• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Jenks Carbine, a blast from the distant past

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a Jenks Carbine several weeks ago and after searching for months. Found this one and it is really nice. Made in 1845, 174 years ago and still looks almost unused - probably was used little. I machined a nipple wrench to remove the nipple, which holds the lockplate against the barrel. I took 15 photographs of the lock, breech area and the nipple wrench, 4 of which were in focus (I really don't like a lot of 'modern' technology because you only get 26.6% results a lot of the time. This camera may have a 3 pound lump hammer in it's future!)

Many of you probably have not heard of this US adopted carbine because there was only about 4,125 (+ or -) made, but that's what the internet is for - do a search.

Here are a couple of photos of the lock and breech area and probably the only photo of the interior of the Jenks lock known to mankind:
101_0116.JPG
101_0118.JPG
Click on the thumbnails & they'll enlarge.

I'll try to photograph some more tomorrow. Mike

Currently making a Jenks combination tool for my carbine. Found this photo on the web in a book titled U.S. Military Carbines, the photo of the page must have been taken inside because there's a definite yellow color to it (and the page is curved in the photo). I have the nipple wrench part made & am working on the screwdriver portion. The large screwdriver is for the butt plate screws and the small driver is for the barrel band, trigger guard & one lock screws. There's going to be welding involved - that should be interesting. I'm making the screwdriver in one piece & will cut a slit in the center, heat & bend it, then grind the stem of the nipple wrench to fit into the bend area.
00 nipple wrench b.jpg

To all you vets - have a good Veteran's Day, fly the flag.
Mike
Vietnam Vet, April - November 1972 Operation Linebacker & Freedom Train
USS Hanson DD832, Gunnersmate 3rd Class

:D:D:D

These were used in Texas during the brief "Lone Star Republic" days. There should be a flask that allows you to introduce the requisite powder charge behind the ball after it is seated and before the breech is sealed... I'm sure inclined to think you could make one if you can't find it! ;)

I don't know about making that flask DaveC - that's a pretty tall order. Here's a nice original one. It's 9-1/4" overall length if you feel like making your own.
18662226  9.25 in. long.jpg

I saw one with broken parts for $395 last week - I passed on that one easily.

I finished polishing the combination wrench the other day. Here it is with the Jenks -
101_0143.JPG
Here's an"action shot" of the wrench in use -
101_0145.JPG

101_0147.JPG
Here's a picture of the removed nipple showing the side slots cut into the nipple for the wrench lugs -
101_0150.JPG

later, Mike

Latest posts

Back