid me in Barrels one of which I made into a'' Poor man's full Match" & it still As far as I know holds the highest score in the replica event in the MLAGB shoot at Bisley short range Champs . On' short Siberia' If by Gordon Gerrard not me I only made the rifle & Tony's barrel did the rest . For NZ shooters they are the iconic' number 8 wire & buzzy Bee toy ' There is NO way Ide lug 10 pounds anywhere I might hunt unless it was edible . Cheers Rudyard who like horse muck gets every where !

Latest posts

Back